MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

View Poll Results: Are you a blue collar or white collar worker?
White collar 55 36.91%
Blue collar 94 63.09%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Skilled

White. I am a development project manager at a digital publishing aggregator. I supervise application development and requirements engineering for proprietary applications we use internally.

Pretty much the opposite of knifemaking.

http://www.schottknives.com
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Registered

white but blue collar at heart i think. i am a district guy for a large retail outfit. just like Steve said, it's a privilege for us white collar guys to make something we can hold, touch and look at...
Old 11-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Guru

My day job is as a machinery builder.I do all the precision and electrical panel assembly.Also welding and machining. I carry a Leatherman and one of my utility knives and usually a small friction folder of mine.Dave
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Skilled

White collar here. Office/IT manager. I've switched back and forth in my career but mainly white collar. Since I got out of the Navy I've been mainly working with computers in almost every aspect except Data Bases which are for really crazy people like subriders in the Navy.

I do have to agree that one of the reasons I like knifemaking is that you have a finished product in front of you when you are done. You have actually made something.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Living Legend

Jayson,

What did you do in the Navy? I did 6 years has a pit snipe MM on the Detroit and took a 7 year break and now am an ET in the reserves.

Jim

Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac
Jayson,

What did you do in the Navy? I did 6 years has a pit snipe MM on the Detroit and took a 7 year break and now am an ET in the reserves.

Jim
I was a CTO for COMSECONDFLT. Not much at see time and no duties during GQ as we were mission critical and couln't leave our space. I did get to do the DC/Firefighting school in Norfolk which was a blast. Wish I would have stayed in now but at the time my ex-wife was making me choose the Navy or her. But all things being the same my life has turned out well and I wouldn't have met the greatest woman in the world.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

I am now white collar. Started out in the foundry though. We bang hot metal but it really gets hot when you melt it!! Then went to engineering school and wound up in the construction industry. Too much pressure as a contractor so I scaled back and now am a salesman for a door and lock company. It is somewhat of a technical field as doors and locks have really gone high tech with electrinics. I carry a small Old Timer 3 blade.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered

Blue here...........Telcom tech for a small local telphone co. My company is small enough that I get to do a wide variety of work, dirt work and pc programming all in the same day!
Right now I carry a Benchmade mini Griptillian.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 AM

Blue coller alll the way. One more in the list of oilfield trash. Im a company man.
the company i work for has a policy saying you cant carry a knife. I carry a case trapper
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Master

Brown collar here.

I'm an archaeologist for the Tennessee Department of Transportation, which means I sit at a desk most of the time, but also travel the roads of 25 counties to make sure we don't bulldoze something we shouldn't...

I always have a Swiss Army knife on my belt no matter what, sometimes an old Boker penknife in one pocket, and when in the field I have a 26" machete to clear brush with that rides behind the seat of the truck.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Enthusiast

White collar here. I'm a Clinical Laboratory Scientist. And yes I carry a knife to work.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Skilled

Blue here. Full time law enforcement for the past 20 years.

At least 1 knife at all time.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Hall of Famer

I guess I'm white collar, officially, though I never wear one. I'm a wildlife biologist. I carry a Swiss Buck in my pocket, a Leatherman at my belt, and there is a 4 inch drop point in my desk drawer (a little big to carry around full time). I plan to make a small EDC for myself one of these days. . .
Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Blue collar. Tool and Die Maker, I keep a small folder in my tool box.

Alan
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered

Blue collor guy and steel and oil has been my bread and butter, except for 10 seasons commercial fishing in Alaska. My Gerber multi tool is a part of my daily wear.

Tags
back, bee, blade, brand, custom, damascus, fixed blade, folding knife, forging, hammer, how to, hunting knife, iron, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, kydex, military, pocket, randall, sheath, spyderco, steel, wood