MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 07-18-2001, 03:11 PM
J Loose

Wanted: Cheap Grinding Belt Dealers w/ Good Service.

So I tried to order some 2x72 belts for me new grinder yesterday ( Tuesday ) thinking I could second day air them and have them in time to work over the weekend. I've been w/o grinder for over two weeks and I'm -behind-!

I called G.L. Pearce since they seem to have the cheapest belts advertised in Blade or KI: 2x72 for $1.70 US. But they didn't answer the phone or return messages so I called them back today and they were supposed to get back to me on the second day air price. Well they didn't and now I'm even further backed up.

I'm pissed!

I could go with Grainger or MSC for next day delivery but their 2x72's are $5.00 !

Anyone know of a cheap source for decent belts who has a proper business decorum?
Old 07-18-2001, 06:30 PM
atbarr

Usually, cheap price and Good Service do not go together. Anyway, check out James Poplin at www.popsknifesupplies.com/

A good price and great service.

A.T. Barr
www.customknives.com

If you make, sell, or just love knives
and want a website with your name
customknives.com/your.name,
for $70.00 a year, check out
www.customknives.com/webdesign

Old 07-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Craig Blankenship

Try Industrial Abrasives. I've used them for 12 years and they have good quality for the price. These ain't 3M, Norton, Hermes,etc. by any means, but still good quality for the price. I'm not sure about next day air shipping. They also offer wholesale prices in not that large of a shipment.

Hope this helps.

Here is their link
www.industrialabrasives.com/index.html
Old 07-19-2001, 12:49 AM
TMarshman

I'll second the Pop's recommendation...

I bought some stuff (not belts) from Sheffield and that went smoothly, too.
Old 07-19-2001, 07:18 PM
Raymond Richard

I haven't had any problem with G L Pearce as far as service but its been over a year since I've delt with them. I haven't felt like their belts hold up very well. Mr. Loose, what belt grinder did you finally get? Ray
Old 07-19-2001, 09:37 PM
J Loose

Hey Ray,

Got the Coote 10". Just came in today. Just need some belts and I'll post a review.

Actually, G L Pearce called the next morning and was able to ship out and get the belts to me by Monday, but I really wanted them Friday.

I don't think I would be so annoyed if I wasn't so behind!

I'm actually going to start another thread concerning belts in Tool-time.

Thanks all for the info and numbers.
Old 07-20-2001, 06:10 PM
lwj2

I've use Klingspor as a supplier for most of my abrasive needs except for Dico polishing compounds.

Their abrasives may not be the least expensive, but they are the cheapest. They cut well, and last longer than any other I've used.

Leon Jester

Here's the url:

www.klingspor.com/
Old 07-21-2001, 03:16 AM
ansoknives

Without knowing the market in the US I think that if you by bulk you can get good discount.

When I started using my grinder I asked around what kind of belts I should use. Then I called the local salesman and asked for a 40% discount if I would buy minimum 300 belts a year.after some haggeling I got it trough a tooldealer in my neigborhood. They even get me 25-40% on anything I buy from them now.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:30 PM
J Loose

Jens,

That's a good idea - going with a local salesman to angle for a discount. I'll give it a try...

Thanks
Old 09-09-2001, 03:29 PM
lwj2

I've been using Klingspor for abrasives for quite a while, they have reasonable prices and their belts wear like, pardon the pun, steel.

They stock 2x72 belts from 100-400, and are starting to offer down to 80. Prices from $4.57 to 3.95. Generally offer quantity discounts.

Their URL is: www.woodworkingshop.com/

Shipping is flat-rated, and if they backorder you and split a shipment, they eat the cost of the second shipment. UPS surface. Nice folks.

Leon Jester
Roanoke, VA.
Old 09-09-2001, 03:46 PM
Mondt

I've used G.L. Pearce exclusively for about 3 years now. Gary has bailed me out on a couple of occaisions. I am now looking to go to Trizac belts for longer life so I am looking at Sheffields. My brother who is a gunsmith uses Supergrit. I just got their catalog and they have about the same pricing as Pearce.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:38 PM
Man O steel knives

good belts

Industrial Abrasives. I have used them for 15 years and the service is good. If you want second day air the will ship them. I live in Kenai Alaska and the get her in two days UPS. There AO is as good as anybodies for $1.70 a piece. Hope tis helps.
Tom Broome
Old 06-01-2002, 09:52 PM
jantzsupply

Call Jantz Supply - Just say Venice Okayed a CDK Special on any sanding belts. We ship same day and TRY to keep them in stock - we have Klingspore and other brands, all USA or Canadian Materials put together in the USA. We have speciality belts as well as aluminum oxide in grits from 36-800 GIVE US A TRY!! And I extend the discount off our already low prices to anyone reading this from CDK. Look forward to serving you soon!!! Call 1-800-351-8900 or visit our website www.knifemaking.com
Old 06-02-2002, 10:24 AM
Cactusforge

No discustion on grinding belts is compleat without mentioning Tru- Grit and Norton Belts. Yes I am a big fan of them, Hoggers 36 grit to 120 grit Norzon belts go out to
1000 grit or better, once you have used them it will be hard to go back, thay simpley grind 10 times the knives that other belts do. There number is 1 800 532 3336 try them you will like them. Gib
Old 06-02-2002, 08:15 PM
roycustomknives

Jonathan,
I agree go with Pops, he may not alway be the most inexpensive, but he tells it like it is, his word is his bond, and in this day and age, I'll spend the extra few pennies, it's not worth my time to play games. I use his ceramic 977 60 grits and I also use jflex belts. He a real gentleman.

Rene
Roy Custom Knives

Tags
blade, knife, knives