MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 01-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

BOB!!

I came across a business op this week!!!!!!!!

I work in a rather infamous chemical/plastics plant. As per some government regulations, we need to test emissions from a couple units. In the past, the stack testing company would roll in a small trailer with their testing gear in it and set it up near the unit being tested. One or two guys would work with the gear on the stack while one or two sat in the trailer and ran the instruments. But this time our safety people refused to sign off on the project. Since the BP explosion in Texas City - and the subsequent government report on that - companies will no longer allow trailers in any kind of blast zone UNLESS the trailer is rated not to collapse under the pressure in that area.

Who has trailers like that? Not many - and none of the testing companies (emissions, NDT, acidizing, etc.)

The ports are full of shipping containers (because the Chinese can build them cheaper than we can recycle them). They could be strengthened and have some doors and ports added. You'd have to get an engineer to certify a blast rating. Lease or sell them. Or build some other buildings or such that can withstand the pressure without collapsing.

Your connection with the demolition folks could prove useful in setting this up. Seriously big $$$ are potential from this as every plant in Texas has turnarounds or testing scheduled for this year.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Living Legend

TexasJack, I sent you an email.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Hall of Famer

Bob, my weekly Rotary Club had a speaker this week that has all the answers for you, and I'm dead serious. It's called "SCORE". It's a Non-profit organization of vollunters that provide information to people wanting to start their own business. It's free for the asking. He had piles of manuals and information that covered everything. The guys that help you are businessmen in the community that donate time each week for counciling. There's no hidden charges, this is not a gimmick. I don't have the brochure in front of me, but just google it and you'll hit right on it. It's the most amazing free service I've ever seen. The #1 thing they'll help you do is set up a Business Plan, one of the most essential plans anyone in business should have. If I wasn't already established in my current job as a self employed woodworker, I'd be on their doorstep. For those that are already in a business, this "Score" thing can offer all kinds of services for you on anything, it's absolutely unreal, please contact them.
Robert (I'm not connected, I just know that I really liked this organization).

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Living Legend

Robert,

I have used SCORE in the past. Unfortunately I did not have as much luck as apparently others have had. I went to them and asked for help in creating a business plan and was just told to research it on the web and copy one already out there and change the parts that affect me. I also worked via email counceling with them for a long time and got very wishy-washy advise that usually led to just figure it out yourself.

I quit using them and plan to just figure it out myself after I find a business I think I will like and that will support my family.

After probably 10 trips to the local SCORE office I left frustrated. Wish I could try it in another city, might be better but the Dallas area SCORE office is not living up to the hype SCORE in general has. It is as if they are afraid to get suede if their advise does not work out for you so they stay very vague in their replies.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Hall of Famer

That's to bad Bob, it's fantastic in the San Antonio area. I don't know the problem with them up there, but I'm going to send your email (less name and address) to the guy that addressed our Rotary club and see what he has to say. I wouldn't hesitate to go to the bunch in this area, and in fact I'm going to in order to talk to them about sorting out a few problems I have.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 01-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Umm, Bob, your email never got to me. Try texasjack @msn.com, or drop a pm.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Skilled

Bob, have you thought of a knfie making school? Somewhat like the one in AK?

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 01-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Living Legend

Jayson,

I have been giving classes for years but don't have the facilities for a school and doubt I could keep it busy enogh to live off of. I would love to do it but as a business I would not think it would succeed.

As a good, fun weekend, like a hammer-in, I am sure a few bucks could be made but I have to concentrate on full time income.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Steel Addict

what about a cat or dog motel,they make a lot ,can be run buy unskilled labour(mostly)and youve got the room to build it by the sounds of it.i know 2 people who have them and there allways out fishing !!!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Barbecue ribs, coleslaw, baked beans, garlic bread/corn bread in a truck/lunch wagon.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 04-15-2007, 04:10 PM

I was thinking along the lines of that guy Hugh Hefner, he started the Playboy Club. That probably would be a fun business with a good profit margin to boot.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Skilled

nothing specific to suggest but a fella I know who is extremely well off and I were chatting about business at his summer home. he told me something very interesting.

" you want to be a household name, something that someone associates with the product. ie people dont think of ibuprofin they think of 'Advil'....barring that level of market saturation just remember that those that serve the masses sleep with the classes"
Old 06-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Registered

I have owned and operated several businesses; ranging from extremely successful to just barely profitable. My advice is to sit down and do some soul searching as to what you are really good at and what you are passionate about and go from there. Not everyone is cut out to be in real estate nor is everyone cut out to run a SubWay. Go through the yellow pages of a big city to get a few ideas.Good luck and God bless
Old 06-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Living Legend

Thanks Murf. I have gone through the yellow pages (Dallas) several times. I have a couple things that make it hard for me to determine what to do.

First, at 50 years old, I STILL do not know what I want to be when I grow up.
Second, I have issues that restrict my physical abilities so many things are out due to that.
Third, most things I am passionate about I am not very good at.

I am to the point to thinking that Extremely profitable is more important than enjoyable due to the need to take care of my family and get some insurance coverage.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Registered

A company that allows me to find your email, I'm in Royse city and looking to get a lesson or two, haha (:

Tags
knife, knife making, knives, made, supplies