MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Guru

Blade Show in atlanta

Hey guys so I know its still 2 months out but I am wondering if anyone is planning on going this year? or even has been in the past? I have never been but I am really trying to go this year. I have a couple things I have to take care of and get the money togather. But I am like 75% sure I am going. So number one as I said is anyone planning on going? If so we should all meet and have a "Knife Network" lunch! Also if anyone has been in the past I would love to know details...how big anything that goes on or even just how good of a time you had. The only 2 knife shows I have been to is a very small local one that turned out to be more of a military equipment thing than a knife thing..I also went to the New York knife show....wich was very cool but from what I can gather the blade show in Atlanta puts all the rest to shame.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Skilled

I believe Carl (Crex) goes and has a booth. I thought about it last year but didn't make it. Dunno about this year, I'm more interested in going to one of the regional hammer-ins.

If you're coming to ATL from NY make it a vacation. Lots to see in ATL.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 04-05-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I went to the Blade show a couple times many years ago when it was in California. It was large and very impressive, lots of cool stuff. I got to talk to some well known knife makers. That is also where I saw a $600 knife I liked but was too stubborn to buy. Ultimately, thinking about that knife is what prompted me to make my own although it was a few years later before I finally took the first step on that journey ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:55 AM
Guru

About why I started making knives Ray

I couldn't afford a nice knife that held a edge well. I could make them I figured, having done so in the 70s with some files I tempered back a little and wore out the belts at work for filet knives so that I didn't have to sharpen every other fish. I commercial fished and had to filet a lot of fish. I've never been to the Knife show, but would like to go. I may this year if I don't move to NM.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 AM

Been a table holder for the last 20 or so years. It's purported to be the biggest in the world (I wouldn't know, as I don't go to many others). There are makers and dealers from every corner of the earth. You can see and meet some of the finest knifemakers (as well as many less skilled).

It is a big show and you can expect to be a bit overwhelmed when you first walk in. Plan on at least two days if not all three, wear comfortable clothes and good walking shoes, carry a backpack/rucksck/satchel for your plunder, and plenty of money. The ATM's tap out early at the show.
Plan on where you intend to stay as parking can be a buggar now that they built the new Braves Stadium across the highway. Make sure your hotel/motel provides a shuttle to and from if you can.
Think about how you will get your plunder back home if you fly in.

The Blade has a pretty expensive entry fee so 3day is best bet. If you can get hold of a VIP pass it will make the fees a good bit "lighter" and you can get in "Early Bird" before general admission opens. Plan on getting your pass early as the lines on Friday am get long fast.

Last of all make sure you stop by my table (below) and introduce yourself.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The Blade Show is unique in that it is the largest knife show on the planet. There is no other venue that brings together people from every corner of the knife world.

Personally, if an individual is a knifemaker, I believe it is a must attend show. If you are a knife buyer/enthusiast, there's simply no other place/event where so much is available.

The first time you attend can be overwhelming. There is simply so much to see. Most seasoned attendees literally map out then things they want to see/do on the show floor, and IF they manage to meet all those goals, THEN they just keep looking for new things.

The thing that always amazes me is that "stampede" that happens when they open the doors on Friday..... people literally run to their favorite maker's table(s) in hopes of getting the knife/knives they desire. Every spectrum of people are there.... from Japanese business men with their interpreters, to Grandmas with their grand kids. It's just awesome.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Guru

WoW lots of good info. exactly what I wanted to hear.

haha Ray sounds just like when I went to the NY knife show (wich I guess is tiny compared to this one) But I saw a couple folding knives I wanted but wasn't going to spend that much. As soon as I came home I jumped right into making folding knives.

Crex that's awesome you've been hitting it there for so long. i will deffinitly stop by and see your knives if I am able to go. I am hoping this will be the first of many trips. Who knows maybe I can have my own table one day. I was already offered a VIP pass so that's already taken care of. From what I understand you still pay a fee but its discounted and you get to go early on Friday.

Ed as I said I went to the NY show wich was very nice but when I was told how big this one in Atlanta is ......my brain almost blew up...but as you said it definitely sounds like something every knife maker should do.

I really hope to go this year...I am about 90% now just have to figure out if I can stay at a friends house or if I will have to get a hotel. I want my car so I will have to drive. Hopefully my buddy can get a few days off work to come with me. A 16 hour car drive alone isn't going to be fun lol.....As I said in the original post when it gets closer to the time all of us that are going should set a time to go get lunch or dinner or something. Personally I would love to meet all you guys that have helped me the past couple years!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 AM

Not to say I don't like the sound of lunch (I like eating and visiting as much as anyone), but as table holders/vendors it is really hard to slip away from our tables during that time. Seems like the crowd gets thicker as soon as you put something in your mouth. Most of us try to have help to cover our table when/if we get a chance to run out for a minute. Almost impossible to see the whole floor if you have a table....just the way it is.
We run go visit with as many of our co-conspiritors as we can before the show opens, but it's very difficult to catch everyone even with three days.
I do hope you can get a lot of the folks here together could be fun. Best bet is hitting the "Pit" after
hours over in the Waverly. That's where a lot of us often try to hook up.

I cannot not do this show as it is only 14 miles down the road and a lot of my clientel is here in the southeast US.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Skilled

Is this at the Cobb Galleria center?

dtec, one thing you may consider on the way down or back is a slight detour through Sevierville TN for a visit to Smokey Mountain Knife Works. BIG retail outlet with many things knife related. A little out of your way but just a different route to-from NY.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 04-07-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Guru

CREX...... Yeh I get it you gota be there at your table as much as possible. Either way I will deffinitly stop by your table for sure....maybe meeting up after hours would be possible. I was told by another person that has a table there every year that there is basicly a party all the makers they all hang out somewhere a bar maybe resuraunt?? is this the PIT you were talking about?

WNC.....I am going to check the map right now and see how far out of the way it is. I would love to go there. I do have a few things to figure out tho. I am deffinitly driving I just don't know if I am driving by my self or if someone is coming with me. My only 2 friends that would be interested probbily cant get the time off work. So I have 1 or 2 other people to ask and see what they are up to. I actually have someone else that is driving that lives right near me but I would be stuck in the backseat wich I cant do because of all the problems with my knees it hurts if I am in the back seat of a car for a hour let alone 16 hours. So I got a few things to figure out....cash is a issue to if I can make the smokey mountain trip with out being so far out of the way I would need another night to stop and sleep then yeh ill deffinitly stop thanks for the heads up going to check the map right now
Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 AM

Yep it's the "Pit", it's over next door at the Waverly (all buildings attached and easy to find). Quite a few of the makers/vendors park there for an after-hours social. I'm at the age where I don't enjoy that stuff anymore and am just wanting to get my feet up in a quiet place. You really won't realize how loud it is at the show until you walk back outside.

Goater, yes it's at the Cobb Galleria right between US 41 and I-75 on the south side of I-285. Right across I-285 from the new Braves Stadium. Just pray they don't have a home game that weekend.....

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Yep it's the "Pit", it's over next door at the Waverly (all buildings attached and easy to find). Quite a few of the makers/vendors park there for an after-hours social. I'm at the age where I don't enjoy that stuff anymore and am just wanting to get my feet up in a quiet place. You really won't realize how loud it is at the show until you walk back outside.

Goater, yes it's at the Cobb Galleria right between US 41 and I-75 on the south side of I-285. Right across I-285 from the new Braves Stadium. Just pray they don't have a home game that weekend.....
Yeah I checked the website. Very familiar with the Cobb Galleria, having gone there twice a year for about 15 years to the Jewelry market. I know how it is after spending all day at a show, just want to go crash. But IF you get a chance to go across the street to that big mall, there is a restaurant called, Maggianos I think it is. The fried zucchini ... oh my gosh! Better get there early or you'll wait forever.

dtec, I assume you'd come down I-95 to I-85 to ATL. To detour you'll have to come through VA on I-81 to Knoxville and Sevierville is a slight detour from there, just off I-40. Backtrack to Knoxville. You can get to Atlanta from Knoxville without any trouble on I-75 which comes out right at the Cobb Galleria. That would even save you from getting on that fricken I-285 beltline around ATL.
You better make sure your racing motor is tuned up for that 285 racing!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Last edited by WNC Goater; 04-10-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 AM

On I-85, you'll need that jet pack to make it across the missing bridge section.......

Lots of good places to eat around the Galleria, and they all get packed early during the Blade Show so timing is critical. Do your research. Since you are driving you might want to consider hotel/motel a mile or two outside the perimeter and driving in, you can save a good bit (more to spend inside).

Haven't checked the new Braves schedule, just hope they are on the road that weekend. Lot of new resturant venues affiliated with the stadium complex as well (I'm protesting them using my higher paid taxes so millionaire playboys have a nice place to play baseball....so I won't go there).

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Guru

yeh thanks guys.....I haven't looked much on what routes to go but I cant go for long. I plan on leaving here wed morning driving about half way then stop to catch a few hours sleep then drive the rest and get there Thursday night check in to the hotel get up early fri day hit the show then on sat. I am going to the show and try to hit everything I missed on Friday. but most likely I am going to start heading home saturday night and stop half way to sleep again. I figure coming home if I do it at night time I should miss a lot of traffic. The problem is as of right now I have to me home early Monday. However I am trying to move things around to give me a extra day but not sure yet. Also looks like I will be driving alone. The 2 friends that would be interested probilly aint going to be able to get off work. Another friend is driving himself and his girl but they will be making it a longer trip than I will so cant go with them. One other friend isn't local but he is on my path down there might come but wont know for a couple weeks. Kinda hoping he can make it because driving a 30 hour round trip aloneis going to be SUPER boring. But I am determined to go one way or another
Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Skilled

I-81 or I-95, either way is about the same travel time near as I can determine.

Crex, the collapsed bridge is on I-85 north of the city? Like coming south BEFORE you get to the 285 beltline?

For some reason I thought it was south of there, like going toward the airport.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Tags
awesome, back, bee, belts, blade, buy, california, easy, edge, files, home, japanese, knife, knife show, knifemaker, knives, make, makers, making, military, mountain, post, show, small, tap