MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Registered

maker's mark on damascus

I've been making fixed blade knives for a while now. I purchase blades from Alabama Damascus in Jacksonville, AL. I'm totally happy with their quality and service. The blades come to me already hardened to R-58-60. Do any of you folks have a process for applying a maker's mark to the blades?. They come to me treated with Ferric, and coated with epoxy. I can remove the black finish and buff them out, but then I have to re-treat them with the Ferric. Electro Etch leaves a "muddy" etch due to the un-even surface. I see quite a few Damascus blades here with crisp, sharp markings. Is that because they're stamped prior to heat treating? I really would like to be able to mark them af
Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Steel Addict

If I'm understanding you correctly you buy "pre-done" blades. In my opinion, and no offense intended, I would consider it dishonest to put my name on a knife that I did not make create (besides the steel, and I always try to give the credit to the individual who actually forged the damascus). But if all you are doing is putting a handle on a blade, I think most would not consider that to be a handmade knife. There has been a large amount of discussion about what is "hand-made, custom-made" and the likes. But atleast me personally I would not feel comfortable with that situation.

Again, please do not take offense to this, none was intended, just how I feel as a maker that creates everything from raw materials. Also if this is not the case, disregard my entire post :-)
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to levensailor.r
I have to agree I wouldent put my stamp on a blade I dident make...I wont even put a handle on a blade I dident make..if you do its only fair to tell the customer that you dident really make the blade you just put a handle on it.that way in fairness to you when the blade fails you can tell the customer you dident make it..

Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
I noticed that nobody told you how to put the mark on. I would like to know. I'm thinking about putting it on before the etch and coating with some resist.
In your case maybe try to just mark it, no etch.
Will be trying something.
Take care TJ

Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Skilled

when you get to making the blades... after heat treating, and cleaning up the blade again... use your Electro Etch to apply your mark. then you can mask that off with nail polish before putting in the ferric chloride.

myself... I hand engrave my name on the spine of the blade before etching. it just gets etched deeper and still comes out clear enough. if I want it to stand out more I can sand it down just slightly and polish up the spine and contrast more against the darker engraving and file work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oiseaum...s/13071170323/

also im in agreement about the only signing blades you make issue. you can get the whole billets from brad and shape your own blades just as easily. were I not in an apartment, and able to build my own forge... id be making my own steel too, but I do what I can for now.

Tags
bee, blade, blades, custom, damascus, epoxy, etch, fixed blade, forge, forged, handle, handmade, heat, how to, hunting knife, knife, knives, make, maker's mark, making, materials, post, sharp, steel, surface