MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:15 PM

Hanford Miller ~ Viking Dagger

Had a chance to photograph this beautiful Viking dagger recently. OAL 18 1/2", Blade is
12 3/8", 5160 steel. Fittings are nickel silver.

I didn't have it long enough to shoot more angles on it, which is too bad because all the curves in the handle are ellipses. That may not seem like such a big deal but I haven't seen it that often and the overall effect is quite nice. The pommel is of the classic "lobated Viking" style which dates back to the first half of the 12th century. Another nice detail: the spiral grain pattern in the handle runs opposite the grooves in the (double) guard.

Hanford Miller is an ABS mastersmith and retired board member. He does commissioned pieces for loyal patrons who never seem to get enough of his work - so he's not that well known. I've never seen any of his knives on the secondary market. He and Bill Moran were close friends for many years. Very nice guy and quite a character too.

Quiz! What kind of wood did he use in the handle?

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Buddy, would that be red oak on that beauty?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Guru

Buddy, I'm with Sandy, but I think it's curly red oak...Bud

Old 02-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to chuckbop
Buddy , nice lighting this photo. Not easy on an 18' piece especially with the mirror finish. Did you use the T&S lens? Chuck
Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Very cool looking dagger There are couple of Master Smiths from the "Moran School" that manage to keep apretty low profile and don't seem to produce a whole lot of pieces, at least as far as i can tell. I was thinking specifically about Mr. Miller, Robbie Hudson and Jack Fuller. I managed to score a Hudson hunter from the early 90's and was very pleased. But it seems that it is hard if not harder to find knives from these guys than it it to find Morans.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:33 AM

Chuck - Yes, these days I always use the tilt/shift lens although, in this case the camera angle was not very acute so depth of field wasn't much of an issue. Still, I like being able to turn the knobs, look through the viewfinder and confirm that everything's in focus stem to stern. The one down-side, as I mentioned to you a while back (and it's a function of the 90mm focal length), is occasionally (especially with a longer blade like this one) having to fully extend my tripod and stand on a step stool to get the shot. If you're still lens shopping, take a look at Canon's new 50mm L series lens. Next time I rob a bank I'm gonna get that lens!

Sandy & Bud - You fellas is my home boys. I was born in Union, SC and grew up in Charlotte, NC. Yes, it's Oak alright - Curly White Oak. The thing that makes it so unique is that it's quarter sawn, plus Hanford tilted it just right to get the angle on that dark spiral, then shaped it, then cut it to accept the silver bands. It's a gorgeous piece of wood, something you don't see that often because Oak is not considered very 'exotic.' Hanford's thinking was, in part, that it's a bit more authentic since Vikings would have had access to it, or very similar to it.

jdm61 - Right you are. Mark Sentz is another one I think of. And I think it is easier to find Moran knives for sale. After all he made a ton of knives during his fifty year career. Most 'full-time' makers that I know would have a hard time keeping up with Moran's handmade production.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Steel Addict

Simply stunning!! Thank you.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Well, I just can't resist the urge to 'doodle'...

Old 03-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Buddy, That's a great looking photo of the Hanford Miller blade. My buddy is one of the people that Hanford makes blades for. I'll send him the picture. Nice link to your photos page. Alot of great blades there. Jim Treacy
Old 03-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Thomason
Chuck - Yes, these days I always use the tilt/shift lens although, in this case the camera angle was not very acute so depth of field wasn't much of an issue. Still, I like being able to turn the knobs, look through the viewfinder and confirm that everything's in focus stem to stern. The one down-side, as I mentioned to you a while back (and it's a function of the 90mm focal length), is occasionally (especially with a longer blade like this one) having to fully extend my tripod and stand on a step stool to get the shot. If you're still lens shopping, take a look at Canon's new 50mm L series lens. Next time I rob a bank I'm gonna get that lens!

Sandy & Bud - You fellas is my home boys. I was born in Union, SC and grew up in Charlotte, NC. Yes, it's Oak alright - Curly White Oak. The thing that makes it so unique is that it's quarter sawn, plus Hanford tilted it just right to get the angle on that dark spiral, then shaped it, then cut it to accept the silver bands. It's a gorgeous piece of wood, something you don't see that often because Oak is not considered very 'exotic.' Hanford's thinking was, in part, that it's a bit more authentic since Vikings would have had access to it, or very similar to it.

jdm61 - Right you are. Mark Sentz is another one I think of. And I think it is easier to find Moran knives for sale. After all he made a ton of knives during his fifty year career. Most 'full-time' makers that I know would have a hard time keeping up with Moran's handmade production.
True. Mark seems top be concnentrating more on making the Moran style folders, whihc, according to him, have been a big hit with folks like the Safari Club guys. I bought a small folder from him at the 2005 Guild show. You are correct about Bill Moran. He made a LOT of knives, but his later, more highly decorated blades are as scarce as hen's teeth.... That seems to be the case with some of his MS friends too, which makes sense, considring the amount of time that goes into making some of those silver wire inlayed knives and the collector demand for them. Jay Hendrickson may be the exception and Ihave no idea how he maintains his volume considering not only the complexity of a lot of his work, but also all of the numerous knife community duties that he has taken on over the years.

Tags
blade, knife, knives