MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Tools - Novice starting from scratch

I am a complete novice but would like to try my hand at making a basic fixed blade knife or two. I will be building a small 12' & 8' work shop shortly and hope to have it up and working by the end of the summer. In the mean time, I intend acquiring my tools so the purchases are spread over a period. I have done some searches on this and other similar sites and have a rough idea what I need and I have also ordered Goddards
"$50knife shop" as a primer....

I have found a source of decent engineering files but I am a bit
bewildered by the sheer range of sizes/types that are available.

So my question is what sizes should I get first? I was thinking some basic flat files, but do get say 10" and just stick with those??? Or would I be better getting 12" or even 14", and then adding a set of 6" or 8" later???

What other tools will I require? I have a dremel already and I want a small bench drill as well, but I am not sure what size/power is sufficient?? I have seen a good deal on a Sealy but I don't know their reputation as a brand??

Regards,

Pete
Old 06-17-2003, 06:03 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It really depends on what you plan to do with the files and how large the knives are that you plan to make. For me, a few chainsaw files, a small triangular file, and a cheap set of needle files are all I need.

If you plan to grind your bevels by hand with a file, you'll need a large, coarse file that removes steel quickly. But, if you have a belt grinder and you want files for fitting a guard, then needle files will probably do....
Old 06-17-2003, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

I'm a newby myself.. and have yet to complete a knife...

I will tell you.. that once you get into this.. (The experts here know much more than I could ever tell you) But... once you get into this.. Scant tools that are needed to make a knife is one thing.. TOOLS that you'll want to get is another.
I started out with a small cheapo belt sander... Now.. I've got a garage shop full of tools... and haven't yet finished a complete knife.. (one that I made the blade myself.. I have a few I finished that I bought the blades already made)
I have... 2x72 Grizzly knife grinder (not the best.. but it will have to do for me... Coote is supposed to be much better, KMG, Burr King.. all extremely better and extremely pricy.)
I have a drill press.. floor model.
2 bench vises.. 1 is extremely versatile.. and swivels in many directions.
Small bench size band saw... (wood cutting type for handles and such.. don't have the bucks yet for a metal bandsaw)
2 other belt sanders.. 1x30 and 4x36.
Bench grinder--used for profiling and buffing (have to switch wheels.. I have the stuff to build a buffer by itself right now.. but haven't done it yet)
Cutoff saw.. with abrasive cuttoff blade..for cutting large steel into smaller (duh)
Homemade forge- washtub forge I got the design from a knifemaking video... I mounted it to a cart so I can wheel it outside.. as I don't want to die in my garage trying to heat treat something... just waiting on the blower..
I have numerous other things.. including a large toaster oven for tempering... propane torch and solder for the guards and stuff.
3 work tables.. large tool cabinet full of stuff like.. wood for handles, wire for pins, materials for finishing wood etc.. Apoxy glue, buffing wheels, sanding belts,... etc. etc. etc..

As you can see... it can snowball into a mountain.. rather quickly
Old 06-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome to ckdf, pete.
as suggested, it will depend on how many of the knifemaking operations you intend performing with the files as to the size and type you will want.
also, the fellows on the european forum might be more knowledgeable as to what is available to you locally. i know that international shipping can get expensive.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Skilled

Go to every garage sale you see.you must become a packrat
all my drills cost $5 each. A few vises ,C clamps, lots of files you'll
find you need to alter some of them. Buy some shop roll 80 grit
to 320 grit .The grizzly is on sale right now $330 will get it to you.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/pages...A&site=grizzly

really get what ever you think you need because you will need it

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 06-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GANNMADE
Go to every garage sale you see.you must become a packrat
all my drills cost $5 each. A few vises ,C clamps, lots of files you'll
find you need to alter some of them. Buy some shop roll 80 grit
to 320 grit .The grizzly is on sale right now $330 will get it to you.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/pages...A&site=grizzly

really get what ever you think you need because you will need it
I totally agree with you.. I've been scrounging ...here and there.. for all kinds of stuff.. things I thought I would never use.. all of a sudden.. a light bulb goes off in my head.. and I realize.. HEY..I could use that for this.. etc..

example.. is files.. I bought.. Craftsmen files.. not real expensive.. BUT.. they are LIFETIME guaranteed... so.. IF they dull or whatever.. I just take them back. I Read on Warners site.. about using GOLF Balls for handles.. and guess what I did.. YEP.. went walking around the local Golf course.. AHHHHHH... now I have handles for my files.. LOL.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Skilled

EVERY THING I THINK I SEE BECOMES A KNIFE TO ME
SHADES OF THE TOOSIE ROLL SONG

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 06-17-2003, 08:59 PM
Living Legend

Pete,

Read the two sticky threads at the top of this forum. There is a list of tools in the one I did but both have a LOT of good information in them. You may get some questions answered there.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 06-18-2003, 03:19 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
about using GOLF Balls for handles..
Recommendable - the golf balls are just great handles for needle files (I guess it's the closest to playing golf I'll ever come ). My favorite file size is 8", but I've also got 6" - and buy a file now and then when I feel inspired.

One of my most useful tools is a small drill press - a cheap "made in China" model, but ok. I use it for drilling, obviously - also good for drilling holes through 3 layers of leather in pouch sheaths - and I also have a 6" drum sander attached to the drill press which I use for handle work instead of a belt grinder - the drum sander will probably go on retirement soon, as my 2x72" belt grinder is almost finished and ready to use.

I have a 7" disc sander, very useful for profiling etc. It's an attachment to an ordinary electrical drill made by Wolfcraft (cost me about 55 $). It goes too fast to be excellent, but I've used it a lot and plan to construct a 12" disc sander in the near future.

I've got lots of "necessities" like other toolfreaks on this forum , but these are the tools I started out with and still use frequently.

Jette Bybjerg
Old 06-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Living Legend

That is also as close as I will ever get to playing golf.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:02 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

Pawn shops are my favorite place to shop.

If the drill press is marked 75 bucks, offer them 50.
Bench grinders for under 20 bucks,dremels for 10,saws,grinders, even the files are there, just make an offer.

I offered 20 bucks for an old small drill press marked 80.
6 weeks he said no, but the 7th week he needed a sale and took it. 6 speed drill press for 20 bucks.:cool:

You may find a pawn shop owner that likes knives.
My guy does his Christmas shopping in my knives, and I get run of his pawn shops.God is SO good to GenO.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Living Legend

You can do amazing things with little.

There is a maker in ?Belgium called JensJ who posts on these forums. The stuff he does is absolutely inspiring given that he uses files and sandpaper. Also, if you are not doing your own forging or heat treat, it simplifies things (?maybe). My suggestions for tools/equipment. Most things you can get good stuff for second hand/ used and it shoudl be OK.

Safety gear - mask, eye protection, gloves. (NEW)
A good bench vice - might as well get something good now.
A good table to mount the vice on and to hijack as your worktable.
A couple of screw-on C-clamps.
Basic measuring, marking stuff - permanent pen, steel ruler etc.
A clean flat surface eg.- a piece of Micarta put aside, to check your surfaces for flatness.
Hammer - only 1 needed - flat side and ball-pein the other side.
12inch hacksaw with bimetal blades.
FILES (NEW)
SANDPAPER (NEW of course)
DRILL PRESS and range of drill bits from 1/16inch up to 1/4inch.
ANGLE GRINDER WITH CUT-OFF wheel. (? also called a chop-saw?) Makes life a lot easier for rapid cutting but noise ++++

For files, I suggest one called a Magicut file which is excellent for rapid stock removal. It is more expensive but will do good work. Usually only available in 12inch or 14inch lengths. Fine flat files in 8inch up to 12inch are not expensive and a few different grades will cover all your profiling needs. For working with wood, I suggest forgetting about rasps, and just getting one 12inch half-round file that lets you work contours.

Sandpaper is equally important. I suggest getting quality sanding sheets from the start - use the resin-bonded ones - can't go wrong with wet-and dry sheets. A sample selection might be :-
80, 150/180, 240, 400 grit and maybe if you want a finer finish, 800, 1200grits also. O grade and OOOO grade steel wool for finishing wood, cleaning.

A cheap bench top drill press served me well, but is now on its last legs after almost 2 years. Mine cost me only about $60USD new, and I used it for everything from drilling, of course to grinding, sanding, milling, buffing. Get a couple of cobalt carbide bits eg.- 1/8inch and 1/4inch for metal work if you like.

You should be able to make nice knives with just these things. Start small and you won't be disappointed.

Good luck. Hope this made sense. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 06-20-2003, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the input folks...

I have just ordered a drill press (which i wanted anyway) and I am waiting on tender hooks for "$50Knife Shop" to turn up! Between that and the great tutorials and general articles on these forums, I am sure I will have enough info to get started!

Thanks again,

Pete

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives