MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Advice needed - making patterns, stamping, burning leather

I haven't been working with leather for very long. I have only finished six projects so far, but I am learning more with each one. I am lacking in good techniques to add designs to my projects.

I was wondering if anybody is burning designs into leather, possibly using a wood burner? Or, would this damage the leather?

I have experimented with stamping the leather, and have had mixed results. I have used a basketweave stamp, and like how it looks but I need better technique. I am not sure of the proper way to stamp a sheath that was wet-formed around the knife? If the leather is stamped before the wet forming, much of the stamp design is lost once the leather is stretched around the knife. If I wet form the leather to the shape of the knife first, the leather is then hard and shaped like the knife . . . making it difficult to stamp because it is not flat. I was also concerned that re-wetting a sheath for stamping, which has already been shaped to the knife will take away from the shape. The wet-forming is easier for me, because I can get it to fit tightly, sew it up and then trim it right around the stiching.

I realize that it may be better to cut out a pattern first, then stamp the leather before sewing the sheath (not wet-forming at all). I do not have a good method to figure out right where the stitching will be and where the stamps should be before it is put together. I usually try to figure the pattern out by wrapping paper around the knife first in order to simulate how the leather will sit. Then trace the paper onto the leather. I find it hard to make a nice shapped snug fitting sheath this way.

This is why I was wondering about the possibility of burning designs into a wet-formed sheath that is already sewn.

I would love any advice about techniques to make patterns, stamping techniques, or possibly burning designs. Thanks.

Last edited by GJL; 11-12-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
GJL---if you are serious in your pursuit of bettering your leather working skills, here is the best advice you will ever receive to achieve that objective. There are currently tutorial DVD's on the construction of knife sheaths by two of the best in the trade. Chuck Burrows (aka Wild Rose on the forums) and Paul Long (aka Sheathmaker on the forums) have produced the best info that it has been my pleasure to view in MANY years. Their information is pertinent, to the point, readily understandable, and will ease the pain of self learning which can take years. This is not a sales pitch, but a statement from one that has been there and done that----Sandy Morrissey

Old 11-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Sandy,

How, or where can I get these videos? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Hall of Famer

I'm not Sandy but I know that Jantz has Chuck Burrows' DVD. You can also check with USA Knife Maker Supply, they may have both and don't forget Amazon. Go to their DVD listing and search for knife sheaths. Also let me echo Sandy's advice. Watching the process of sheath making is much better than reading a book or reinventing the wheel on your own by just trying to skull bone it out. By the way, Chuck show a much easier method of laying out the pattern for a sheath. It's also got me around a few problems that I have run into making sheaths.

Doug

Last edited by Doug Lester; 11-15-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the props, Sandy.

GJL. the information on my DVDs is at the bottom of the post in my sig line.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Morrissey View Post
GJL---if you are serious in your pursuit of bettering your leather working skills, here is the best advice you will ever receive to achieve that objective. There are currently tutorial DVD's on the construction of knife sheaths by two of the best in the trade. Chuck Burrows (aka Wild Rose on the forums) and Paul Long (aka Sheathmaker on the forums) have produced the best info that it has been my pleasure to view in MANY years. Their information is pertinent, to the point, readily understandable, and will ease the pain of self learning which can take years. This is not a sales pitch, but a statement from one that has been there and done that----Sandy Morrissey
The three best in the business would be Sandy, Chuck, and Paul. As it happens, Chuck and Paul made terrific tutorials. Someone (I can't remember who) that has made sheaths for years posted some pics of his sheaths before and after watching Chuck's video and the difference was obvious. I'm a lowly beginner and I was surprised how much I learned. I have seen nothing but praise for both maker's DVD's. They are worth every penny.

Tags
forge, knife, leather, post, sheath, supply