MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Skilled

bm sharpening angles

Would anyone happen to know what angle bm bali's are sharpened at?i just picked up a new sharpener,it seems 25 is to much as its bringing the edge a bit higher then i'd like.but i think 20 is to little because im getting more of a wire edge.its a razor for about 2 mins of cutting then becomes dull.i know it takes practice ,just thaught it'd be a bit easier if i knew the angle they used.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Skilled

Hiya Bali ....Benchmade uses "CATRA" machines to sharpen almost all their knives. This is a double disc angled grinder (quite costly).., and I believe they use a 22 degree angle (i.e., 44 degrees included).

I'll find out and let you know.

CATRA rigs are not uncommon in the production knife industry.., and have been used for many years by Leatherman.., and some other major cutlery companies. Pro-Tech Knives also uses this machine on many of their knives, and they are extremely effective with a very short learning curve, and no real knife making skills necessary. The drawback of the machine is for blades that have a significant recurve.

For those interested, you can find a good deal of information -HERE- regarding these machines. There are many sizes, with a fairly wide range of features, but as mentioned, they are not uncommon at all for larger companies that specialize in production cutlery.

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 01-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Skilled

Thanks Pete!!the more i play with the sharpener the easier its becoming.you can really make an old beat up edge look professional with a bit of practice.

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives