MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Blade West Show...... Excellent show!

Just returned from the Blade West Show last night. It turned out to be a very good show, and I think it will just get better.

I rode out with Jon Christensen, Mike Mann, and Steve Kelly. The trip out and back was great (as it always is when you get a car load of Bladesmiths together). The show was held at the Holiday Inn Convention center near the Portland, OR. airport. The accomodations where very nice. The Convention Center was also a very nice venue. There were about 100 tables at the show, with many top name makers and suppliers. We experienced excellent crowds all three days. Things were a bit slow on Sunday afternoon, but then they always seem to be that way at any show.
The show staff was just super! Mary Lutz, Steve Shackleford, and Joe Kertzman know how to put on a show, and are just the finest sort of people to boot.

Someone with a better memory than me will have to post up all the winners of the custom knife competition. The only ones I can remember are Jon Christensen winning the Best Fighter with a mosaic leaf pattern blade that is just out of this world, and I won the Best Handforged.

I think this show is just going to get better and better. I was obvious that folks in that area where hungry for a quality show, and I think they got their money's worth with Blade West. I've decided that it will be replacing another western show that I've decided to drop from my schedule.

Sales were not "booming" but were well worth the trip for me. If your interested in a quality show in the Northwest, you can't afford to ingnore this one!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Living Legend

I am glad to hear this show went so well for you.I will miss seeing you at BACKA.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

BAKCA wasn't a good show for me this year, but it still has a chance of being on my schedule for 06......I was referring to another "western" show.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Skilled

Maybe you are a "malcontent" (grin).

Old 10-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Gee Bill, imagine that.........Me...... A "Malcontent"!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 10-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Master

Congratulations and nice doin's to win the Best Handforged!!! Even from pictures your work looks extremly fine !!! Frank

Old 10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Ed...

It was a pleasure having you here in Portland. And you are very correct in stating it was an excellent show! The knives that were in attendance were top notch!

The knife that Jon won with was soooo sweeeeet! It was one of the knives that I fell in love with. (There were quite a few)

By the way, I tried out the grinding technique that you explained to me.. worked slick. I'm not sure why I never thought of that before. Oh well... it worked! So, again, thanks for the pointers.

One more thing... when you looked at my pictures of some of my knives that I've done, you are the first knife maker that didn't wrinkle their nose and make a point out of showing me everyting I've done wrong. That really meant a lot!

Chris Nilluka
Old 10-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Steel Addict

Glad you did well, and enjoyed yourself.

I talked to a number of people at the show while it was going on (via cell phone from home) and it seems to me that the Blade people should put it somewhere downtown, within walking distance of some good restaurants and other night life, as opposed to way out in an industrial area with NOTHING around but some warehouses???

Just my opinion of course.............but it was voiced by all the people I talked to.

John 1:17
Love is Stronger than Death

Fight Crime-Shoot Back
Old 10-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Chris:
Glad that I could be of some help! And as for crinkling my nose at someone's work....who am I to do something like that? Everybody had to start somewhere, and my first couple dozen knives looked a WHOLE LOT worse than those!

Tom:

I may be mistaken, but I believe initially it was going to be in the "downtown" area of Portland. From what I heard, parking was the major issue that caused it to be where it was/is. I heard many of the folks who live in that area say that there is just no parking anywhere in down town Portland. Not making any excuses, that's just the information I heard.
If it stays in the same place or not, I'll be going back. Sales were good for a first year show, and I suspect they will only get better.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 10-05-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
wrinkling nose

hey....you can wrinkle your nose at my stuff, ed....lol. actually, i took a couple of my knives to the FKA show, and one guy asked if number 3 (theone without the glaring screw ups) was for sale, and when i told onemaker how long i had been making knives, he asked if the blade was one i bought...lol. i have gottenthe forging part down and that was encouraging. that said, i messed up another one today...lol onward and upward
Joe
Old 10-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Hall of Famer

I met with Mary Lutz when she came to Portland to check out the Airport Holiday Inn. If you have ever tried to find a place to park in downtown Portland you'd appreciate where the show was held. The main reason it was held where it was is because of easy access from the airport plus the free shuttle service.

As far as the show goes I like Ed think its just going to get better althought I thought it was a real good show for being the first time there. First time I've ever done a knife show and slept in my own bed. You just can't beat an easy 30 minute drive.

Congratulations to both Ed and Jon!

Old 10-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Ray,

I forgot about you being that close to the show! You lucky dawg! Not that I didn't enjoy riding with Mike Mann, Jon Christensen, and Steve Kelly, but darn! It took me three days to recover from the trip! Next time we'll just have to come to your place and bunk in that nice new shop I know you'll have by then.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 10-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Ed, The new building will have a seperate section for the hay. You could stay in there , just don't let Jon smoke.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives