MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Master

two questions

have two quick questions for all those in the know.... any ideas what kinda steel tai uses for his post anvil......and number two.... when using a coal forge do you just kinda thrust the steel into the coals and let them fall over the sttel or kinda set the steel on top?

thanks bill

Old 03-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Misternatural?

Hi Bill. That post anvil is some kind of weird non magnetic "manganese steel", I think. It is a bit tougher than mild steel. When I bought it, I just figured it was mild steel and mild steel should work for that type of anvil.

When you use coal you must first convert it to "coke", to drive off the sulfur and impurities. The steel can absorb sulfur and become very brittle. The fire should be deep enough so that a few inches of "coke" are between it and the tuyere, and a few inches over the top of the steel.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

Not sure as to the steel Tai uses for his post anvil, but from watching Tim Lively's dvd, you want to have some fuel over the top of your steel as well as under it. If you leave a part uncovered, it will not get nearly as hot. (The tip for example can be left out so as to not be overheated.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Master

ok so mild steel will work for a post anvil where i have alot of mass right under the hammer, then i guess as it dents you can simple reface it? ok tai stupid question how do i make coke?

Old 03-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Misternatural?

With a mild steel anvil you can planish the dents out with a hammer.

Coke is made by pre-burning the coal to drive off smoke and impurities, similar to making charcoal from wood.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Master

so i would just let the coal burn for awhile then add the steel and some more coal as needed?

Old 03-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Misternatural?

You can tell when it turns to coke by when it starts to clump together and become light and fluffy.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Steel Addict

I find it's safe to put the steel in when there is a whole lot less of the nasty yellow smoke comming off the fire. Once its coke you shouldn't really see anything comming out of it.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Steel Addict

Greetings, BobO,
Glad to see you show up. I like to drink Coke and forge with wood.
I like my RR track anvil. If you can get it cut it should make a good post pounder.

Or maybe just stand it up as is.

Tags
forge