MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-16-2001, 08:49 AM
Ed Caffrey

Still here and kicking!

Hi Everyone!
Just wanted to let you know that I'm still here. Haven't posted much in the last few days because of being busy in the shop. Have worked up a few new folder designs, and made a bunch of mosaic. As soon as I get some of it into blade form I post some pics.
Heading for the shop now......will check the forums this evening!
Old 02-16-2001, 05:02 PM
robertwashburn

away

We were beginning to think you had left for good.Glad to see you back.Thanks for the reply the other day.I think you were right.A bunch of us will be at a show this weekend south of Atlanta and I will see if your on the money. later
Old 02-18-2001, 08:42 PM
dogman

Re: away

Ed has folder fever!
Old 02-19-2001, 09:39 AM
Sweany

re

Hey, just checking too. How's the "Fever"

Old 02-19-2001, 04:59 PM
Ed Caffrey

Re: re

Well, the fever is in full swing! Today I cut out 7 sets of liners. 4 of Ti. and 3 of 15n20. I'm really beginning to dislike Ti. It is such a pain the butt to work with, dulls everything it touches, and eats betls like crazy! I think I'll finish the ones I have made up, and then stick with 15n20 for liners..........to heck with the "light" thing.
I made the mistake of showing the Mrs. what I was up to, and now the law has been laid down! She WILL have a mosaic and white pearl folder before I sell any.....she never did say "Or else!" But then again, I'm not sure I wanna find out what that might be!

I think the thing that is turning my crank about these folders is that each one is a little different than the last, with it's own set of problems to solve.....sorta like starting knifemaking all over for me.......yep, I'm hooked! (AGAIN)

Old 02-19-2001, 05:12 PM
Terry Hearn

Re: re

Folder Fever!! Sorry Ed, sure hate to hear you have that awful stuff:evil: :

Old 02-19-2001, 05:29 PM
Tnbowie

I to have folder fever , after 35 years of fixed blades , it about time you think , as you say each is diffrent and the learning is great and a new way to express and use what little skills I have ,
Im also going crazy over powder ,
the two will hold my attention for a while,
I will be building a Rolling machine I hope soon and to learn what patterns that will create will also be a learning experience
Ed send all that nasty Ti my way,
If I might ask where are you getting powder
Bowie= Ron Claiborne
Old 02-19-2001, 09:37 PM
Ed Caffrey

Ron,
I'm getting my powder from Swain Spring service here in Great Falls. Several years ago I gave a class to the owner, and ever since he has been into the knife thing. He carries a whole list of stuff, and usually it's one stop shopping for me.
They are also the outfit that makes what I believe is the best forging press out there right now.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives