MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:09 AM
Registered

Jaguar Balisong + ebay question.

Jaguar Balisong its on ebay and its pretty cheap at knife zilla its like 28 bucks so i was wondering if it was a good knife and wanted some knife weight info... other than that on ebay it says taht this knife is 5 cm long but is it really 5 cm long? cause tahts about 1 inch... whcih isnt really worth buying if its a 1 inch knife but i dont think jaguar makes a knife tahts 1 inch long someone get back to me on this tyty
Old 07-18-2004, 06:11 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcrajiee
Jaguar Balisong its on ebay and its pretty cheap at knife zilla its like 28 bucks so i was wondering if it was a good knife and wanted some knife weight info... other than that on ebay it says taht this knife is 5 cm long but is it really 5 cm long? cause tahts about 1 inch... whcih isnt really worth buying if its a 1 inch knife but i dont think jaguar makes a knife tahts 1 inch long someone get back to me on this tyty
Selling balisongs over 2" in length on eBay is prohibited, so to avoid having eBay shut down the auction, sellers often list balis a having 5cm blades.

I won't comment on the quality of the knife simply because I do not own one. That and it's really just a ripoff of the BM42.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Ya get what ya pay for..............

LIFE/ENDOWMENT/PATRON NRA MEMBER
Old 07-18-2004, 10:35 AM

The seller brags that the knife is light like titanium, but the handles are a 'cast material'. Ugghhhh. Pot metal filled with air pockets. I think you deserve better.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Skilled

Welcome to Knife Network dj...

You've probably figured out by now what the guys think of that particular Jaguar model, but there are certainly more than a few that started out with a Jag.

The particular model you are looking at there, is actually not nearly as good a practice knife as the Jaguar Classic, which weighs about 6.5 ounces. If your budget confines you to that general price range, I'd keep searching and find the Classic model that's been around a long time.

A Jag-is-a-Jag-is-a-Jag, and no matter what model you get, you're still dealing with the same cast pot-metal handles Coop mentions, but I do think the "Classic".., is a far better knife than the one you are looking at there ~~> plus you can actually cut with it! What a concept huh....lol???

With any of them, you'll find you'll need to repin the pivots fairly quickly, but that's not to hard to do with 6 penny finish nails. I've also seen 'em for around $18-$19 now and then, so that would be how I'd go if you realy feel you can't spend the mony on a Benchmade, Typhoon, or Spderfly right now.

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 07-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Registered

classic?

is that the one you are talking about for the jaguar classic balisong? its like the secnod one down... i was wondering how much longer will this knife last compared to the other one above it? and if ill have any maintence problems.

are the pins on that jaguar easy to fix? like allen screws or phillips? thanks for the help guys.

oh yea and balisongs on ebay are really like 4 inch blades then right?? hahaha just making sure...
Old 07-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Skilled

Actually dj.., the knife I'm referring to as "The Classic".., is the skeletonized piece a bit farther down.

It is impossible to predict how long one Jag will last vs. another, but that M4 you were looking at is total junk ~~> there's just nothing nice to say about the knife in my opinion.

Yes.., the pins aren't hard to fix at all, if you want to go through the hassle. Clay Groskranz has a tutorial on his site -HERE-, that tells you exactly how to do it.

The pinning of the classic does not involve any type of screw, so just check out the tutorial.

Lastly.., yes, the demensional aspects of Balisongs on eBay are often inaccurate simply to avoid the "bot-scanning" built into the software on eBay. The knife you were looking at on eBay is the M4.

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 07-18-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Tags
balisong, butterfly knife, knife