MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 03-24-2004, 07:47 AM

Mad Dog knives?

I need to be educated. I see these tactical-based knives for sale on other forums. To me they seem like a good knife. But, they are absolutely plain and functional, and nothing much else. Black blade finish, one-piece composite handles, no folders.

The prices they seem to command are astounding. What gives? Why are they so sought after and valuable?

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Hall of Famer

I've wondered that myself. Plus, who buys them? In other words, what's the market?

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Guru

Coop, you haven't suddenly developed a taste for black turd tacticals have you?

I don't own a Mad Dog knife and don't have strong opinions for or against .... though I suppose I'd buy one if the right opportunity presented itself.

I would say the attraction is similar to owning an Emerson. Tough tactical knives with their own styles and bands of users and supporters. The prices might be higher than those of many competitors but that's the way the market works isn't it?

Roger

Old 03-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Steel Addict

From what I have been told, Kevin McClung is very particular about his heat-treating techniques, which result in a very high performance blade.

On his website, he has an article that criticizes several alternative heat-treatment methods, although, unfortunately, he doesn't seem to divulge much about his own methods.

Here is a link to that article: http://www.mdenterprise.com/heat.htm

Lastly, his knives are reputed to be extremely ergonomic and comfortable to hold.

On those factors contributing to "collectibility," I am not qualified to comment, as I do not collect them.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast

plenty of info here
http://www.tacticalforums.com/
scroll to the Mad Dog forum
Old 03-29-2004, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast

Reminds me of Swatch watches, Beanie Babies, etc.:

The "collector" value far exceeds the "intrinsic" value.

(just my uneducated opinion)

Old 04-10-2004, 02:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Megalobyte
I once thought MD knives were hype driven, and discovered, well, yes and no, there's hype for sure, but the fact is, he makes a superior knife of exceptionally high quality, i only have one, but have examined a bunch, and i must say, the designs are simple, very ergonmic, and the F&F is extremely high. Sure, the materials used arent fancy or expensive, but since when do you pay only for materials, and the materials, while not rare or fancy, are very high quality materials. (G11 handles (G10+1?), hard chromed Starrett O1 tool steel blades, differentially heat treated.) Not fancy, but when you examine a MD, its evident some time and effort went into making the knife, the grinds are excellent, edges are very well done, as is the fit of the blade to the handle. Thus, while hype exists, and prices are high, there's at least something to justify it.

I still feel they're a little too high, but they are almost worth it.

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."---Groucho Marx

"..and the man in the suit has just bought a new car, from the profit he's made on your dreams."-S.W.

You can check out my ever-changing collection of custom knives at:

My Knives

Email me at:

mammothivory2000@yahoo.com

Last edited by Megalobyte; 04-10-2004 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:32 AM

Thanks to all for the good comments.

It makes more sense to me now. Don't think I'll trade up from Hill's work in the near future, but at least I have a clue 'why'.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by SharpByCoop
Don't think I'll trade up from Hill's work...
Um, Coop, with all due respect to Mad Dog knives, I don't know if I would call that a trade "up"

Old 04-12-2004, 07:42 PM

Uhhh, you caught that...!

Coop

Old 04-13-2004, 08:09 AM

Ok,

I thought this "thread" would have died already.

Coop, just say no.

For those of you who are old enough to remember chrome bumpers you will understand this.

You take a piece of 0-1 steel you coat it with chrome. Which is great. Unfortunately, you now have to put on edge on the knife, which of course removes the "Chrome".

Put your knife in water, particularly salt warter and guess what starts to happen to the 0-1...you guessed it...rust.

When I asked "mad dog" about this his advice was to "carry two knives". Now there is a guy with a lot of time in the field. LOL

Next, you'll have to ask him about his "unconditional guarantee" which is neither.

Kevin has done an excellent job marketing his knives. He has a hard core base of collectors who have driven the prices of his knive consistently up. However, the hype far outweighs the reality, based on the cost of his knives.

Boys and Girls I am here to tell you, for the money these knives bring. There are alot better knives and knife makers out there.

I write this now, because it has been a few years since the MD Group told me they were going to put me out of business. I miss their sense of humor.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 04-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Steel Addict

Not to be derogatory to any maker of blades but MD also has some funny ideas about how a knife should perform. He believes that a knife should break rather than take a set. He wrote a comment on this that if you were to ask ancient samurai warriors they would rather their blades broke than bend and take a set. I find this hard to believe. But thats just me. He also trashes any other knifemakers pretty hard.

I'm curious if anyone has ever performed any comparative testing with a MD and custom.

And Les be careful... Heaven forbid you go outta business...

~Matthew

Old 04-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Skilled

I have seen the samurai comment made before, and as most of these things it is taken out of context. The point was that during combat (horseback in particular) they would rather have a sword break and work with a shorter blade than have a bent sword that could get snagged on things.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 04-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Steel Addict

Samurai swords take sets, and normally they don't break. They are heat treated for this purpose.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Steel Addict

His comment was that the japanese used clay coated heat treats until the europeans stumbled across the spring tempered blades. Like the Japanese just couldn't figure something like that out....:confused: That is the part I find hard to believe. He has an article on it and I just don't see it that way. Maybe I'm wrong. I can honestly say that in a fight I wouldn't want my blade to break... I would rather it bend... in the time it takes you to pick up your broken blade you're already dead.

Just my 2 cents.

~Matthew

Tags
blade, knife, knives