MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 03-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

Todd Begg seriously ill

I realized the other day that many of you do not puruse other forums and so probably don't know the saga we have been through. Hope it is ok to copy and paste posts from USN to here to fill everyone in on Todd's illness.

Prayers for Todd Begg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you know that Todd has been sick.......he is really stubborn about seeking medical attention, but this morning he was in such bad shape he agreed to go in. Preliminary tests have been inconclusive, the symptoms suggest meningitis and the doc's are very very concerned.....but the next six hours will determine whether or not he will be admitted to the hospital for a spinal tap and other tests. There has been a bug going around that mimics the symptoms of meningitis so i am praying that is what he has. He has not eaten since saturday and there is blood in his urine, he is so weak he can barely walk..........

to say i am freaked out is an understatement.......Todd is my soul mate, the love of my life and we have big dreams .......please pray with me for his full recovery.

Tanya

Old 03-20-2004, 10:58 PM
Enthusiast

Here's the update. Todd is doing better. Just spent the last 5hours in the ER, they pumped him full of fluids(four bags) antibiotics, and pain killers, he is still in a lot of pain but compared to how he has been its bearable. ER staff had odds on that he would be a for sure admit but PRAYER works!!!!! Doc felt with the additional antibiotics on board and stuff he was sending us home with, Todd would be turning the corner towards recovery. I am supposed to monitor him through the night, keep pushing the fluids and give him his meds, but the doc thinks by morning we will see definite improvement. Lets pray he is right!

I want to thank all of you for your support, phone calls and emails.......I am just amazed at the out pouring of support. I am a firm believer in the power of prayer and want to thank all of you out there and I will be asking God for a special blessing upon each and everyone of you.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Todd's fever is finally down to a mere 100.5 now, but he is unable to walk or bear any weight on his legs. He had to pee in a bottle this am, his joints are swollen all over but especially in his legs...this is just so weird.....systemic viral infection of unkown origin just doesn't satisfy me as a good diagnosis. I am going to give him a day to let all the various antibiotics and antiinflamation meds kick in, if there is no improvement by tomorrow he is going back to the hospital. On a humorous note the vicadin is kicking in...he told me he was concerned that my youngest boy who is our resident trickster would bring the gatorade bottle Todd had been urinating in with a straw in it and try to get Todd to drink, so Todd warned me to not let Aaron near him with anything to drink!!!

I think i will sneak one of those little vicadin pills and try to sleep myself.......just kidding!!!

Once again, you guys are just terrific.......Todd was blown away when i told him about all the support and prayers....thanks everyone

Old 03-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

As I sit here typing Todd is up and sitting on the couch. His joint swelling is going down, slowly, but improving. He has been able to eat a little, but he has developed some huge canker sores in his mouth and open sores all over his body......if its not one thing its another! He still cant walk(borrowed a wheel chair from our church) and can not use his right arm at all. But overall he is improving, thank God!!

Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast

Todd seemed to be improving over the weekend, then late last nite he started going down hill again....temp up, right ankle and foot swelling......the sores on his body have become open gaping holes.....I am going to make some calls this am, find SOMEONE who will look at him......any advice????

Old 03-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

Ok so we are back from another set of docs and more blood work, cultures of all the sores and various poking,prodding and general shaking of our collective heads. Still no answers, but maybe when the cultures come back SOMETHING will be growing with a NAME to it!!! My new team of docs have stopped all the antibiotics and various other meds...switching to steroids(for the joints) corticosteroids for the sores....some suspicion that there maybe Gout or a vascular infection of some sort.......ultimatetly......dont know......yet....

Can't say that i have heard of toxicants breaking thru the skin in open sores, but appreciate the uhm..sentiment and motivation behind the words.......I know everyone is trying to help, give me some direction or something to ask questions about and i thankyou all for trying to help. I guess by giving details of Todd's symptoms i kinda opened the door to "online bedside diagnosing" no harm in that, really, as its all speculation.......hope no one is offended if I put my trust in live actual doctors here in my town?? and I actually feel a bit more confident in this new set of docs .....they at least were honest and not quick to jump to some flimsy diagnosis and throw antibiotics at us!!

I just thought he had the freakin FLU !!!!! feel like I am in some weird nightmare......

Old 03-20-2004, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

Well we have a diagnosis. Bechet's Disease. All his symptoms and bloodwork, liver enzymes etc. point to this, the docs feel confident this is it. We are in shock. Trying to wrap our minds around this, it is a chronic, life long, incurable disease that we will have to learn to live with.......

I can't write anymore right now...........

Old 03-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Steel Addict

I'm very sorry to hear the news Tanya. I had a very nice talk with Todd in Las vegas and found out I live in his old neighborhood here in Tucson. I hope you can use the Web to gather useful info on the illness if the diagnosis is definite,and keep looking for a Doctor "in the know". Docs are like everyone else, some know what they are talking about , some don't. It can really throw a wrench in the works when you feel so bad and seem to get nowhere. Give Todd my best and I will certainly send some vibes your way. Kevin Fox
Old 03-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Master

Hi Tanya, I read about this terrible situation elsewhere and hope with all my heart that the symptoms of Behcet's Disease will let up soon and that Todd and yourself will be able to resume a somewhat normal life again. This will be a lifelong battle, but there are ways to help keep it under control and sometimes once a round of symptoms subsides it can be many years before another one strikes.

I hope for the best for Todd and yourself. Be strong.

Old 03-21-2004, 08:42 PM

Thanks Tanya, for posting this in here as well. Just yesterday, I happened upon the USN site and peeked inside your thread. About an hour later I emerged... Feeling very fortunate for my own health.

All I can offer is a thought and a prayer. I look forward to hearing more news. Hopefully *much* better.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. Todd spent a couple hours in the shop today and then slept the rest of the day....he is still very weak but slowly, ever so slowly improving.

tanya

Old 03-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Steel Addict

Good to hear that he is doing better.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Master

Absolutely fantastic to see that Todd is doing better. Now lets hope that this disease that he has goes into hibernation for a long, long time.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:57 PM
Living Legend

Send a message via ICQ to BrB Send a message via MSN to BrB
I haven't have the chance to meet him on the forums yet, but as I feel close to everyone in the business I shall pray for him as well. There is no need to know someone in order to help... I hope he gets better soon. You've got my prayers.

-------------------------------------------
Pesquise posts antigos antes de perguntar:
Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Steel Addict

Shalom Tanya and Todd

Shalom Tanya and Todd,

I just read the shocking news and although we never yet had
a chance to meet, my heart went out to you.
Todd's bold designs say much for his character and I do
hope that the inner strength you both have will win this fight.

They say that Jerusalem is closer to God than anywhere else.
I'll chance it that there is something in this saying and pray for you both.

Todd's page with 4 of his knives in my forthcoming book will shurely light a spark in
your eyes (March 2005)...

God bless,
David Darom (ddd)

Tags
blade, knife, knives