MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 03-19-2004, 10:09 AM

Hill Pearce - 19?" T-section Afghan Khyber!

Hey folks,

There is a single most-important focus I have in my extensive collection. That is an attempt to collect the knives of the long-since-retired-from-knifemaking Hill Pearce.

Let's get to the good stuff first...

Had enough? No, not me either. Here's more....

Look closely now at these details: The strengthening T-section ground from the bar of blade stock keeps this long blade light and fast and stiff. It is much lighter than would appear because the blade is fairly thin. BUT.... I was also told the rib was utilized to pry open chain mail while the blade penetrated! The tip of the blade is just a little thicker. I know this is intentional on Hill's part as well. Everything is.

Hill's knives have his characteristic filework and attention to the details that rival any knifemaker in the world.

Look at the small dot on the butt of the handle. That is the blood core of the genuine tusk ivory. It runs out the RH scale. Not a scar or crack in it.

Each knife I have come across, in pictures or in person, has stopped me cold. I have a network of friends who know of my interests and look out for me.

Dan Piergallini is maker/collector/show promoter from Florida who I have traded with in the past for Hill's work. (Thanks again Joss, for the intro!) He was approached by the past owner of this magnificent period piece, and given an offer. He accepted and his *next* email with a crummy scan was to me. (After reading it, I don't think I let 30 seconds go by before calling him WAY too late in the evening!) I have a 'Knives Annual - 1987' with this very knife in it.

Anyway, we did a little horse trading and here it resides. (I have never spent as much on any knife as this one. Worth every penny.) Just a couple of weeks earlier, I chatted with noted custom dealer Jerry Schroeder about this SAME knife. He sold it to the previous fellow and regaled its beauty. Little did we know what lied ahead...

I did a little Googling and came up with this link about an
Afgan Khyber.

Lastly, I took a shot of my entire fixed-blade Pearce collection. What a parade! Check it out:

If you are interested in a wallpaper version for your desktop rotation, here you go: 1024 version

I hope you enjoy these as well. Everyone's invited over for a peek. Bring the beer...

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Skilled

Whoa BABY!! What an outstanding piece of cutlery!! I have really enjoyed each new addition to your Pearce collection, but this one completely blows me away. That's a pretty rare combination of mammoth size and elegant beauty. My new wallpaper has definitely arrived!

Thanks for taking the time to show - in words and images - all the terrific details that come together so well in this very special piece. And congratulations!!

Roger
Old 03-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
wow that is wonderfull..I must admit that after seeing the pics you have posted during the last year or how long it has been has brought a great facination of Pearce knives to me also..(don?t worry...I am not gonna compeet you of new pieces)...but the details and designs are really realy nice and one-of a kind both in looks and style.....he was a very talented knifemaker for sure....thanks for the oportunity to another look!

Old 03-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Master

I am speechless. Thank you for sharing these works of art.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Living Legend

Send a message via ICQ to BrB Send a message via MSN to BrB
Coop,

I know how you praise Hill's knives... you will be forming an excelent collection, if it isn't one already. Congratulations on your last purchase, it is by far the one I like the most amongst the others you have.

If you happen to talk to Hill about this knife... let him know he earned a lot of respect from a Brazilian guy with it.

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------
Pesquise posts antigos antes de perguntar:
Use CKD Search
? mais r?pido e f?cil!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:38 PM

Thank you guys! Jens and Jeff show how these have international appeal. Thanks Jens. Canada likes them too.

Jeff, you WOULD like Hill's knives, I'm certain. Your fellow countrymen knifemakers have a style that comes closest to many of his pieces. Guardless integrals, long pointy blades, Spanish notches, they all have that.... 'look'.

He's on my 'to call' list tonight. I'll report back in if I connect.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-19-2004, 12:45 PM

Gawdamitey, Coop! When's the coffee-table book coming out?

It's hard to imagine how you must feel upon considering what you eyes are seeing as you look at these beautiful, evocative and supremely artistic pieces!

I'm happy for YOU, man! And how fortunate WE are to be able to share through your terrific images, the very cool wallpaper AND an interesting and informational link to boot!

Thanks!
BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 03-19-2004, 09:05 PM

I talked to Hill tonight

More news... First off, Hill was VERY pleased to hear of my successful photography work and exposure. He didn't even want to talk about this knife until he got a full account of what I was doing.

Yup, the is the only one he made. Hill had found another in a flea market and bought a Khyber handle with a 3" broken blade. Not much value in that. (Apparently if a dignitary or soldier died or was 'deposed' (his words), they would break the blade off of their knife. Wow.) The original had a 'damascene' tang and components. (What's that? That gold engraved stuff?) He says the handle on this one is a near exact copy of the handle of the broken one.

The damascus was forged in Sid Birt's shop under his guidance and Hill took care of the rest. Unlike what I first thought, he forged the rib on the top with the blade in a vise. And then filed it to shape.

By the way, I never mentioned how frikkin SHARP this blade is, too. It would slice a tomato easily. Ouch!

So we chatted for a bit and I promised to send him photos. He's still uninterested in doing anything more than living comfortably on his 18 acres, doing some shooting and writing. But--he says this is NOT retirement. The mind must stay alive! Hill is still sharp and knows what he wants and needs.

As you can imagine, it was a pleasure talking with him again.

Coop

Old 03-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Skilled

Great post Coop... I always learn a little more about his knives when you do these types of in depth discussions.. Thanks Rich
Old 03-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Guru

A great thread Coop, the photos and the knives are magnificent and are an inspiration to us. Gib

Old 03-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Hall of Famer

OUTSTANDING, doesn't come close.

Coop, I sure appreciate ya. for posting pics of Mr Pearce's knifes.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Skilled

Wow, very nice collection. Beautiful and inspiring.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Skilled

WOW !! I don't know how I missed this...
Beutifull collection Coop, and wonderful photos.
Thank you for the in dept view of Hill Pearce's out standing knife making skills.

Darren

DarrenP.Reeves
Custom Hand Engraving
Billings, Montana

1-406-245-3444

Knife in Avatar
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Master

coop, the beauty of those knives are be on words- what a master craftsman. you're very lucky to have such a collection- thanks for showing [ i couldn't hit "print this picture" fast enough}
paul

http://www.phforge.com

Old 03-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Steel Addict

Absolutelly outstanding Coop! This is one of the best on the lot. How much was it, if you don't mind my asking?

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives