MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 01-31-2004, 07:46 PM

You got a witness!! Halleluja!

Hey Buddy,

You have a great eye for what appeals to me as well. I am in love with that 'river' bowie pattern. What a pattern! Congrats on such a fine piece for your collection.

I have spoken openly about the use of laptops as being a better idea than a simple portfolio (also on a maillist that Jason also belongs to). For the very reasons you mentioned: It's eye-grabbing and not individually captured. Just makes more sense in this day and age. At the Chesapeake show I did last December I had my IBM laptop running on my table with a slideshow of about 30 images of my work. I swear it stops them cold. Good for you JASON!

Sounds like Jay and Nancy Hendrickson need some further prompting from me to help them along next year. I offered and spoke to them in November but they had already committed to P7. Hmmmm....?

Thanks for your great insights. It really is an exciting aspect to get the skinny on these shows!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-31-2004, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Reno......What a show!

As Buddy mentioned, the show was likely the best.........at least unitl next year's Reno Show....of any I have attendined. Here's a pic of the folder he mentioned....

This was first run picture in that it was taken prior to the screws being polished and heat colored. It's a larger folder with all mosaic construction, liners of 15n20, titanium thumb studs, and same type mosaic backspacer. I opted not to do a lot of filework on my folder liners simply because everyone else was, and I wanted to do something a bit different, so I texture the liners and the color them.
I have a twin to this one going on the bench right now, but it will turn out far different. The next one will be highly polished damascus with hot bluing, and a couple of other touches to make is stand out.....and it will likely look just like all the other high end folders!

One thing that nobody has heard unless you were in the room prior to the doors opening........the show chairman made an announcement that he noticed many makers only brought one or two knives with them....and highly suggested that next year each maker have at least 5-6 knives on the table, which I strongly agree with. I felt kinda bad when Saturday rolled around and I had only one knife left for the customers to view. Many expressed thier disappointment, at the modest number of knives left, but if anyone out there wants a first shot, let me know, and I will put you in for one of my VIP passes that will get you in the door at 11am on Friday of next year's show. Again, just a wonderful show, with wonderful customers..........Now that's what Knifemaking is all about!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-01-2004, 02:26 PM

Tim - Thanks! I'm glad you and others are enjoying this 'report.' It was such a great show that my enthusiasm is kind of spilling over. Re our wives - maybe the best thing would be if they never meet eachother! I'm afraid the synergy could be bankrupting! (Honey, if you read this, please forgive me, I was only kidding!)

Coop - I'm sure you could and would have done a superlative job for the ABS at the Reno show - just like you did for Phil Lobred at the Art Knife Invitational. In fact, Phil and I were at the same table for the ABS dinner banquet and auction on Friday night and he specifically mentioned you and the fantastic job you did. As I've said before, I still think your taking on that project was one of the great stories of 2003, here in the custom/handmade knife world! Re laptops, like you - I would use one in a heartbeat. But I also know they're not for everybody. Thank goodness all the knifemakers, bladesmiths and blade artisans are different!

Ed - Thanks for jumping in with the photo and your comments. It's fascinating to get a bit of the "behind the scenes" view as you described it. It's also neat to hear about your design ideas, the direction you're moving in, etc. I do love that knife - to pick it up and really get a feel for it as I did in Reno was a treat. And that photograph, it's a jaw-dropper, fantastic! Thanks again!

Said I'd post a picture of the knife Jason Howell, JS donated to the ABS auction and here it is: BTW, he described it thusly: "Deer head mosaic damascus with 'W' and radial patterns, Mammoth Ivory scales, nickel trim and file work." Very cool!

There is a nice spirit of generosity within the ABS and when a bladesmith such as Jason donates a knife for auction I think it's understood that the knife in question is a good solid piece. However, nobody can afford to, nor are they expected to, donate (give away) their best, top dollar stuff for auction. Remember, Jason is one of those up and coming makers that is "scary" (see above) to those currently enjoying the view from the "top." Check out his web-site to see what he can really do: www.howellknives.com
More later - like after the Super Bowl! Everything seems to stop for the Super Bowl. I feel kind of like Delmar in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" when he says near the beginning, "Well, I'm with you fellas"! I guess I'm pullin' for those Carolina Patriots :confused:

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 02-01-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

Buddy, thank you for the report and the pictures. That Mike Williams bowie is a beauty. I am enjoying the heck out the 'Antique Bowie Knife' book. I know it is going to get me in trouble.

Jack C
Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Master

That Mike Williams Bowie is outstanding. I love the way the pattern mimmicks a hamon. Very interesting.

Old 02-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Steel Addict

I saw that M. Williams "3 Rivers" bowie, and it's a superb piece.

JD

Old 02-02-2004, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rglassma
Better Late Then Never

Boy, Have I been snoozing !!!

Sorry for the late reply all. That was one great, great show !!! This has to have been one of the best ever.

I have a few that I worked on that came back from the show with me..

The first one is by a great guy by the name of Ray Rybar... Ray and Heidi (his wife) are first rate folks..... They just recently moved to Arizona and had some fabulous work. Man oh man does this guy know his Bible...

I was fortunate enough to bid for this knife at the auction and won it. Ray commissioned this photo..

I was also lucky enough to bring back a few more:

Here is one from the Master: Mr. Dunkerley:

And one from my good friend Mr. Matt Diskin:

And last but not least. This is a great little all purpose forged small damascus bowie by Jason Howell J.S.:

It was absolutely great seeing friends again at the show. Jay Hendrickson has some of the most incredible bowies available that I had ever seen. Harvey Dean, well, you know how great his stuff is. Steve Dunn also had a fantastic California Dagger on display that was just incredible. Ed Caffrey's folders were absolutely terrific. I can tell you, I handled both folders that he had and they were first rate. Ed, it was great finally meeting you and I look forward to a great long term friendship...

Also, fantastic folders were available from Kirk Rexroat, Josh Smith, Wade Coulter, Ron Newton (my good friend), Shane Taylor (true buddy), Rick Eaton ( a flipper to die for !!!) and many, many more... Too bad I didn't have enough money to buy them all (no, knife dealers don't have an endless supply either. Especially after Vegas)..

If you didn't make it this year, you absolutely must put it on your must attend list for next year. This is just the tip of the iceberg. There were so many awesome knives to be had, it was a veritable knifenut's smorgasborg...

Speaking of smorgasborg, the banquet was absolutely first rate and the company... Well, there isn't any better !!! I was sorry to see it end.. But, you know what they say about all good things...

Both raffle knives were absolutely spactacular.. The Larry Feugen dagger was absolutely to die for and was won by a guy that I am sure will appreciate it: Gary Shaw. Gary has been ill and our thoughts and prayers should be with him. The Winkler piece?? Well, Mr. Gaston took that home (that lucky man). Both were fantastic pieces...

This is my first year joining the ABS as an associate member and I am very glad that I did. Everyone should lend their support to this great organization. The mood and flow in the room was so positive all weekend that is was a terrific place to be. With both the Safari Club Show and Gun Engraver's show in town on the same weekend, my choice was definately rubbing elbows with some incredible knifemakers.

Last edited by rglassma; 02-02-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Steel Addict

Wow. Thanks for the great reports! I knew I was going to regret not going! You guys just confirmed it.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 AM

Bob - Thanks for jumping in with photos of all those beautiful knives. Man, you're fishin' with a big net!

Wulf - Dude, you blew it! Of course Vermont is a long way from Reno. I know you folks are busy tryin' to stay warm up there, but seriously, don't you need some more knives?

Tonight's project was to follow-through on my promise to post a photo of the non-knife items Audra Draper, MS had for sale at her table. Of course her blades were terrific. Sadly, I don't have one to show; however, as I said above, it makes yet another trip to a knife show more palatable to the family members left behind when Mr. or Ms. Knife-Collector returns with little surprises for everybody - like these....................

Old 02-03-2004, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the kind words Buddy. I believe in what the ABS does in the way of educating the public about knives and their commintment to the forged blade. I donate when I can and I'm glad to do so. I'm so glad you got the auction knife!

This was my second year at Reno, and definitely the show to be at. Great job by the ABS, specifically the Hendrickson's. I know most MS's sold out early, most of the rest of us sold out through the weekend. Very few knives left Reno with the Makers. I enjoyed this show thoroughly visiting with friends, both makers and collectors. Next year will be even better, I just know it.

http://www.howellbladesmith.com
Old 02-03-2004, 10:14 PM

Amazing! Nary a negative comment has surfaced about this show. Everyone from attendees to table-holders seems to feel the show rated somewhere between 'excellent' to 'best knife show yet.'
Naturally, those in the ABS who put the show together deserve to be congratulated! Kudos! Well done!
But think about it from a slightly different angle. Before the "2nd Annual ..." there was the "1st Annual..." and before that there was nothing but a vision. A vision is like a dream powered by the desire to make something special happen, something here-to-fore thought to be impossible. That impossible thing was an all-forged blade exposition!
I am reminded of BR Hughes' often told story of four good ol' boys hanging' out together over 25 years ago and dreaming grandiose dreams about forming a 'society' dedicated to the 'forged-blade.' Then Bill Moran looks at BR and says, "If we play our cards right, one of these days, we could have 25 members." No way were those guys imagining then what we just wittnessed in Reno, Nevada!
To make a long story longer - here's what I think is really amazing. It's one thing for the 'big dog' and 'famous Amos' brethren of the ABS to decree that there will be an all-forged blade exposition. People expect direction and leadership from them! But - now, crank down on this one thought with me for a minute - folks, there's a waiting list for tables at this show! The ones that had 'em this year had 'em last year, and they'll have 'em again next year too, if they're smart. And they are smart - that's my whole point!
I'm not speaking for the ABS or anybody else here, just me. But I've seen this kind of thing before - it's called 'ground level thinking' - see the possibilities, make the decision to go for it and don't look back! The mastersmiths had an advantage because they had relatively more mileage and experience. But the younger ones, like 'the Jasons' (Howell, Knight and Tiensvold) and others - it's gotta be a leap for them, a big expense and a risk. But they were there. They could've said, "Well, I'll wait and see if this thing really takes off," or "I'll wait until I'm selling more knives, then I can afford it." But they didn't do that - they believed in the dream!

Last edited by Buddy Thomason; 02-06-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast

Buddy; thanks for the kind words; I appreciate it. Your pictures make even my old knife look good. Thanks to all of you for the kind words, talk like that really puts the pressure on a guy when starts a knife. Thanks fellas,thats all I needed was more stress.
My table and Ed's table were adjoining. I think i scared Mrs. Caffrey though; I don't think she had ever been that close to an Okie before.
Seriously though, Buddy; I am glad you like the knife and I truley enjoyed visiting with you and your lovely wife. I look forward to our next meeting.
The pictures show some beautiful work. They show just a part of some great work that was displayed by some very talented bladesmiths.
The ABS is growing by leaps and bounds. And yes; we have a growing pain here and there. But the direction of the ABS as an organization is the responsibilty of the officers and board of directors. A group of men with purpose and integrety. They deserve all the credit and get very little of it, I think. To organize a show that allows the smiths to showcase their work was a grand vision, a well thought out plan, and a hell of a lot of work. It worked well.
At the Reno show the energy in the room was incredible. We may cut up and goof off at times and we all enjoy it. But at that show the comraderie, fellowship , and RESPECT that we have for each other and our craft was evident to even first time show visitors. I am proud to be a part of it.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Skilled

My thanks to all who contributed to this thread and particularly to Buddy for the great series of posts and pics. This is what a show report is all about IMHO - you know you've got it right when people that weren't there (like me) feel like they still have a real good impression of what it was like. Makers joining in really helps in that regard - thanks guys.

I wasn't able to attend, but I was able to snag some pics of the knives that did. Here's a neat folding dog bone bowie by Ron Newton (Newton pic):

Yeah, I said folding - don't think I've ever seen the like:

And a knife Don Fogg calls his "Yakuza Bowie" (Fogg pic):

You gotta love that hamon!

Cheers,

Roger
Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Steel Addict

You don't GOTTA love that hamon, but I suspect most people do!

I know I do.

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives