MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Hall of Famer

looking good, fellows.
thanx for the show!

Old 08-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by ixpfah
Hmm... 62? Never heard of that firm... 0]
Sorry, couldn't resist it!
Yeah Ixy.., you'd think if somone was gonna do "29 Knives" Knocks-off's they'd at least pick a number like 28 or something huh....8o ..., "62" is sort of weird....

By the way.., I never heard how that all came out with the Kris knives you got from Chris Olofson??? Did they ever make good on the insurance or anything??? If they did I'm moving to Norway....lol...., they never pay the face amount of insurance here...

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 08-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ExamonLyf
Yeah Ixy.., you'd think if somone was gonna do "29 Knives" Knocks-off's they'd at least pick a number like 28 or something huh....8o ..., "62" is sort of weird....
Yeah, besides, with a knock-off company called 62, you can just turn the knife up side-down, and it looks like it's a original 29! Not a very clear thinking knock-off company, huh!
Quote:
By the way.., I never heard how that all came out with the Kris knives you got from Chris Olofson??? Did they ever make good on the insurance or anything??? If they did I'm moving to Norway....lol...., they never pay the face amount of insurance here...
Don't you mean the Kris knives I didn't get from Chris?
I'm sending you a mail on the subject.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Skilled

Lightbulb

Thanks Tor..., got your email.., and wrote back.., unfortunately Darrel and I went through the same stuff with "Lost Items"....not fun!!!!!

Chris is really a good man (and consummately professional)..., we're lucky to have so many guys making great knives, that are also good people! He will do the best he can for you on that..., and it's really too bad we all get stuck in so many "3rd Party" situations where everyone stands to lose except the United States Postal Service. <~~ Not quite sure I understand that part, since they are the dip-####s that lose the stuff?????

Anyway thanks for writing...., and I do know your pain! Very frustrating....

Old 08-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Pete, I'm sure there are others that share this pain as well. You're #### straight, it's not fun at all.

If this insurance thingy turns out the way we've discussed, USPS will hereby be banned from my list of possible balisong transporters! :evil

Anyway, I got your mail, but I'm off to work now, so I'll probably reply to it tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:06 PM

Pete,
Very nice 62 knives!

I keep score on lost packages.

USPS 5 NEVER paid the insurance at all! Total value 7000.00 no return.
FEDX 1 destroyed and they would not pay the insured value. 1500.00 they paid 500.
UPS 1 lost and they paid the full insured value. 600.00 value they paid 600.00 plus the shipping cost.

The numbers dont lie.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrel Ralph
Pete,
Very nice 62 knives!

I keep score on lost packages.

USPS 5 NEVER paid the insurance at all! Total value 7000.00 no return.
FEDX 1 destroyed and they would not pay the insured value. 1500.00 they paid 500.
UPS 1 lost and they paid the full insured value. 600.00 value they paid 600.00 plus the shipping cost.

The numbers dont lie.
How did USPS and UPS justify not paying the insurance?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Murnax
hmm...i don't like all these stories about not receiving insurance money. Would those of you who lost insured knives and never received the money please explain what happened. I thought I was safe shipping stuff as long as I got it insured.:confused:
Old 08-09-2003, 03:56 PM

FEDX has a waiver that you sign that they dont tell you about until somthing is lost. If you insure certain items for more than 500.00 YOU WILL NOT BE PAID no matter how much insurance you have been or did put on the packages. I tried to get them for back insurance for 2 years of shipping that they overcharged me for. NO LUCK!

USPS hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Just try it.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, that's just disturbing to hear, Darrel. It tares me up inside to hear about these things.

If you don't get squad back from FedEx if you've insured for over $500, why insurance more than that?

USPS didn't pay you ANYTHING AT ALL??

Seems like UPS is the way to go? Or was that because the value was that "low"?

We should make a separate thread regarding this...

Old 08-09-2003, 05:37 PM

IX,
I have mentioned this to all the folks I deliver to and customers.
FEDX lets you insure for what ever you want then puts it in your mud hole . hey make extra money off from fools.

USPS is the biggest un organized joke I have ever seen.
They wont even deliver o my shop for christ sake.
They loose thing and make the paper work to get them back or get your money back so involved I just throw up my hands and say LIVE AND LEARN!

Pete lost balis in the USAP and GOT a good story!

About UPS. I talked with them on the phone and asked them about there insurance. They give you wnat you insure for. Im sure there are otehr stories.

I have sent items to other countries with usps.
There is NO way to track the item or get a confrimation that it was delivered. The package may show up weeks later.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrel Ralph
I have sent items to other countries with usps.
There is NO way to track the item or get a confrimation that it was delivered. The package may show up weeks later.
Really? The package from 29 Knives that got lost was obviously traced... I never checked from the web pages, but it was in the norwegian Postal Service's records when I called asking for it...

Anyway, speaking of UPS... I've heard they just drop the packages from a plane (without landing) and into a big net that catches them up... Does anyone know if that's true? The guy I heard this from isn't exactly what you'd call a "sure source".

Old 08-09-2003, 06:09 PM

I dont think thats true !
Droping them from a plane hehehhehe
I just like them to be tracable.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Skilled

Exclamation

Yeah..., grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...., listen to what Darrel says closely! USPS is truly "Pond Scum" about the full payment of insured packages.

First of all they make you wait 30 days to even file any paperwork (a "Form 1000")..., then...., you.., the victim of their moronity.., has to bother the intended recipient by sending them the Form 1000 (at your cost)...., and having them fill out a portion of the paperwork, and returning it (at their cost).

After all this takes place.., obviously we're about 6 weeks down the road minimum from when the item(s) was lost...., and you are out even more postage money in the process.

When you stroll back in your local Post Office.., don't bother going unless you have all the original paperwork (i.e., the Blue Insurance Form, Delivery Confirmation # if you purchased it, and a receipt for the value of the item)!!

I had all this stuff!!!! ..., and still haven't seen a penny! They attempt to "arbitrate" the amount of "actual worth" <~~ as they label it.., and the face value of what you payed for insurance means -ZIP-!

When you first get the Form 1000.., they don't tell you any of that stuff is needed..., they just hand it to you and tell you to bring it back..., then they say...."Sorry.., where is the receipt proving the value."

Factually.., they simply try to wear you out! From what I've learned now.., an actual litigatory action brought against them can be successful.., but what would our legal expenses be to accomplish this? The bureaucrats at USPS realize fully that not many are going to retain an attorney to recover $1000 in insurance when the legal fees may double that to win..., and take years! They bank on that fact that most will simply take the hit.., and move on.., because the alternatives are incredibly time consumming and expensive at best.

In my estimation..., selling the insurance is simply "Fraud"..., plain and simple.

Example: Try negotiating the price of insurance when you fill out your little blue slip.., and they say.., "Ok.., that will be $7.50 for $1000 insurance." Offer them $2.00 and see what they say????

Of course it's a tongue-in-cheek example.., but that is exactly what is going to happen when they lose your package. They will make some "Low-Ball" offer after about 3 months the package has been gone.., and it won't be nearly half what you insured the package for. <~~~~~ "Fraud"!!!

Note: In my particular case.., the knives they lost were part of 5 piece limited edition "Set" of Venturi Profiles Darrel offered some 2 years ago.., and all serial #2.., so some sleezeball-suckwad seeing the name "Darrel Ralph" on the box probably (guessing).., stole them. There was no denial by anyone at USPS that they lost them.., in fact.., they were logged into there system because I also payed for Delivery Confirmation. Their records simply showed them leaving So California in late January..., and vanishing! Slam Dunk evidence.., and no payment except offering me 20% of what I payed for insurance!

Darrel replaced the knives.., and at a fraction of what it cost him to make them (counting his labor)..., but had absolutely no obligation to do that what-so-ever. As I mentioned.., we are very lucky to have people of such high quality associated with our hobby.., but it's pathetic that a maker and customer have to pay the price for the extreme incompetence of the United States Postal Service.

Edited to add: As an after thought.., if anyone sees these knives on eBay or Bladeauction.., etc. Please let me know.

Serial #2.., one Trainer Blade.., and one Dagger.., both with Stainless Steel Mirrored Handles..., Morse Code pattern & Type-A patterns. As you all know I don't sell Balisongs.., so if they are "For Sale"..., I'd certainly like to know.

Not being a rich guy.., and a mild-mannerd humanitarian like Tony...., errrrrr..., wait.., bad example.... {Group-Hug}.., just teasing ya Tony! :cool:

I swore I'd never use one of the 5.5 inch "Dragon Song" Protos for "cutting"..., but an exception can be made when one of these knives shows up on an auction! I will select the "Buy Now" option and hand deliver payment! Just "One-for-the-Home-Team". :evil

And if at all possible use UPS when you can guys/gals.., especially for very valuable items! A Post Master friend of mine (just for the record).., said the shipping method most reliable with USPS.., is "Registered Mail"..., Insured.., with Delivery Confirmation and Signature Confirmation. You can also add on "Restricted Delivery" <~~ meaning only a certain person can sign for it. The Post Office will tell you there is no Delivery Confirmation on Certified Mail.., and it's not true. I read it on their site.., but the drones that work the counter don't know that..., so ask for a supervisor if necessary. Look -HERE- for all the information.

This method is not inexpensive.., but worth it if you have to use USPS for something with high value. I know we're way off-topic here.., sorry.., but one myth that has to be undone is this:

USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation gets logged in and scrutinized only (2) times ~~~> when you send it..., and when it arrives at it's destination. All bets of off anywhere in between and each time it switches trucks....etc.

"Registered Mail" is totally separated from every other type mail.., transported from one stop to another in a cage sort of thing.., and signed for each time it changes hands. If you must use USPS with high dollar items..., this is the way to go..., but you can expect the same red-tape with forms, bull####, etc. if something goes south in the process.

Tor ("Ixy").., unfortunately the "Registered Mail" thing doesn't help at all in Norway (to my knowledge).., but may be worth checking out in some form. Maybe "EMS" services have some add-on services for security you can get, but the big picture on this mail stuff is not pretty!

-End Rant-!

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 08-10-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:29 PM

Pete,
FEDX is the same way. Its a haggle. This just pissed me off when I found out I was paying for insurance that was bogus. How do they get away with this? I cancelled my account with them asap and went to ups after I asked all the questions that I learned from the experience. FRAUD is the correct word. BTW have you ever asked yourself why we have to insure anything at all. If they contract to deliver a package that should be the end of it.
Its fraud. Usps lost a 1000.00 piece of titanium. THIS WAS A BIG PIECE OF TITANIUM. How the hell do you loose a piece of titanium sheet? NUM SKULLS! Incompetent ass cherubs.
Did you ever think about what usps makes you go through to sent a package? I take 15 mins to fill out the screwed up paper work that dont do anything but get you screwed!
Its no wonder they are losing money and business all the time.
If they would stop picking there ass and change the system so that it was good and it worked and was easy to use more folks would use the mail. Until that day and the day they fire my mail person they can suck toe-jam as far as I am concerend. My Mail person yells at my doberman pincher. This dog would bite an ant.
BUT he dont like people who give him crap either. He knows when a person is harmfull to him. So he bite there tires and put holes in them hahahahahahahahahahahhahaha I love it.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, forge, knife, knives