MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 05-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Skilled

Marine Enviroment Knife Care..

Hi everyone. I did a search of our forum, and didn't find anything that really zeroed in on what kind of information I was after. I collect knives, and live real close to the ocean. Don Guild, who is a member here, and lives in a similar enviroment, shared his knife care and storage tips with me. Briefly, a cleaning with mild window cleaner (ammonia free..), but only if necessary. Next wipe the piece down with a Sentry Marine Tuff Cloth, let dry. Treat pivots etc. with tuff glide, and wipe off excess. Next a VERY light coat of wax, (I use Ren. wax) buff off and its ready for storage.. I place mine in large "tupperware type containers" like the kind you see at Home Depot. The knives are all in zippered cases...

I'm still having problems with rust, and on highly polished surfaces a dulling kind of film. I'm thinking that having them sealed tightly might be doing more harm than good...I did this routine on a twice a year basis, and wiping the knives down with a soft cotton cloth or chamois when handled, or every 3 months or so if not handled.

I don't know if I have to increases the frequency, try something else, or move my collection to another location, which for obvious reasons I sure don't want to do..Any Help or tips would sure be appreciated...Rich Slaughter
Old 05-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Skilled

"Ribbit"

Try the Frog. I've used the Rustblocker with good success so far. They also make a wax I will try soon.

http://www.bull-frog.com/fluids.html

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds". Albert Einstein
Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Guru

I live less than a block from the beach here and make most of my knives from O-1. When knives are completed they get a liberal coat of Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax and put in my display case.I put shelves in a gun cabinet so its not sealed. I pull the knives as needed and polish off the wax. I quit having rust problems unless I leave them on my workbench too long.Dave
Old 05-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Skilled

Thanks Fred and Dave- The Bullfrog products I was unfamilar with, so that is something I want to look into. It looks like they have several compounds..good tip Fred.. Quick follow up question for Dave.. By applying a liberal coat of the wax you mentioned, and leaving it on, do you think this is something I should avoid on carbon Damascus? You mentioned using 01 steel on your own knives, I'm just wondering if leaving the wax on in a thicker coat might stain some of the natural materials, (scales), and the carbon based damascus I have on some knives.. I don't have any billets or such to test it.. Just curious, what do you think?

One other general question I meant to ask in my original post.. I have read that by rewetting the Sentry cloths with mineral spirits, it "brings them back" good as new. Mine is about 10 months old, and I wonder if the active incrediants that provide the micro layer of rust inhibitor do in fact get used up over time? Thanks again for the response, Rich Slaughter
Old 05-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Master

Just a thought, but if you are putting your knives in tupperware type boxes (which I presume have a lid that seals), then why not put some form of silica gel or similiar inside which absorbs the moisture in the air....maybe that would help
Kevin.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Skilled

Thanks Kevin.... here's my experience with desicants. I thought of the same thing, and found a product called Damp Rid which is advertised to remove moisture from closets and storage areas..The active ingredient is Calcium Chloride.. I took a generous amount , wrapped it in cheese cloth, tied it off and placed one in each of my containers... After about 4 weeks or so, I was looking for a particular knife, and when I opened the container, the desicant was saturated, and I even had a small puddle in the bottom of the container.. Well, naturally, I freaked and did some research on desicants in general. They do work great until they reach the point that they can't absorb any more water from the air, and then they "turn" and actually give up the water. I thought perhaps if there was a product that would change colors or something when it was getting close to that point might work, but I don't know of any.. I'm wondering if anyone knows if silica gel has the same properties???

The gun range that I go to sells safes, and I read in some literature that they don't recommend desicants inside the safe for this very reason..They sell a dehumidifer rod that is electric... Thats great if you own a safe which I don't...But I'm considering it however... That's how concerned I am about keeping my knives in good shape.. Thanks for you input and I'm hoping maybe you know more about this silica gel than I do...Regards, Rich..
Old 05-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Guru

Rich, sorry for not getting back sooner.A little under the weather. To answer your question I do my carbon Damascus as well with no after effects.I have a show this weekend and just cleaned all my knives for it and noticed zero rust.It also hasn't done anything to the scales as this stuff is gunstock wax.Hope this helps,Dave.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Skilled

Thanks Dave, Is this wax something my gun shop would carry, if not, maybe you could email me a source? Ordered some of the Bullfrog products as well. Thanks Fred for that one..

I'm really not sure why I'm having a few problems. Thanks again to those that offered suggestions.. Regards, Rich
Old 05-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Guru

Rich, I would think your gun shop would have it.I get mine at the gun shows.That's where I'm setup at this weekend as a matter of fact.Dave
Old 05-10-2003, 11:10 PM

NAVY Knives

I did 27yr in the NAVY and we (meaning I) always used RIG from Sportsmans Products. they have 2 flavers that work I've always used Universal RIG R-103 one 3.75oz (used to be 4oz) container will last me for 2-3 years and costs between 5-6 bucks from gun dealers. when I kept my stuff coated I've never had a knife rust at sea and that was through 2 wars. Their newer product I haven't tried is called R-104 or 5 I can't remember but it's specifically for stainless steel. I always figured if it worked on O-1 and D-2 then it would protect stainless also.Grin It wipes on like gun grease but solightly dries with time has a good MANLY smell Petroleum sulfonate and doesn't set up like cosmoline.

Old 06-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Registered

rust prevention

I read of a product called Choji oil. it is a traditional oil used in japan to coat samurai swords prior to storage . it is supposed to be an excellent rust preventive. check out HistoricalWeapons.com.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Master

The best stuff that I have tried is Eezox. This stuff is amazing at preventing rust.

www.eezox.com

Tags
knife, knives