MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 04-23-2001, 12:46 PM
dogman

Yoshihito Aida

I have seen some of his awesome work in the books, but I haven't seen any in person. Does he do any shows in the U.S.? Has anyone else seen his work? It is very Loveless-esque, but looks super, super, clean.

Speaking of Japanese makers, besides Kouji Hara, does anyone know any Japanese makers that make a knife that stands out as their own style? I know many of them make Loveless-style knives and take a good pattern and make it super clean. Takahashi comes to mind.

So is that the Japanese maker "comfort zone"...to make superior renditions of existing patterns? I know Emerson and Elishewitz are very popular in Japan. Even so, I don't seem to see a lot of Japanese tactical style knives along those lines.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:22 AM
JerryO13

Dog, he was at ECCKS 2001, but I must admit I didn't catch his stuff.
Old 04-26-2001, 08:35 AM
Les Robertson

@#%$ Aida

Bob,

Alot of Japanese makers were heavily infulenced by Loveless. He was kind of a starting point for their custom knife makers who were making non-tradional patterns. Remember the Japanese were building custom knives hundreds of years ago.

I did look at Yo####o's work at the ECCKS, perfection is a good word. The same with DF Kressler (his prices have come down, you should look at getting some of his work). He is on my list for the next ECCKS, I don't know if he is coming to the Guild Show.

There are alot of Japanese makers who do other styles of work besides the Loveless type. However, most of them never make it to the US. Koji Hara is an example of this. I did notice at the ECCKS that he was starting to make fixed blades again.

The only disadvantage the Japanese makers have selling knives here in the US is the prices they have to charge. Most are non-competitive with the knives made here in the states. The cost to come here from Japan is substantial. Having flown back and forth to Korea in coach a few times, I can tell you it is not something you look forward to.

When you attend the major shows, especially the Guild Show. There will be several Japanese makers. Check out their work. Also, the guys from South Africa do excellent work as well.

Old 04-26-2001, 08:51 AM
dogman

Re: @#%$ Aida

I will defintely be at the Guild Show, since it is a 45 min. drive from the house

My impression is that they take the Loveless working pattern and turn it into presentation grade. In one of the Weyer books (POI 2 I think), there is a gut hook skinner by Aida that just jumps off the page at me. I have been striving to shape my handle material as he does on that knife.
Old 05-03-2001, 01:02 AM
srjknives

Re: @#%$ Aida

Check out these guys that were at the Solvang show last week-end. You'll be pleased:

Shun Fujikawa....beautiful folders with truly amazing inlays in the handles, even the pearl.

Stan Fujisaka....yeah, he's from Hawaii, but very nice folders.

Kouji Hara....you already know his work, beautiful!

Yoshindo Yoshihara.....as good at the traditional Japanese knife as there is, I believe. Amazing!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Registered

Yoshihito Aida

Pardon the way late reply-post on Aida, but this will have to do as my first entry on this board after giving the posts a once-over:

+--> It is very Loveless-esque

Not too tough to figure - Yoshi was a Bob Loveless apprentice / understudy years back.

+

+--> So is that the Japanese maker "comfort zone"...to make superior renditions of existing patterns?

Depends on your perspective.

In one sense, the Japanese in general have been notorious for that in art and business for a half century.

The other perspective - the one that applies to Yoshi - is the relationship between Master and Disciple, which Yoshi considers sacred. This is the old tradition of sempai-kohai here in Japan.

Bob's picture has a prominent place in Yoshi's shop. And one of Bob's old shop aprons - and a pair of his overalls - are reverently displayed in Yoshi's shop out of deference. This, rather than Yoshi representing himself as lone ranger genius (which he also is), which he could get away with very easily over here. But he opts instead to memorialize Bob's influence on his life for all to see.

Yoshi's shop is constantly crowded with not only custom-blade customers, but also literally dozens of other KNIFEMAKERS here. In this respect, he's as close as it gets to the Pope of modern custom knifemakers here.

In short, Yoshi is a master. But he's one who openly, humbly acknowledges his sempai. And he does so with justifiable pride.

Ironically, few Japanese here take the hint and buy Loveless patterns from him. Most of his work, and revenue, come from custom work and a handful of his own blades which have gone to major, repeated production runs over here.

Sorry for the long first stab at posting - but I felt this one warranted the War n Peace version.

Doc Weston
Tokyo, Japan

Last edited by Doc Weston; 07-16-2003 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Hall of Famer

good info, doc. and welcome to ckdf.
thanx

Old 07-16-2003, 11:32 PM
Registered

whv

Thanks Wayne.

For those who might be tempted to think Yoshi's reverence for Bob Loveless as his sempai is exaggerated, Yoshi has an entire virtual museum devoted to the old Master, e.g.:

http://www.riverside-land.com/museum/prof.htm
http://www.riverside-land.com/museum/igyou.htm
http://www.riverside-land.com/museum/tenji.htm
http://www.riverside-land.com/museum/goroku.htm

These include a Loveless bio, Loveless-ism's (some of Bob's pearls), and his blade work.

This kind of thing took balls of steel on Aida's part, as he stood a good chance of being sorely ostracized by 500-year old lines of Japanese blademakers here. Instead, he is regarded as a pioneer and fine craftsman.

I'll have more soon on this subject if there's any interest in the story and a related project in the coming months.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Weston; 07-16-2003 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Doc, It would be nice to see the link in English Does Yoshi own that old Delaware Maid I think they were called. Bob sure does have a way with words. "Red liners are like lipstick on a pretty girl" I am sure anything you are willing to share will be well appreciated. Thank you. Roc

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 08-11-2003 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Registered

Doc, It would be nice to see the link in English

True - it would have saved me years of Japanese language study.

I'll be putting my vote in with Yoshi to create an English version web site.

Does Yoshi own that old Maryland Maid I think they were called.

Good question. I hope to have answers to that, and alot more, in the very near future.

Bob sure does have a way with words.

Yoshi tells me Bob and I share a lot in common in that respect - creative one liners and peculiarly... blunt. If I have my way, the three of us will be sitting in the same room in the not too distant future.

If this materializes, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Doc
Old 07-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Founding Member *SysAdmin*

We would definitely be interested. I have chatted a few times with Bob on the phone, but we discussed guns mostly

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Kind-hearted people might think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat an enemy without too much blood. This is a fallacy." - Carl von Clausewitz
Old 07-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Skilled

Lightbulb

Kan Sai (sp?).., is another maker that comes to mind. Incredibly smooth small gents folders, with a very slickly engineered bearing system at the pivots.

I'm sure someone has more detail, but I've seen his work at a number of shows in recent years. Very nice stuff!

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"
Old 07-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Registered

Pete

... I've seen his work at a number of shows in recent years. Very nice stuff!

If you're talking about Aida's work:

Yoshi will be the first one to tell you he is an artist and custom craftsman before he's a utility man. His blades reflect that.

But I have an all-business design on the menu with him which will change that.

He tells me this will be the first design he's taken on of anyone else's conception (other than Bob's and his own).

That wasn't what I intended, as I originally took my 12 year old son to meet him as part of my "Daddy's World Masters Introduction Tour" over here (weapons makers, martial artists, fine arts figures, writers, etc - - - I want the clone to have direct contact with the great ones, up close and personal). But one thing led to another and, one year hence, it appears we'll start on my fighting knife design in mid August.

We'll see what happens.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Registered

Bob and Guns

We would definitely be interested. I have chatted a few times with Bob on the phone, but we discussed guns mostly

Any discussion with me on guns would be short, as 30 plus years in 30 plus countries has made me both picky and practical.

With the advantage of advance planning and a healthy budget, I go high end in a narrow range of mfrs and models. Glock, Sig, HK.

Ruger or Colt when a hushpuppied bull barrel .22 is on the menu.

If flying by the seat of somebody else's bunched-up panties, Il picked throwdowns with the best feel - even Bersa or Lama. Unless I was able to steal something cheaper.

Same for utility blades. For years I used a Gerber Parabellum because it was cheap, drew fast, and got visual attention real quick when snapped open.

"Old fart" probably fits me.

Last edited by Doc Weston; 07-17-2003 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Registered

One maker comes to my mind: Ryuichi Kawamura
He is one of those younger custom knifemakers in Japan. He makes mostly traditional slip-joints. Here again.... absolutly stunning fit and finish! Perfection.
I could handle some of his knives while I was living in Japan.

His homepage http://www008.upp.so-net.ne.jp/ryu-knives/

Tags
blade, knife, knives