MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-06-2003, 06:23 PM

What is the difference

I was in to one of our local stores and looking at 2 hp motors. This store had two of them virtually identical as far as I could tell. Both would accept 115 or 240 both ran at 3450 rpm (something like that) but one was $200 and the other was $300. Now there must be some reason people would pay the extra $100. Since I am in the market for a 2hp motor I figure I should know why the difference. Any hints.
Thanks
Steve

Old 04-06-2003, 06:58 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Could be any number of things, Steve. Could be that one is a totally enclosed, fan cooled model (TEFC) and the other is an open frame model. One may have bushings and the other ball bearings. One may have an odd-ball shaft size. A little more info would be helpful, but there are things that you can't see that will make a difference. If you're looking, though, get a TEFC motor. Keeps the gunk out of the guts of the motor.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 04-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Steve,
I've seen similiar examples of products - look exactly alike but big cost differences! I'd just be guessing, but are the motors from the same manufacturer? Possibly the more expensive one has better quality parts? Are shafts the same construction & diameter? How about amps? Where I work we had to pay extra for equipment that was 'explosion-proof'! Couldn't have 'sparks' in a flammable atmosphere.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Steel Addict

Steve
You may wnat to check surpluss center,they have what you are looking for a alot less money,I have a V/S motor I bought form there, I bought the motor and controler for around 250

Mark 13:35