MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Introduction/My First Knives

Hey Everybody,

I've been reading forums here for the last 6 months or so and finally decided I would create an account.

I wanted to post a couple pictures of my first 2 knives - it sure seems like a lot of guys start by making two for some reason. Everything I've done has been by hand with the exception of drilling, I've used a hacksaw, some files, and a little bit of blood and sweat.... more blood than sweat. They were heat treated in a BBQ forge me and my friend built, and seem to skate a file, although I don't expect it to be high quality steel. Both were made from a file only because I didn't have any known steel to use. I've already got some 1084 on order for the next few.

The kiridashi style knife was sort of just a test bed to use for trying out different ways of filing, sanding, and heat treating. That said, I've given it to a friend who works in a warehouse and he says it sees regular use daily and has been holding its edge with no breakage and the other one sits on my shelf. The second knife I made, I spent a bit more time refining. I actually went back after these pictures and ground off a bit more excess from the blade after I realized it couldn't slice an onion (it was sharp, but way too thick) and did a little better job of sanding. Exactly why I made these, learn the little quirks, and hopefully get better with every knife.

I know that these aren't pretty "finished" knives, and moving forward I do plan to put proper handles on the rest, but let me know what you guys think.

I really enjoy seeing other peoples first few tries too, so if you have any pictures and/or stories throw 'em up.

Last edited by ash_a101; 01-25-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: wanted to add an invitation for others to add to this thread
Old 01-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm sure we'd like to see your knives but whatever that mess is you used for a link to the picture doesn't seem to work and I couldn't fix it ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
1084, art, back, bee, beginner, blade, edge, files, forge, hand, handles, heat, heat treating, kiridashi, knife, knives, made, making, newbie, post, sanding, sharp, steel, vfd