MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 01-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Registered

Smile Newbie checking in with a few questions

Hi, I'm new to custom knives and the forum, just want to check in and maybe ask a few questions. I love edged weapons but I'm really a firearms and military equipment collector. I recently inherited some custom knives and would like to know a little more about them.

Some of the knives I have, I've been easily able to find info on, some seem elusive. Would this be the proper forum to ask questions about these ?

Thanks, YOOO VINNY
Old 01-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Paul3
Heres another good place. Might be better
Here

Old 01-26-2004, 01:01 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
You may also try Les Robertson's forum here on the CKD. Here's a link:

http://www.ckdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=4

And welcome to the CKD. We hope you'll hang around. We'll make a knife person out of you yet!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Registered

Thanks guys, I'll give both a try.

Don't get me wrong, I like knives, always have. I have a bunch and have been buying them for years, both factory and custom makers. But I'm already spread so thin collecting other stuff, working, the kids, etc, it just isent going to be a full time passion.

Add in, that I inherited a bunch of custom knives, Randall, Bauchop, Reeve and a bunch of others that I dont have a clue about. Plus a bunch of other factory knives, some Al Mar pre-production stuff and other assorted pieces.

I'm really just trying to get a feel for what this stuff is worth to sell, without getting ripped off. Please feel free to comment or point me in the right direction.
Sorry for such a long post
Thanks, YOOO VINNY
Old 01-26-2004, 02:02 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Les Robertson deals in custom knives, and has a site at http://www.customknifeconsignment.com where you can post your knives for sale. I don't really know how it works, but I'd get in touch with Les. He's a very reputable fellow in the custom knife sales area, and I'd trust him to get me a good price for my collectables. Sure, he'll take his cut of the profits, but it may be worth it not to get ripped off.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 01-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Thanks Jamey, I'll drop him a line and see what he has to say. I'll mention you refered me.

BTW, great avatar the Duke was the best !!

No offence, but after checking his site, I think I'm just going to keep looking around. He dosent really seem to have many knives there (25), no Randall's and 30% commission seems kind of rich to me.

Last edited by YOOO Vinny; 01-26-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Living Legend

Before you discount Les, you may want to think about this. Les goes through a lot of knives and he goes to shows all over the country. He may have 200 knives today and 50 tomorrow. He is honest and will not cheat you.

You may get $250 for a knife elsewhere, but Les may get you $400 and minus his 30 percent, you still come out ahead. You may want to take five minutes and talk to the guy. you don't want ripped off and Les will not do that to you.

Ripped off is where they sell the knife for $500 and tell you $250 and then take a cut. Get ready for that if you pass Les by. Look at the member count, 3000 custom makers and we gave him his own forum, do you think we would let him keep it if he ripped ANYONE off?

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Bob I'm truly sorry if I offended you, him or anyone else or gave anyone the wrong idea. I did'nt insinuate that he or anybody else was ripping anybody off, just that it did'nt seem to be what I was looking for and that 30% seemed like a lot. I have no reason to doubt that he's a good and honorable man and someone that knows knives. I'll drop him a line and see what he says, hopefully I did'nt dig myself a hole with this post.
In my defense, let me add my reasoning;
Maybe I have no idea of dealing with knives but I just had a bunch of antiques and firearms auctioned by some of the biggest names in there respective fields and both charged 20%, so 30% seemed like a lot. While his site states that he goes to shows, it also says that consignment knives no not, because of chance of loss, that cuts down on exposure and chances of a sale. I also did'nt see any of the knives I have listed among the few on his site, that left me feeling he primarily deals with other than what I have.
Hope you dont hold it against me.
YOOO VINNY

Last edited by YOOO Vinny; 01-27-2004 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Skilled

AMEN Bob!

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Warner
Look at the member count, 3000 custom makers and we gave him his own forum, do you think we would let him keep it if he ripped ANYONE off?
We're not all makers. Some of us just use and/or collect them. There is however, a very large percentage of makers on this forum.

Welcome to the forum YOOO Vinny, this is a great place to learn about custom knives and to get to know a lot of the characters that populate this community. When it comes to custom knives I don't think you will find a more knowledgeable crowd then the one that hangs around this forum and that includes the other forum recommended above.

One thing is for sure, I would trust Les to do the absolute best job for you that is possible when it comes to selling your custom knives for you. He has the knowledge and clientele to as well as anyone in the industry and he is honest. You can't beat that combination.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome to the forums, vinny. if you spend some time doing your homework on values, you could post some of these for sale yourself in the ckd classifieds down below on the board. if you start off too high, you can always come down. granted, the exposure wouldn't be as great as elsewhere, but it's an idea.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Registered

Thanks for the welcome and all the input and ideas. I probably wont post too much for now, but I'll be lurking around getting an education on knives.
Paul3, thanks for the link. Great bunch of guy's there on the Randall forum. I was able to get all my model # and sheath questions answered right off the bat
Now I have to try with the more elusive makes.
Cheers, YOOO VINNY
Old 01-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

Les will deal with you fairly..

Maybe consider keeping what you like. If you inherited them they were free, so keep what you like personally.

Some of the names you mentioned are quality makers and most still make the same models. If you?re looking for prices, most make the same models and have current prices for such. Also look at the wait time for receiving one and that will give you a good base for increasing price do to immediate gratification.

Tags
knife, knives