MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 09-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Skilled

New York Custom Knife Show

New York Custom Knife Show

It's coming real soon

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 09-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

Location: Carlisle PA, desperately trying to get back to Wild Wonderful West (by God) Virginia
Send a message via AIM to alchemy knife
NYCKS

I plan on attending for the first time. I just got a new job that will allow me to take at least some of Friday off.

I will also be staying about 20 minutes away with friends, so I won't have to shell out for a hotel. I may even have enough money to buy some knives.:cool:

See you all there.

Pam

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.....WOW, what a ride!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

Metal artist & blacksmith.

Pictures of what I do: http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLandi...28B57&cb=PW
Old 09-27-2003, 07:31 PM
Skilled

Hey Guys......
I have a question.... What's it like to drive to the New York show ?
are there safe places to park your car or is it better to fly and take
a cab..?? Any advice here will be greatly appreciated....Lloyd

Old 09-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Registered

Lloyd,

Driving in NY is hectic and nerve wracking if you've never done it before. If you do it on the Friday, expect traffic jams galore as that's the norm for weekdays in NYC. And when traffic is moving, NYers tend not to pay attention to the lane markings and weave in and out suddenly in order to get ahead. Forget about finding a parking space on the street during business hours, but there are parking garages all over. They are expensive by the hour (like $12/hr) but I think go for something like $30 for the day (not sure of the exact on going rate). It's more civilized during the weekend and you may actually find a parking space on the street, though doubtful. I wouldn't worry about crime while parking on the street so much as getting a ticket or your car towed if you park in a restricted area. Unfortunately the signs marking the restricted areas and times of restrictions are often hidden or very confusing. Best to pay for a day of parking at a garage if you're unfamiliar with NYC. Then when you're done with the knife show you can leisurely take in some touristy things.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Lloyd,

You should be able to park at the hotel. It's usually pricey, but worth it in terms of convenience. Driving in New York isn't that bad- it's hectic but unlike, say, Boston, the ####### know what they are doing and do it well. As for flying, the round trip cab fare from either airport is about the same as parking for a couple days, plus you have the issue of knives and airports...

Ahhh, New York. How I love and hate the girl. I wonder what she has in store for me this year... it's always *something*.

jloose.com

Old 09-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Skilled

Thanks for your help guys....!! I really want to see my friend Ed Wormser's show..... I can't bring any knives but I sure like meeting as many of my fellow knifemakers as possible....

Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 AM
Skilled

Hi Lloyd,

I would like to meet you too. Stop by I will be hanging out at Darrel Ralph's table, when not wandering aimlessly.

As for NY driving, I drive in NYC every day and it's not as bad as some places. Boston and Toronto come to mind. Parking in NYC will run you from $15 to $45 per day depending on the neighborhood. Expect $45 prices in midtown or near places like Carnegie hall (7th Ave & 57th Street) or Lincoln Center or Rockefeller Center.

The Hotel the show is in is across the street from Madison Square Garden and so the nearby parking lots will be in $30 + side per day. You might be able to get a break if you leave your car there for a number of days but don't count on it.

Street parking in NYC is possible, but very difficult. Most places you can only park on the streets from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. (check the signs it varies) You can usually park anywhere on Sundays but that has changed in the last few years and some neighborhoods you can't park for free on sundays either. Also be very careful of night ordinance's. These signs make it illegal to park at night in certain places. Mostly near clubs and event areas. They try to keep people from parking and clogging the streets near these venues.

Taxi ride from LaGuardia or Kennedy airport is in the $30-$35 dollar range plus tip and tolls. (It's a flat rate and should be posted in the cab, it's not based on time or mileage) Newark airport is in the $40-$45 dollar range. This is into Manhattan. It may be more or less to other city locations or to just outside of town.

As a driver and person who has lived and worked in NYC pretty much my entire life. I can tell you that you don't need a car to get around in NYC. You do need one in the suburbs though. A car does have a big convience factor though.

A really good way of seeing the show is if you can find someone to stay with who is near NYC, but not actually in the city. You park your car there and either cab, bus or subway to the show. Even though I could go home every night after the show (I live in the suburbs) I leave my car at home and stay with family in manhattan and take a cab to the show. It's the best way for me and I don't have to worry about parking.

Old 10-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Skilled

I will be going to the show either on Saturday or Sunday. The wife and I have just so happened to book a weekend theater package in New York. I actually did not realize that the knife show was the same weekend until this morning. How convenient! We will be driving in from Boston, so NY traffic should not be much different. In Boston, turn signals are a sign of fear.

Now the big question is, how do I convince the wife that I really need this, oh yea, and one of those and a few of these.........

Looking forward to seeing some of you.

Bill
Old 10-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Skilled

Hi Cigarman, hopefully some of us will manage to get together.

I have heard that mentioned before (about the signals I mean) although I never considered them a sign of fear, more of a you don't signal as you don't want anyone else to know what you are doing so they don't get in your way .

By the way Martinez Cigars is is just 4 blocks (short ones) from the hotel

Old 10-22-2003, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast

Pam, glad to hear you're gonna be there. I'll be there all day Friday.

Phil. 4:13

Never mistake kindness for weakness.

Lifter's Leather

Recommended by Lifter: www.customknives.com/jonesbrothers
Old 11-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Skilled

Weeeelllll, I will be at the show for the next three days, so play nice kids, while I am gone!

Old 11-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Location: Carlisle PA, desperately trying to get back to Wild Wonderful West (by God) Virginia
Send a message via AIM to alchemy knife
Unhappy NYCKS

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the show this year.

Some lady decided to move her car into my lane while I was still in the lane! I am fine. My van (1982 Chevy tank!) has a very few scrapes on the wheel well.

She claims I moved into her lane!!! :confused:

Her Mazda (yuppy truck) has a big scrape on the door. She walked around fine for over an hour before the police showed up. (All the cops did was have us exchange information - no investigation.) She made no complaints about being hurt during all that time.

I talked to her insurance company this afternoon. Seems she went to the hospital last night and has a sling on her arm this morning. She is claiming medical injury, and has hired a lawyer! I have to stick around this weekend to wait for her lawyer to interview me.

I'll try to catch up with you guys in March.

Pam

edited for stupid spelling mistakes.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.....WOW, what a ride!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

Metal artist & blacksmith.

Pictures of what I do: http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLandi...28B57&cb=PW

Last edited by alchemy knife; 11-07-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Skilled

Jerry,

Nice meeting you at the show this weekend. I just got home. I was in New York with the wife for the tourist thing. I think I walked more in NY than I did when I was in Disney. It was a great show and was was nice to finally meet you and Darrel. did you get a chance to spark up that Stogie yet??
Old 11-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Skilled

Nice meeting you too, and a few others who I had not met before.
As to the cigar nope, I put it in my humidor and will light it up this weekend most likely.

Tags
forge, knife, knives