MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 08-11-2003, 06:45 AM
Steel Addict

Here is a couple of photos of another Japanese maker that I recently discovered. His name is Takeshi Saji. The photos really don't do the knives justice. The small neck knife has become one of my favorites.

The blades are a copper, brass and steel combination that is laminated onto a "white steel" cutting edge. Sorry I can't give you any other info than that. I'm still trying to uncover the info. My Japanese is poor at best so it is taking me a while. I plan on attending the Seki-city outdoor knife show this coming October. Hopefully I will have a chance to speak to Saji-san and find out a bit more.

Tim

Old 09-02-2003, 04:01 PM
Steel Addict

White Steel is a carbon toolsteel made by Hitachi in, you guessed it! - Japan. It's sold in Germany by Dick Fine Tools but to be honest, it offer no advantages (known to me) over any other good, clean carbon toolsteel such as 1095 or O1.

Old 09-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Steel Addict

Kevin,

You are correct. My research has brought me to the same conclusion. White steel is a good, fairly common, (here in Japan) tool steel. I believe the main reason for selecting this type of steel is availability. I?m still hoping to meet the maker in October and hopefully, language issue permitting, get some additional info on his technique. I find the combination of the three different colored metals striking and just want to know more.

Tim
Old 09-03-2003, 02:14 AM
Steel Addict

Those blades really look cool. I'd be interested to know what such a knife costs, maybe I can afford one!

A smith friend of mine here made 2 billets for me where the cutting edge is white steel and the outside is very old swedish anchor chain. I made 2 folder blades from the stuff and the pattern is really cool. If I get caught up on my orders, I hope to finish up a couple of folders soon!

Old 09-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Registered

Yoshidia Aida

I have a couple of Aidaknives as well as over 60 Loveless knives.Aida's workmanship is exceptional,his handle material selection is also great.I have one of his New York Specials with snap,amazing piece of work,
Dave Ellis
Old 09-03-2003, 06:41 PM
Steel Addict

Kevin,

I don?t remember exactly but I think Saji-san?s knives in this style run between 10,000 and 25,000 yen each (117 yen = $1 US). I found these at a knife store in Kyoto. I usually stop in there every couple of months so the owners have gotten to know me. They speak a little English and I speak a little Japanese and we sometimes resort to using a Japanese / English dictionary but we manage to communicate. I?ve done an internet search on the maker and have found a lot of his knives, mostly kitchen type, but none of this style. I get the impression they are fairly new. If you are interested I will check with the store the next time I?m there and see if they have a web site or at least email. I?ll let you know.

Tim
Old 09-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Steel Addict

Tim: that would be great! Thanks very much. The prices dont seem out of line. If you need anything from Germany, let me know! Maybe I can fax you a case of good German beer! :-)

Old 09-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Hall of Famer

dave - welcome to ckdf!
if you are able, i would certainly enjoy seeing you post some pics of those 60 loveless and the aida knives!!!
thanx

Last edited by whv; 09-05-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:40 PM
Registered

WHV / Aida & Loveless Pics

My last face to face with Aida was three days ago. I already asked him about photos at our next meet and he agreed. I'll add what I can to the mix after my next sit down (and some shop time) with him in October.

To the extent possible, the pics will include the Aida brothers, the shop, Aida & Loveless blades, and a joint fighting blade project.

If anybody has specific questions or points of interest, let me know here before 1 October, and I will pass them on for response.

I've already mentioned an English language version of his web site, and will be nudging him again on that point.

Tim - FYI

Jim Breen's 60,000 word Jp-Eigo dictionary has an online Palm Pilot version download (free).

I still look like a dumb gaijin doing word searches in mid-conversation, but I always get the right word.

Last edited by Doc Weston; 09-22-2003 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:45 PM

Another Japanese maker

When speaking of Japanese makers I think it would be a disservice to overlook Harumi Hirayama. She has a very distict and beautiful style - a touch of feminine grace in all of her designs. With her you're definitely not going to get the same thing that everyone else is making.

Ben
Old 09-23-2003, 07:07 PM
Steel Addict

Doc

Thanks for the tip. I'll do a search for the dictionary. At this point I'm long past worrying about looking like a dumb gaigin. I am what I am, but I'm always looking for improvement.

Ben,

You are correct! Hirayama-san has some of the most distnctive work I have ever seen. I will be attending the October show in Seki and I'm hoping to see her there.

Tim
Old 10-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Registered

Aida Weston Fighter

Got a couple pics of the new Aida Weston fighter prototype (work in progress) which was displayed at the JKG show in Tokyo Sunday.

If anybody has a tip on uploading images directly from disk, I'm all ears.

Tags
blade, knife, knives