MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 PM

Jantz supply blades?

Hello everyone, a newbie here. I am in the process of doing research into making my own knife (knives...), and by the amount of content on knifenetwork.com, it looks like I might of hit a goldmine.

I am looking for a blade that I can use for general hunting, mostly for deer. I do not do any skinning, and I don't really plan on it either. I need a general field dressing knife, but I WANT something thats a little different, and with maybe a bit of class, that will do the job. So I have been searching, and have found a few blades at Jantz Supply.

They are listed under the Damascus Seven, and are described as 'bird blades'. A couple are listed with 3 & 3.5 inch blades, which I feel would be fine for what I am going to be using it for. Question I have is has anyone had any experience with these blades, and Jantz for that matter, and are they worth making into a knife? And maybe a more important question will be are the 3" or so blades be adequate for my needs? I have use a very cheap folder in the past, with a 4" blade, and it has done everything I have needed it to do.

Another option I have found on Jantz is called the 'Boomerang'. Its a much larger damascus blade, but I like the looks of the smaller blades.

Suggestions, criticism, opinions, and anything else is all greatly appreciated.

If anyone is interested in pistols and pistol hunting, check out
http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/groupee.

A Smith
movsouth@verizon.net
Old 08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Master

ive never dealt with those blades before so cant comment on them. however i have done business with jantz for years and i am 100% happy with their service. very fast, very profesional, and every item i have ordered i have been happy with.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Steel Addict

Ditto what AUBE said.
I am very satisfied with the service from Jantz. They are fast & friendly. I have never had a problem with them or their products, though I haven't used the blades you mentioned.

Dale
Old 09-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I will also ditto on the Jantz comments above and I have used their blades. When I first started knife making I made quite a few knives from Jantz blades. They are as good as any commercial blade you can find.

Also, I think a blade in the 3 - 4" range would be great for what you say you need ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Guru

Another echo of support for Jantz. I haven't used their blades but I am 100% satisfied with my orders from them. I've never had a problem with an order or product, but I get the feeling that they'll make it right if I do.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 09-01-2006, 11:23 AM

More of the same praise for the great folks at Jantz! The best thing for me is next day delivery since I only live a couple a'hundred miles up the interstate!

Go for it brother!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-01-2006, 03:42 PM

Thanks gentlemen. Sounds as though I should have no problems with Jantz. I'll post some pics with the blade I decide on.

I have to say that I don't think I have ever seen so much info about a subject in one website. I am a FFL holder, a small time dealer, and am interested in firearms. And when I go about searching for info on such subjects, it seems I spend more time googling than I do on research. Not here though. I have been on here for the last two nights going through this website and I am simply amazed at what I have found. Great info, all in one place. Thanks to all.

A Smith
Old 09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Skilled

Welcome aboard.

Be warned that making knives can be VERY addicting, before you know it you'll be making your own blades.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Skilled

I happen to live pretty close to Jantz and have had the chance to order online and at the store. Online, I got the order the day my credit card was actually charged, in store they were extremely helpful as it was the first time I had bought any knife making tools/kits and they walked me through the whole process. I'm on my third blade from them and love the other two knives I have gotten from them.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 09-20-2006, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the responses. Although I wanted to start off with a fixed blade, I actually ordered a GX6 kit from knifekits. I have assembled it, just to see how things go together, but I am not all that thrilled with it. I see a couple problems.

I have to say first that I have not gone thru with a file or stone to remove the burrs. That may help things alittle, so we'll see. First issue is blade tightness. It seems as though to take most of the side to side movement out of the blade, you have to tighten the pivot pin to a point where the kniofe is almost unopenable. I have the PB bushings installed if anyone is wondering.

Another observation is that the liner lock is recessed deeply, and I can barely get my thumb on it to close the blade. And thats without scales.

I finally have my wood, and I am picking up a beltsander this weekend ( a Delta 1" belt with disc). The real work will start this weekend. I'll smooth things up and see how she works then.

As for Jantz. Sounds like a good outfit. Lots of blade blanks to choose from, plus everything I think I would need. I also found a local company, North Coast Knife that has a good selection of blaeds as well. Decisions, decisons...

A Smith

Tags
blade, card, first time, fixed blade, hunting knife, kits, knife, knife making, knives, making, ore, pivot, store, tools