MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 02-21-2002, 08:11 AM
nifeman

Anvil identification ??

Hi fellers, I picked up an anvil the other night for $200.00. It is a 250# deal,(real HOSS) but, I don't know what kind it is. The friend who sold it to me said it came out of a old welding shop in Fayetteville, N.C. a few years ago. The only marks I found on it was J-C O____. I couldn't make out the rest. It's flat with only some minor dings in it that I think I can get out with an angle grinder. Also there's a square hole (like the hardie hole) thru the waist. Anyway it don't move when you hit it. Well any help would be appreciated...Bud

www.msnusers.com/Outofthe...PhotoID=30
Old 02-21-2002, 08:25 AM
MaxTheKnife

Well, the square hole in the waist makes me think of a Mousehole anvil. Is the square hole in line with the face or does it go through at right angles to the face?
Old 02-21-2002, 09:31 AM
nifeman

Yes the hole goes thru from horn to heel. ~~ Bud Thanks for tryimg to help!!
Old 02-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Thomas Powers

anvil id

I have *the* book at home and can look through it tonight
(Anvils in America)

From the basic shape it's not a Trenton, Arm&Hammer, Hay Budden, Peter Wright.

Might be a Moushole or Vulcan or a Fisher---they have thicker heels (but the face is usually thicker on the Fishers)

Does the sq hole in the waist go all the way through?
What does the bottom of the anvil look like?

Any writing or numbers along the bottom edge below the horn?

Good buy by the looks of it---you'll really enjoy it if you can set it in place and leave it alone!

Just remember that even 500# anvils have grown wings and flown away before...take precautions!

Bog Iron (and the Fisher is chained to the Peter Wright and the PW is chained to the Hay Budden and the HB is chained to the Arm&Hammer and ....)
Old 02-21-2002, 06:37 PM
MaxTheKnife

Re: anvil id

Geez, I didn't even see the pic link! Slapping his head. That looks just like my #160 Peter Wright except for the shape of the base. My Peter Wright has 4 distinct feet which makes it easy to anchor to a stump with large spikes. That was a read good deal at less than a dollar a pound. Good score Bud.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:45 PM
oakforge

Re: anvil id

Looks just like my peter wright 125#er plus my peter wright has square holes too. mine does say peter wright on it though. it does look like a peter wright though. i believe peter wright wrked for mouse holebefoe hventure outon hi own. maybe bogiron can confirm or deny this

0ak
Old 02-21-2002, 08:47 PM
nifeman

Hey Thomas, I'm not sure if the hole goes all the way thru. I didn't have time to check, it stopped when I tried to push a piece of rebar thru it (might of had dirt or something in it), but, it does look like it lines up. Also it has the casting pits and stuff all over it so it's really hard to see the writing, but I don't think there's anything else on it. Well any help is appreciated, thanks.. Bud
Old 02-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Bog Iron

Good!

Most built up anvils have portage holes under heel and horn (and sometimes on in the bottom as well!) they don't go in far but are there to allow folks to grab a couple hundred pounds of welding hot metal and manipulate it during welding or forging operations on it.

They are a good sign---forget the vulcan or fisher---can you do a rubbing? What is the ring like? Rebound?

Bog Iron ---off the net till monday

Tags
blade, forge, forging