MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:07 AM

Black Torx Screws and Pivots

Hi, All:

I have this idea to create a Typhoon with carbon fiber inserts, and I was thinking of giving it a more tactical look by using all black torx screws and pivot heads (basically all hardware. It might even be neat to paint the backspacers black).

Would any of the black screws found at knife kits work for me? Or, perhaps, maybe there is some metal paint I could buy and simple paint them all. I'd be afriad of chipping in that case, but still, with a sealing coat, that might help.

Any thoughts on this nutty idea?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Peter-

I very much like the black screw idea... I don't know offhand what size screws are used in the Typhoon kit. As I'm sure you already know, Knifekits.com has a great selection of screws (along with a boatload of other assorted, knife-related fasteners). They've turned the website into a one-stop-shop for knifemakers...Their service is super and whenever possible I get most of my knifemaking supplies from them....especially specialty screws, pivots, etc. From what I can see on their site they do offer several different, black-coated, Torx screws in both 2-56 and 6-32. If those are the right sizes for your Typhoon then you're home free.

If not, there are alternatives (when it comes to knifemaking...there are always alternatives)

I often like to use black screws...and last year, when I was sourcing black 0-80's for my little Topo Gigio's, I came up with a rather nifty alternative...... alloy screws (as in, "not stainless"...In a moment I'll explain why this is meaningful).

I buy the alloy screws from these guys:
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/SSC.cfm

The alloy screws are already all black in color! And they look really good. But for a couple of my knives I've "altered" the black surface of the screws... with cool results. What I do is lightly sand off the black oxides, and then I place the (tiny) screws in a stainless mesh, small parts basket such as this:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...=13893&s=19587

And then I blue them using molten nitre salts...right on my kitchen stove!!! The result is wayyyy cool!!! (BTW- I do it late at night so as not to freak out my wife). ;-)

I've only got a couple of photos that show off the blue screws...They're of my first Topo Gigio... You'll have to pardon the crappy pics...I shot them back before I had a clue of how to photograph my knives. But you can at least get an idea of how the (button head) screws looked when blued:

Here are a couple that are more recent, where I used socket screws and left them all black:

We're only limited by our imagination....

Dennis Greenbaum

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 06-20-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Dennis:

I used to think you were a genius, but now you're telling me you're cooking screws on your wife's stove?

That, sir, could land you in divorce court!

Seriously, wondeful job. I'd already read on Chuck's website about how you matched the screws to another part of the bali using two different chemical processes.

I guess what I really need to figure out is the exact sizes/lengths, etc. of the pivot pin screws and the rear assembly screws. Also, getting black pins might be a real challenge. I see some on the knife kits site, but I'm unsure they are the correct ones. Maybe I'll drop Darrel a line and see if anyone has all the exact measurements.

If I can only get the black screws, maybe I can paint the orginial pins with black nail polish, then coat with clear so the polish doesn't chip. It's my understanding that black nail polish sticks good to metal. Maybe I'd need to rough up the pins a bit to start.

I just think black hardware like that would look cool on a CF Typhoon, make it look real tactical. Dennis, thanks again. I am priviledged to be under your tuteledge. -peter
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM

Peter-

Pretty much any aftermarket screw you buy is most likely gonna be too long. But once you determine the screw sizes, you can cut/file/grind them to whatever length you need. You'll find that it's relatively easy to shorten them to size.

I start by cutting off most of the excess length using end nippers (you can find them at Home Depot, Lowe's...or any other tool supply). Heavy duty wire cutters can also work. For all the screws, including the pivots, all you need is to do a little sight fitting... File/grind down the length a bit (a Dremel with one of the stock aluminum oxide sanding bands will grind it down quickly...be careful...the metal screw will get hot...fast!)...Then check to see if it's the right size. Keep repeating until it fits OK.

The best way to grind down screws is to tap a thin piece of scrap metal with the correct size of your screw, and then screw it in. The part of the screw that sticks out the other side of the scrap metal can then easily be ground down. And then the excess bur that forms around the tip is automatically cleaned off when you back the screw out of the tapped hole. If this method isn't easy or convenient for you, then I strongly suggest that you at least find a way to grip the screw in a vice, or with a set of pliers, or any other method that works for you. Just don't try holding the screw in your hand while grinding it down. ;-)

If you're replacing liner screws, simply screw the (too long) screw into the liner (make sure you do this with the scales in place...you don't want your screws to be too short)...Then grind off the excess that pokes through the other side. Easy!

If you find that it's difficult to feed the threads of the newly ground-down screws into their respective openings... it's because the end that's been cut down is usually too coarse and needs to be cleaned-up so that it's nice and "square"... I use emory boards in my shop all the time (from the cosmetic department of the local drug store...They come in grits ranging from 80 grit to 600 grit....I have a well-stocked drawer full of them in every grit). A quick clean-up of the end of the screw using the emory boards and it'll then thread OK.

Have fun...

Dennis

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 06-20-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:04 AM

THESE WILL DO THE TRICK.
http://www.knifekits.com/store/s-pag...ools_kksic.htm
Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Thanks, gentlemen! I hadn't seen those size charts. VERY HANDY! I'll have to put them on my next order. Have to save up my $$$$. Just dropped nearly 500 yesterday at knifekits! And I did order a damascus Typhoon blade, whoo hoo! Can't wait to see it! Take care! peter
Old 06-21-2007, 10:41 AM

DR-

You made that way too easy....

Dennis

Tags
blade, knife, knives