MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Cutting profiles

I would like to hear how you all are profiling blades.Hacksaws, handsaws, torch...... I've been using my bench grinder but its really slow. Of course I can use my belt grinder for some of it but can't really get some of the inside curves with that.
Thanks Sam
Old 11-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Steel Addict

I use my bandsaw to get a rough outline and then use the belt grinder to smooth out the edges
Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Skilled

If you're on a tight budget like me, harbor freight carries an angle grinder thats like $15. That's what I rough cut them out on. Then, I go to my belt grinder and finish it off. Getting in those inside curves can be tough but I play with the tracking of my belt and I'm able to do it pretty well.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 AM
Skilled

Much like Hunter also on a tight budget... I use an angle grinder for the rough profile (taking care not to over heat the stock metal). I prefer a 4" metal cutoff wheel. I don't have a 2X72 yet so I clean it up with my bench grinder. For fine-tuning the profile I have a Harbor Freight 4 X 36 belt w/6"disc. For curved portions of the profile I use a couple different sizes of barrel sanding bits in the drill press and/or hand file. Occasionally use a Dremel for tight spots but I try to avoid that tool.
Eventually I plan to invest in a good band saw.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Bandsaw and belt grinder ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-20-2015, 05:21 AM

I converted a Milwaukee Portaband to have a 4"x4" cutting deck and so I could mount it in a vise when needed. Works like a champ and stows away when not in use (always good). Picked the used portaband at a yard sale for $50, just needed a new cord. I don't need a bigger saw, as I forge most of my blades to shape. Seldom use pre-cut blanks, hot cut most material (quicker for me).
Have done a lot with side grinders and cutoff wheels - pretty dusty but gets the job done. Very handy tool once you get used to it and learn how to handle it.
>Wear Safety Gear!<

Both the portaband and sidegrinder(s) get used several times a week for all kinds of things and are just great tools to have in your arsenal anytime.

Hey Rockhound! Finally crawl out of your mine and join the surface dwellers again? Hope is was a good season for you.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Skilled

Hi Carl! Thanks, yes... mining and my biz both kept me very busy this last season. Winter is now starting to sock-in and the mine is inaccessible until spring so I'll be here lurking daily again and fiddling with knife projects to stave off the cabin fever.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:59 AM

Exactly like Hunter. 4 1/2" 'el cheapo' Harbor Freight angle grinder (on my third one now, so I went with a better quality model at $30 - liked the first one best).

Hunter also has it exactly right about tracking adjustments on a contact wheel to get into the grooves.

These days, I use the small wheel attachment I picked up from Tracy Mickly over at USA Knifemaker's Supply.

I also find myself using half-round files for choils and other details.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Skilled

Well, I was meaning I adjusted the tracking on my belt and used my platen to get into the grooves, but a contact wheel would work too.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Steel Addict

I use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel for rough shape (not for much longer, I see a nice band saw in my near future) I then finish up on my belt grinder. I don't have small wheels for it, so I get as close as I can on the edge of the platen on the inside curves, then use a spindle sander to finish them. We all make do with what we have, until we get what we want. My first couple knives were made with a hacksaw, bench grinder, and files. This is the only hobby I've ever had that pays for it'self. I've been able to acquire a shop full of good tools and a nice kiln. Have a mill being delivered Monday. Good luck, and stick with it Sam!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast

Ok thanks guys. Looks like it's angle grinder, bench grinder and belt grinder with maybe a little hacksawing for me.
Sam
Old 11-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Enthusiast

Also one of those with a small "general purpose" shop and a limited budget, I use a hack saw with good blades to cut the rough profile. Then switch to a Dayton 1x42 belt sander and diamond files for most of the detail shaping, but I also use a Jet oscillating spindle sander for inside curves. With 5 different diameter spindles, it works great and provides a pretty smooth result. It also makes it easier to keep parts square. I use the spindle sander and a disk sander for making the guards out of bar stock.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Skilled

if you feel REALLY ambitious you could use a drill press.... 1/16" bit..... outline your design..... then play connect the dots with one of these....
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/ger...e/110042?Pos=7

*I'm being a smart ass, but there was a time when this was what I had to do.

Tags
2x72, angle, band saw, bee, belt, bench grinder, blade, blades, edge, forge, grinder, hand, handle, heat, hot, how to, hunter, material, metal, mount, press, profile, sanding, surface, tools