MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Skilled

Banned from Knifetalkforum

So much for freedom of speech.
I was just banned on the knifetalkforum the Randall Made knives forum for defending myself when Chris Stanaback went after me for a "percieved" insult.
They went so far as cleaning up the dialog that led to the ban, so don't bother looking for it, it is gone.
There are many here that are members of the other forum, so just as a warning, don't stand up for yourself, or defend your position, or you will be dumped too, as many before have been.
I have many friends on the other forum that know me and my character, and I wanted to let you guys know.
Too bad not much is going on here. The site that Rhett started was a wonderful place for information with some very knowledgable people. Unfortunately, it has become a closed community that, if you have a differing opinion, you are marginalized.

Rhett would not be happy.

Thanks for letting me speak my piece, as it were.

Regards, Sam

Last edited by samg; 10-12-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Enthusiast

It was "cleaned up" I read that forum all the time and I do not understand why you were banned I don't get it., just like I don't get why jacknola was banned he like you were an asset all the best Sam
Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Skilled

Thanks Sligo
I was banned, because like Jacknola, who was the one with the original observation that exposed the error of identifying the early RMK stamped sheaths as Johnson made, when in fact they were Heiser made.
I added to that observation, then when the "establishment" tried to shut me down by childish name calling, I persisted quite effectively to defend my position.
Then the discussion was sent to the lounge, where I continued to defend myself, and eventually the owner warned me to silence myself on this subject, which I did.

This was all back in the spring, everything went well for several months, then on Neales Request thread, someone asked a question about a couple of rare knives that had surfaced, and someone commented that Gary Randall would probably know.
Then I posted this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg
I have seen Gary Randall's name evoked many times in this forum, is he a member, or does he have any interest in the collectors forum?

Innocent enough, just a question. A couple other members answered that they thought he may be be, and that "______" (no name mentioned, I am not out to name anyone) would be able to answer the question.

Well, stanaback commented too, and fortunately I captured the comment as I felt it may have been removed later, which it was. Here was his reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanaback
This is the first time I have responded to any of your posts in a long, long time Sam. Gary Randall needs prove his interest in collectible Randall knives to no one, least of all you!
Gary "only" poured over a million dollars and 10 years of his time, including weekend time, into an incredible museum for all Randall collectors to enjoy for decades to come. Gary, individually, used the shop's diamond saw and hand cut each and every Geode used for the entrance to that very museum!
God, I tire of your dribble. Know a little bit more about the people you criticize Sam. Gary Randall is way out of your league!

That caught me by surprise. Out of the blue, Stanaback goes after me. Then of course, later on, a moderator cleans up all evidence of the insult.

After my initial comment and question about Gary, Scott Maynard asked me to explain, that perhaps I mis-spoke my comment. So I went on to explain that I didn't mis-speak, but they misunderstood.
Scott went on to project that he percieved as 5-6 others that emailed him had, that I insulted Gary Randall, which in no way did I do that! I don't know the man. That's another long subject.
Anyway, this went on a bit, then a moderator locked the thread down.

I then took it to the lounge to express my opinion about it. , and also to apologize to the member whose thread was locked down.
When I did that, I received a warning shot across the bow by Rick Turbeville, warning me, the guy who was verbally assaulted, to cease, or face permanent ban.

Well, I did, but was banned anyway. By the way, my lounge comment was removed too.

Everything nice and clean over there, no evidence left of their ill behavior.

Here was the final explanation to me via email by Turbeville;

Email subject was, I asked you to let it rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbeville
Sam

Apparently you don?t know when to quit.

I hope you can find another forum more suited to you.

You are no longer welcome here.

Goodbye.
That was it.

I assure you that I did nothing but defend myself, and answer each comment that was directed at me.
I have been verbally assaulted by these guys with no fear of being called out. I had many members email me personally with their support, but no support on the forum. I understand that, as they feared banning as well.

Rhett would be so disappointed in the way his forum has been hijacked.

I really dislike mentioning names, but they obviously had no respect for me, so why should I for them?

If anyone reading this is a new member of that forum, my advise to you is, its a great place for information, going thru all the threads is a learning experience, just be careful not to stand up to anyone with your own opinion or insight, or you will be unceremoniously kicked out too.
If you ask a question, accept the answer, no matter how flawed it may sound.

Regards, Sam

Last edited by samg; 10-27-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Skilled

I see that there have been 60 views of this new thread. It is a shame that there have been no new threads since July. People are looking, just not participating.
Of course it could be the powers that be from the other forum are trolling to see if there is any collateral damage that they need to manage.

While there, when being assaulted during the sheath fiasco, I received many emails from members who supported me, but they did not verbalize it on the forum, perhaps out of fear of being assaulted and banned too.
Is there a way that we can all make this a viable alternative to the insulting dictatorship of the other forum?
Please don't just look and move on, put in your 2 cents worth.

It would be great to have a viable alternative to the other forum. Otherwise this will continue to happen to other people who have a voice, or care to defend themselves.

This forum has been a great place to express an opinion, or ask a question without fear of being hammered.
I hope somehow it manages to be rekindled.

Last edited by samg; 10-04-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Sorry for what has happened to you Sammy. I honestly did not see what the guys that were upset saw. I thought your question was a completely honest one. I'm not aware of an agenda that you have against Gary or Randall knives. In fact it's fairly obvious that you like me love Randall Knives and their history. I don't know what the issue is between you and the leadership of the other forum but obviously there is tension. I did think that there was an over-reaction to your comment and hate to see you banned. I think you have started some very interesting threads with some very well thought out articulate comments. However there is a wealth of knowledge on the other forum, as there is here, and some really great guys. Because of that forum I have Randall friends all over the country and I do enjoy visiting with them and talking about these knives we love so much.
I would like to address your original question about Gary's comments or lack of comments on the forum.
I suppose one of the reasons Gary doesn't post on the forum or any forums is that his shop has a four to five year waiting period to receive a knife. That means he is busy. Very busy, and simply doesn't have the time to keep up with what a bunch of knuckleheads like us are saying. I can respect that.
Finally I have been in trouble over there myself. Personally I hate the arguing and bickering. That is because I absolutely enjoy so much holding, using, swapping and trading Randall Knives. I have been involved with them since 1979 when as a college student I received a Randall catalog that year and I read and studied that catalog over and over and over again until I almost wore the wording off the pages. I was so intrigued with the Randall mystic that I began searching for all the information I could find on Randall's. At that time there wasn't much out there. There was that book by Beaucant or whatever his name is. That book was interesting but was full of mistakes. Then Gaddis came out with his book. I drove to Orlando to purchase that book at a Knife Show there. I have read and re-read that book so many times. That was and is a great book. Then Mr. Hunt came out with a series of books. There was also a book by Mr. Tom Clinton regarding Vietnam Special Forces Knives.....SOG knives and such. But as I remember also covered the Vietnam era Randall's. I have that book too but it has been a while since I've read it. Finally there was Pete's book. Lots of info. But even with all that info there has been just a wealth of knowledge to be learned here on the net. And I really enjoy getting on these forums and keeping up with what's going on......I don't want to lose that capability.....here on this forum or the other one. Guess I am really rambling now.....my point here is to let you know I'm sorry for what happened to you but I guess it's time to move on.
I've enjoyed your Astro threads and look forward to more.
Ronnie
Old 10-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Skilled

Thanks so much for your kind comments Ronnie.
You have been the peacemaker many times over there. I wish I had more of your temperament.
My problem is that I don't back down when wrongfully attacked. This last episode stunned me.
I suppose that after the sheath disagreement earlier in the year the powers that be were looking for the opportunity. They thought that I was a moron, disrespectful, taking swipes, etc. When all that was happening was I was standing my ground.
Through it all this year, yes, I did debate and disagree, but never escalated it to name calling and assaulting someone's character as was done to me. It's all on record over there. I used the same name samg, as I do here, if anyone wants to see my record.
Then all was well for quite some time, then out of the blue, it started again.

You know someone's character more by what they do, their actions, than what they say.
To illustrate it, without mentioning names, at Blade a couple of years ago, I entrusted someone with a sheath that meant a lot to me, to give to someone else for me because they lived close, and offered to do it. It was a gift for the other person. Well it was never given to the other person. It obviously wasn't important enough to remember their word that it would be delivered. Not only was it lost, but an apology or reimbursement was never offered. So this person can say what they want, but I know their character by their action, or inaction as it were.

If I were an ass and was looking to go after someone, I would have done so after this happened. But I didn't.
Hopefully the one who I am talking about reads this and gets my meaning and can grow from it.

Just as I didn't attempt to hurt his name or reputation over this, I didn't go after Gary or anyone else.

Sometimes our perception filters are wrong. That was the case on this one too.
You are right Ronnie, time to move on. Thanks for your insight and kind words, you are an asset to any community. Keep me in the loop if you find that Solingen Astro non NASA knife. I will do the same. I love your passion for Randall knives, I have the same.
These guys don't make it easy though.

Regards, Sam

Last edited by samg; 10-04-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Ha Sammy I've been called a lot of things but "peacemaker" ain't one of em!
Good luck buddy.
Ronnie
Old 10-04-2015, 05:37 PM

Hi Sam!

Your banishment from KTF may be an unfortunate development, but given the history over there, it's not entirely unexpected.

However please don't worry, you are very welcome here at the Knife Network. I look forward to your future contributions.

Cheers!

David

P.S. Your banning has earned you a membership in a not so exclusive club in which Rick, Jack, myself and many others of stout heart and good intentions are already members in good standing.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Skilled

Thanks David. And thanks for the encouraging words. I look forward to it.
They didn't want to play fair, so they took their toys and went home :-)

Regards, Sam
Old 10-04-2015, 07:02 PM
Skilled

*bounces up and down

ooo ooo oohoo..... how can I earn membership amongst this elite group of knife patriots?

sadly this is an all too common situation on internet forums in general. some of the jewelry ones can be even worse than what was just described... like shutting down the whole group/forum and starting a new one simply because someones vanity is offended by anothers experience.

I don't have a personal interest in randalls, nor know much about them other than randall fanatics are as diehard as case collectors. as far as I can tell youre more than welcome on this forum. I wont badmouth or kick you out. ;p
Old 10-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Skilled

Funny guy Damon :-)
Good point about the vanity.
The Randall collectors are a hearty group that love these knives, and support one another for the most part. Randall Made Knives have a great history with significant periods that tie in with American History. Great bunch of guys too.
Thanks for your comments.

I'm happy to say that it would take a lot to get tossed out of this group :-).
Regards, Sam
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 PM

Howdy Folks,

I'm still alive and scratchin'. I'm honored to note that 2016 will mark the thirty-fifth year of my association with the Randall family. April 23, 2016 will mark the fifth anniversary of the untimely death of my friend Rhett Stidham. His passing also marked the beginning of the end for the forum that Rhett and I started as well as the demise of the Randall Knife Society. From 1989 until his passing, Rhett Stidham worked tirelessly to make the RKS the premier collector group for Randall Made Knives. There is not and likely will not be another organization like the RKS. I can say with complete conviction that Rhett would be deeply disappointed in what has become of his efforts.

Perhaps one day I'll publish the entire story of what transpired after April 2011 to leave us where we are today. Though I'm aware of what our forum has become, for now I take a great deal of pleasure in not dealing with the drama.

For those of us that have been banned (and I was the first), you should wear it as a badge of honor. Rhett would appreciate that. I will say that I find it comical that "the other forum" still carries the banner "A place where EVERYONE is welcome to join in on the discussion of knives and other sharp things". I would add "as long as you don't disagree with the dictator".
Old 10-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Enthusiast

Loved your response Rick! LOL
DICTATOR - you mean the ghost that 'owns' the forum but RARELY participates??
Its a sad world over there - there's a couple of others there that make me scratch my head but I'll leave their name from this forum.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:58 AM

Hi folks!

I would just add the dictators don't usually endure without the aid of their henchmen.

Cheers!

David, a proud member of the Banned Brothers Club.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Hi folks!

I would just add the dictators don't usually endure without the aid of their henchmen.

Cheers!

David, a proud member of the Banned Brothers Club.
Truer words[henchmen] were never spoken!!

Tags
back, bee, blade, book, cleaning, diamond, easy, first time, hand, home, knife, knives, made, make, post, problem, project, randall, rare, rolling, sheath, sheaths, shop, show, sog