MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Skilled

Just how hard is it to learn

I have been around the custom knife business for some time. I have made a lot of knives but still struggle with that slipjoint I want to make. Time in the shop is one factor and knowledge is another. I admire so much the skilled maker and their ability in doing things just right. My greatest gift in folder making was talking to Don Robinson. Now here is a gifted maker. Skillful beyond expectation, knowledgeable in so many things and the wonderful capacity to share and to discuss any problem you might have. I can truly recommend any book he has done as well as any teaching he has engaged in too. His book on slipjoints is my favorite although I have all of them he has done. His slipjoint book answered so many questions for me and if I got in trouble I just emailed him to ask. The book was one I had insisted on for some time and he was working on it, quietly all the time I was asking. It is rare today to find a tutorial on slipjoint making. The bottom line for some of us is just how do we learn to do things. Don will answer that question. I have read that book so many times that my wife assumes I want to be buried with it. Just how hard is it to learn? Oh, I asked that a lot. Don's book gave me an answer. I know many of you have the book. And I know all of you learned something. That is a gift to all of us...
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Master

Don is one GREAT GUY. He is there for everyone. He will tell you he does the knife making because he wants to, not because he has to. His knowledge has accumulated over a period of time. Quite possibly he has always been a quick learner, but no matter because I know his attitude is one where he knows repetition will provide the learning. This person knows that's true. Don's attitudes and approaches have encouraged me as well. Most often what makes someone's todays work as good as it is, is what was done in the past. My continuing encouragement to you. As well I wish myself further advancement. Frank

Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Don is great on any kind of question.
A kind, careful answer is what you can expect from him anytime.
A more helpful person would be hard to find, Don covers whatever you need.
Center Cross is honored to have Don as one of our teachers, and I am proud to call him my friend as well.

BTW, Don and I will have a new video out next year on "Pocket Knife Design", and his slip joint drawings will be included as one of the many designs this video will feature.

CCIV also offers a slip joint video with Weldon Whitley, and an excellent lesson it is.
God bless you.
Geno
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Hall of Famer

Awwww, gosh, guys!!!

Sounds like I'm lying in a casket with my friends giving the eulogy!

I've had a wonderful life, and will continue to do so with friends like you.

I've learned something from every knifemaker I've known. So my reason for writing the books was to make some of that knowledge available to anyone who is interested. We can't all get together in person so having it in print or on a video is the next best thing.

I've had good compliments on the slipjoint book. So maybe I've helped someone else.

Thanks for the good things you've said.

Keep on keeping on!!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Niro View Post
Most often what makes someone's todays work as good as it is, is what was done in the past. Frank

Ain't that the truth, Frank. I've never done anything that turned out perfect. Never will, that's left up to our maker.

So to do anything better, we all need to learn what we can from others and keep on learning from our mistakes.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Skilled

you know Don,I have been around this business a long time and have to say it is rare and a privilege to know someone like you. Your ability for sure but your willingness to share, to help and to communicate is just beyond outstanding. I wish every book you have written was in total demand all of the time. The power to ask anything, to know where the answers are is just a gift to all of us. I am very proud you are my friend...

Tags
folder, folding knife, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, pocket knife