MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Guru

rondel dagger

I took a break between studying sessions for an upcoming cert. test and finished up this small rondel dagger. I originally made the blade waaaaay back. In fact, it's one of the very first pattern welded pieces I ever did...successful ones that is!

The blade is 1095, 1018 and L6. It's ground asymmetric with one side bladed and the upper with a false edge all the way down. The bluing came out pretty cool. The blade was only lightly etched, but the diferent steels blued drastically different. The 1095 came out deep black, the 1018 dark brown and the L6 a light blue. The fittings are wrought iron, blued, with a hammer-peened finish. The handle is carved axis stag with a small bocote spacer. the tang is peened over to hold it all together (with the help of a bit of epoxy inside the antler). The scabbard is bocote with leather, but not quite finished yet...so no pics yet. The picture here is from a scanner, which has issues with perspective when parts of the subject are farther away, but you can see the basics. I'm fix'n to head out of town again for a few days so this will have to do for now!

OAL: ~12"
blade: ~7 3/4"
Edited to update the pics! These look much better than the crappy scanner pic! Hope nobody is still using dial-up!

OAL: ~12"
blade: ~7 3/4"

Last edited by Don Halter; 05-08-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

Your stuff is awesome! Thanks for showing us.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, this is one you brought "in-progress" to the hammerin at Stan's. If so, the pic doesn't do it justice (and the pic's not bad!). This is a VERY cool knife!

{Edit} I'm on dial-up, but it was worth the wait! Better pics really show off the knife!! Nice job, Don!!

Last edited by TexasJack; 05-08-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Living Legend

Cool beans Don.The hammered texture on the furniture is a classic touch

Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Steel Addict

Nice Don!
I like the bocote scabbard. I like bocote for handles, especially when I can get presentation grade. What finish did you use on the sheath?
Great work,
Dale
Old 05-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Guru

Thanks! I also love bocote. It gets such a nice finish and seems to be relatively immune to shrinkage in TX humidity. I roughed it out on a disk grinder with 80 grit, then hand sanded with 120. Next, I rubbd it with 320, then buffed with white rouge. I rubbed it down with linseed oil ad will let it cure for a week, then buff again. This gives a high water resistant shine on naturally waxy woods like this.

I finally figured out which hammer works best for texturing. It looks sweet ith the blued finish on wrought!

Tags
blade, knife