MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:23 AM

Goater,

You and I have very similar processes for making knives--stock-removal, batch making in a variety of different steels, right down to using a Sharpie on the tang of a profiled blank to remind me of which steel I used.
It's like those pics could have come from my shop.

Rubber wheels in any size will give you a more uniform cut and far better belt life.

I find your designs to be intelligent, organic, and aesthetically pleasing. Adding an optional hollow grind to your existing design selection would, as a friend and customer once eloquently described, "give(s) it a look and feel of precision craftsmanship".
A 10 or even a 12 inch wheel would suit your work nicely, but an 8 inch would also be appropriate for some of your profiles with shorter spine height.

The urethane wheels from Tracey Mickley over at USA Knifemaker's Supply are just as good as rubber and cheaper to boot. There are other sources as well. I've been using one for years!

I really like your work brother.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 10-22-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Guru

Andrew are you talking about the "poly" wheels at usa knife makers??? I have a 10in and haven't done too much work on it cause I am still not very good at hollow grinding I have used it to profile some knives. but mine is starting to kinda dish in the middle of it either the middle is colapsing a lil or the edges are expanding. its not much but like I said I haven't used it all that much so I figured its not going to get better in time only worse. I am told the rubber ones wont do that.. again its not a BIG dish just slightly, has yours ever had any of this go on?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett View Post
Goater,

You and I have very similar processes for making knives--stock-removal, batch making in a variety of different steels, right down to using a Sharpie on the tang of a profiled blank to remind me of which steel I used.
It's like those pics could have come from my shop.

Rubber wheels in any size will give you a more uniform cut and far better belt life.

I find your designs to be intelligent, organic, and aesthetically pleasing. Adding an optional hollow grind to your existing design selection would, as a friend and customer once eloquently described, "give(s) it a look and feel of precision craftsmanship".
A 10 or even a 12 inch wheel would suit your work nicely, but an 8 inch would also be appropriate for some of your profiles with shorter spine height.

The urethane wheels from Tracey Mickley over at USA Knifemaker's Supply are just as good as rubber and cheaper to boot. There are other sources as well. I've been using one for years!

I really like your work brother.
Thank you, that is very nice (and encouraging) for you to say. I do try to make a knife that I like and would use. So far that works... on the one hand. On the other hand, I'm terrible at resisting the urge to keep "prototypes" for my own use! I mean, how many knives does one guy need?
And by the way, I also follow your work on Facebook and like what I see!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:23 PM

I have the opposite problem.
I make a knife for myself and wind up selling it.

Thanks!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
1084, 1095, bee, belt, blade, blades, brass, edc, grinding, hand, knife, knives, kydex, kydex sheath, made, make, maple, micarta, neck knife, o-1, pins, sharp, sheath, shop, tanto