MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Concerns re the future of friction folders

Hi all,

I've not been posting for a while, but wondered what you thought about the following.

I'm a huge fan of friction folders and have several customs, Ben Cardosa, Fred Perrin, Michael Morris, and many more. I favour this type, not least 'cause they're simple, safe and secure, but also are UK legal EDC if the cutting edge of the blade doesn't exceed 3".

Which brings this post to what worries me. Many custom makers of friction folders advertise their wares online alongside (it must be said beautifully made) straight edge razors, which are specifically forbidden, by all UK laws, to be carried in public. (you'd need a very, very good reason for carrying a cut throat in your pocket) The makers show friction folders, then straight razors and even talk, recklessly in my opinion, about friction folders being an extension of the open razor design.

If this continues to be the case, it's merely a matter of time, in the UK at least, before the authorities conclude (wrongly, but that never stops them) that a friction folder is just another type of open razor, especially when some of these knives have shaped blades resembling those of a razor and ban all FF's too. Then it's just a step to trying to ban large choils in Spyderco slipits or other custom slipjoints as a way of securing the blade while in use, and we'll be left with the old fashioned schoolboy penknife with no safeguard for hands and fingers, and there's little enough now. knife makers showing their open razors in this fashion are cutting their own throats businesswise, and ours too safety-wise

Sorry if my first post back makes me sound like Jeremiah, but I'm trying to think ahead so we can keep what we've still got.

God bless,

Santiago
Old 10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Skilled

Governments are stupid all over. Knives never have and never will be more than a tool not a weapon. you can sharpen a fork and use it for a weapon doesn't make it one though(don't call a razor a cut throat it is just a tool also)banning a razor is stupid, ignorant and just plain retarded

Austin

Last edited by racjarrett88; 10-04-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:53 PM

concerns

Governments aren't stupid, they just look after themselves, and if that means banning this and banning that, then they will, 'cause they don't live in the same world as the rest of us. All they want it votes to keep- them in a job, and if that means being absurdly over the top politically correct, then they'll do it to stay in power.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

Politicians in my view are power hungry whores. Many give up any principles they once had for votes and power. They will leave the common man to fend for himself as long as they are protected. They seem to forget who put them in office in the first place. Government has one role and that is to grow government. Just remember, the holocaust, Stalin's purges and the killing fields were all government programs. Governments do not like to have their power threatened. They behave as if they are acting in the best interests of the people. Oh, it's for public safety, or the children, or blah, blah, blah... It's actually for the dirty crapbag politician that's scared of his own people. I'd start carrying a 3 pound sledgehammer instead of a little pocketknife...

Sorry for the rant guys...

Last edited by PsychoDawg; 10-04-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, blades, common, design, edc, edge, first post, folder, forge, knife, knives, made, make, pocket, simple, spyderco