MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Steel Addict

Warps

So I have three gift knives left to make before the wedding in a week and a half. Switched back to full tang since these are faster for me to complete with the tools I have. Got the blanks shaped and HT'd before grinding. And of course thes are the first blades I've had warp on me. It's not bad, but the warp in the tang would make the scales not sit flat. Figures that this would happen when I'm on a time crunch. I have the first one in the vice now trying to fix it. And yes, I put 3 1/4" pins in the vice, 2 on one side and one on the other, and I heated the blade to its tempering heat of 400degrees. I hope this works lol
Old 09-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That method can work but probably not in a vise unless you can keep the whole vise heated to 400 F for 5 or 6 hours. It will take at least that long for that low temp to be effective. It will require you to tighten up the vise every couple of hours to gradually bend the tang against the warp. And, you'll probably need larger pins to get enough bend to counteract the warp.

If the warp is only in the tang then a better solution would be to put the blade in water with the tang exposed. Heat the tang with a torch until it gets soft enough to bend. This could even be done with the vise and rods attached if you don't mind risking the vise to over heating.

Whichever way you do it, it isn't likely that you will get all three blades perfectly straight. You will need to grind the tang straight afterwards. Maybe grinding a tapered tang would remove the last bit of warp.

Or, as a final option, grind the tang down to a stub tang and do a hidden tang handle. If there is any warp left after that it will be easy to correct with a torch or can probably just be ignored since it will be inside the handle. You may think it takes longer to do a stub tang but it probably will take less time than straightening the full tangs ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Skilled

I was also thinking that tapered tang would be a safer way to fix is the warp is only in the tang, and not too far bent.

Tags
back, blade, blades, blanks, degrees, easy, fixed blade, flat, full tang, grind, grinding, handle, hidden, hidden tang, knife, knives, make, pins, scales, tang, tapered tang, tools, vise