MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

Making progress...

Well, thought I'd drop in and relay my progress. I have one knife ready for heat treat. Its my second attempt. First is now in two pieces. The first was a full tang skinner. Working with a grnding wheel and a 4 x 36 craftsman belt sander. Very hard to get a decent ricasso with my sander and ended up plunging into top of knife where blade/handle meet. Despite trying to recover, it just got worse and worse.

Second is a hidden tang skinner that I plan to use whitetail horn for a handle. Sorry, no pics. Photo Bucket not very user friendly here of late. Any suggestions for posting photos?

Now looking to build a kmg clone or no weld grinder? Any kmg clone plans out there? Also wondering if I can use thick walled aluminum for build as i have access to some.

And I have 4 blade starts rough cut/Ready to grind. Want to make it thru first before I go back to them.

Will post pics as soon as I can get them to post.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Skilled

I build the chassis for mine and ordered all the accessories from Beaumont, I wish it was a variable speed but I have 3 speeds and I works very well.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

I have the No weld grinder and it works great, don't see me switching it up anytime soon. That being said I would have rather built the KMG clone, and I think aluminum would work fantastic if you have access to it. I didn't want to get all the parts machined out so I built the no weld. If you're more patient than me and don't mind a little extra cost I think it would be the stuff. Look up the eerf grinder plans.

MM
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast

Kevster, That looks awesome!!! And its my favorite color! Is it mild steel. I was looking at aluminum for less weight and cost to me.

I have access to aluminum fairly cheap and milling machines at work. BUt I'm no welder when it comes to aluminum.

Last edited by Blue EagleBum; 01-19-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue EagleBum View Post
Kevster, That looks awesome!!! And its my favorite color! Is it mild steel. I was looking at aluminum for less weight and cost to me.

I have access to aluminum fairly cheap and milling machines at work. BUt I'm no welder when it comes to aluminum.
Yeah, it's mild steel, and I have a mig so it was pretty easy to build. Unless I'm trying to remove a bunch of metal I usually run it a medium speed.

It really does work good, and it tracks good.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Skilled

Very nice!

I am interested in this as I am designing and sourcing parts for mine now. I am using HSS like your design. Are you using 1-1/2" inside the thick walled 2"? I am doing two 2" one on top of the other. The bottom one is for the tool rest attachment(s). I really like the Wilmont designs.

Unfortunately, Beaumont doesn't ship to Canada, so I ordered my wheels from a guy on eBay out of Croatia.

I have sourced a 3hp 240V 3 phase motor from an industrial table saw (Kijiji) and 3hp VFD I can feed with single phase 240V in the garage. With the pulley and drive wheel choices I should be able to go to 6000 SFM. I'll keep you posted on how things are progressing.

The blue works for me too!

Dan

Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Master

never go wrong with FORD blue

Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, BCROB. My F-150 is Blue Flame / Silver.

Tags
awesome, back, blade, build, craftsman, easy, fixed blade, full tang, grinder, handle, heat, heat treat, hidden, hidden tang, horn, knife, make, making, motor, sander, skinner, steel, tang, weld, white