MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 AM

Trackrock Announcement

For you guys in the SE (or if you don't mind a little driving). Please pay close attention to dates.

Trackrock Hammer-in
Fall Event 2013

Notice: Open to all & no admission fees
Date: Weekend of September 27th ? 28th
Directions: WWW.TRACKROCK.COM

Activities: Bladesmithing, Hawk forging, Leather Crafting, Forge Building, Anything Knife Related
Who: Anyone interested in knives, knife making, hawks, leather work, collecting, trading, etc. Watch, meet and talk with several talented bladesmiths, master leather craftsmen, collectors, etc.
Watch old discarded steel, scrap metal, wood and bone transformed into functional works of art.

General: Craftsmen from several states, finished knives on display, collections on display, etc. Family oriented event, Behave! No unsafe or reckless behavior will be tolerated.

Additional: ?Iron in the Hat? event Saturday to help fund event. Please bring usable item for this event. A chance to pick up valuable plunder - knifemaking materials, parts and pieces. Strictly voluntary, participation encouraged.

Accommodations: Full hook-up & primitive camping available (check web site), Trackrock is an excellent campground and very well maintained. Several motels near: Blairsville and Young Harris. Contact Trackrock Campground for further information at above website.

Saturday BBQ: Saturday lunch is catered on site at cost. You must RSVP by September 14th to partake in this lunch. Limited vending on site so bring your eats/drinks otherwise.

Please contact me via pm if you wish to participate, or need further information about the event.

Knife Raffle: Custom carved knife handle
donated by Grits. Proceeds go toward the
purchase of major equipment to be used
at future events. Grits (H.N.)

Attention All:
Listen folks, in the past some have RSVP'd for the BBQ lunch by just saying "I'll be there".
This is not helpful in anyway. Please be specific I need full name or names (not forum pseudonyms or nicknames) and number of those planning to eat.
No guessing anymore, there are just too many.
Thanks,
Carl Rex

Note: There is limited vending on site....coke machine & ice. You are responsible for your meals and drinks with the exeption of the Saturday lunch - you pay the cook for this.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 08-19-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Skilled

Can you explain the iron in the hat better please?

Austin

Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 PM

Austin
Basically goes like this:
Strictly a voluntary event and anyone can participate. Participants bring some item that might be of use to another knifemaker. Usually something they have in surplus or something they no longer have use for - blade steel, tools, pinning material, guard material, handle material, other useful items. Please, no junk.
Some even donate cookies, cakes, or brownies.
Tickets are sold, no limit, then as numbers are drawn and called out the holder gets to choose one item off the table ("hat") per ticket called. This proceeds until all items are selected. Usually very good plunder for most makers.
Drawing takes place after lunch on Saturday. You do have to be present to win for this event. Proceeds go toward supplies, materials and fuel used during the event.

Hope this is clear for you.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Skilled

Well i'm diabetic so the cakes are out. I'm gonna try my best to be there and try to scrounge something up. Do you live in hanging dog? I live in Robbinsville and would like to visit sometime when me and my dad are both home and learn a little about forging. I really want to learn to make cable Damascus.

Austin

Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 AM

No, just have a hideout there (that I don't seem to get to often enough). On a clear night I can see the light haze from Rbnsvlle over the mtns if I climb the ridge behind my cabin. Spend most of my time in Acworth, GA right now.

Not trying to dissuade you from trying/making damascus. However, if you have limited experience at forging/bladesmithing, I recommend putting damascus aspirations aside until you develope solid basics in forging practices, metalurgy, thermocycling, blade physics and geometry. Otherwise the damascus is just exercise without purpose. I only teach pattern-welding steel to my more experienced students.
There are several accomplished bladesmiths over toward the Asheville area. The ABS also has connections with the bladesmithing classes over at the Hayesville College (don't remember the town name at present, starts with a "C").

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 AM
Skilled

was wanting to make billets and grind out knives. Thanks for the info. I plan on attending the school in Hayesville some say

Austin

Old 09-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Skilled

any list of demos?

Austin

Old 09-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Skilled

Who all is gonna be there? Any knet members gonna be there, Speak up yall

Austin

Tags
art, blade, bone, building, carved, collecting, custom, forge, forging, hammer, handle, hawk, iron, knife, knife handle, knife making, knifemaking, knives, leather, making, materials, primitive, steel, wood