MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 05-29-2001, 08:22 AM
acs1943

one more time

Fred as soon as I looked at your shot I felt sure it would do well.
good shot good composition good light what else could you ask for.
What I like most is what you see is what you get. all this working up with software takes the photo skill out.

Old 05-29-2001, 09:51 AM
PhilL0496

"all this working up with software takes the photo skill out." acs1943

Ahhhhh, is that what you think?
Old 05-29-2001, 10:49 AM
CKDadmin

Software is what separates the "greats"! Ask Point Seven.

Actually, any really good photographer that is not learning to use it now is a dinasaur waiting to become extinct. It's only a matter of time!

Alex
Old 05-29-2001, 10:52 AM
dogman

On the contrary, professional photography is full of airbrushing, lightening, colorizing, superimposing, etc. It is the end result that is important, if the effort is fair.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:29 AM
Don Cowles

Agree. They have been dodging and burning in the darkroom for as long as they have had silver nitrate and fixer. Software does the same thing, but easier, quicker, and better.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:13 PM
R Todd

As for software taking all the skill out, I think its all a matter of perspective. To me, software enhancement can make up for those small faults in an otherwise quality photo. As stated above, this has been done in various forms nearly since photography came into being. There are people that have alot of skill in software enhancement that simply amaze me. Now, the mechanics of something like photodeluxe are fairly simple to use, however using them with skill is a totally seperate thing.

I will use Phil as an example. Not strictly photos, but virtual renderings of knives not even made yet have been created by him for various makers so they can see what a real knife will look like before they finalize any design. These virtual pics will include variations with stag, bone or micarta handles. Black blades, bead blast, satin and damascus. If we can get Phil to show us some of these photos, I think you will agree that it well qualifies as very "skillful" use of the tools at hand. His ability is far beyond my own, and he is a person that you can learn quite a bit from.

Stick around here for a while, I am sure you will see how much skill gos into ALL methods of photography, and I am sure you have plenty to share as well and I hope you choose to share your knowledge with us as well.

Old 05-29-2001, 01:02 PM
acs1943

I shot an arrow into the air it landed. exactly were I thought it would.
Old 05-29-2001, 04:01 PM
R Todd

what about an arrow?? I guess your just going to have to explain a bit more what you mean.

Old 05-29-2001, 04:39 PM
JerryO13

From my understanding Alan is on a bit of a "fishing" expedition and he pretty much caught what he expected.

Old 05-29-2001, 04:49 PM
CKDadmin

Actually, Alan shot a shotgun and got us all with one shell ... if I'm correct.

BTW - anyone see that grass in his photo this week. That's what I need here ... I hate mowing ... 5 acres!

Alex
Old 05-29-2001, 06:22 PM
Terrill Hoffman

Any photography who isn't keeping up with the latest might as well be using a 150 year old view camera with a black cloth over his head. They made some nice shots and I still use my 4x5, BUT times they are a changing. It wil be an interesting ride for any willing to hope on.
By the way Alex, Point Who?
Old 05-29-2001, 08:17 PM
CKDadmin

Terrill,

My bad ... you are right!

Alex

BTW- I've got a $1 for the man who sends me a photo of himself shooting knife photos with a black cloth over his head, like the old days! I'd love to have that as the photo board header!
Old 05-30-2001, 06:22 AM
Terrill Hoffman

I guess the truth should be known. Point Seven has a couple of great guys. They should be at the Blade Show and they have the top of the line setup. Go by and peek in. If we can't steal ideas from each other, who can we steal from? Alex, that is the first time I ever heard someone wanting me to put a bag over my head for a photo! I'll let Steve handle that request.
Old 05-30-2001, 01:40 PM
stevekorn

terrill, thank you so much, i really appreciate your generosity. is there anything else i can do for you let me know.

Tags
blade, knife, knives