MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 11-15-2007, 10:31 AM

New to the forums...

Hi guys. I'm new to the forums. My name is Dylan Fletcher. I found this place through the GCKG website.

a little background on me:

I've always been an avid outdoors fan. I love running out into the middle of the woods and making shelters and camping. I've been doing it as long as I can remember. I've lived in GA a few different times. I've moved around a lot as a kid and lived in GA (Roswell) the first time from the time I was 6 until I was 9. Then I moved to Royston, just outside Athens, and lived there until I was 12. Moved around a little more. Then came back to GA (Woodstock) when I was 14 and stayed here all through highschool and college. Then I took a job in Memphis and was there until about 6 months ago. Now I'm back in GA (Alpharetta) again. I don't plan on moving again anytime soon. I hate packing and unpacking.

I've been a motorcycle freak ever since my father bought me my first one when I was 3 years old. I've always been into guns and knives. In my family, it was very important at a very early age to be taught how to shoot and use a knife as an everyday tool.

I have a long history of designing things. When I was a teenager, I would design flash art for tattoo shops for extra cash. I also used to design knives and swords for my two welding freak friends would were great at making the stuff. I have also designed knives over the years for several people who had them made by professional knifemakers. Then I went to college and became a graphics/multimedia/web designer. I found out real quick that designing websites for companys and making graphics and marketing material wasn't near as fun as I thought it would be, but at that point, I was locked in. I took a job as a graphic designer at a huge IT staffing and solutions firm. Next thing I knew, it was several years later and I was the lead graphic designer/webmaster/government proposal manager/marketing consultant/multimedia contractor. For years and years I worked in a cubicle for between 12 and 15 hours a day. It was incredible money, but I hated every minute of being awake. After being begged by the owner of a motorcycle shop to work there and having countless breakdowns and ailments brought on by the stress of that life, I walked into my bosses office one day and told him I wouldn't be coming back anymore and I quit right then and there. Since then I've been working in the motorcycle industry. I don't really have to dimes to rub together and I live month to month at best, but my quality of life is terrific.

Ever since then, I've been thinking about things I wanted to do with my life and skills I wanted to have but never had the time to persue. One of them, right at the top of my list, is knife making. It's only natural after playing with the pointy stuff for most of my life and having designed countless knives and swords for other people, that I would want to learn how to make them myself. Thus started my journey that has brought me here. My main goal right now is trying to find a local knifemaker that doesn't mind me hanging around his shop every once in a while and asking stupid questions. lol. Right now, I have a great maker in Texas making the last knife that I have designed made by someone other than myself. Next time I design one that I want (hopefully) I will be the one making it. So anyways, here I am. I'm looking forward to all the info and discussions here. Nice to meet everybody. I'm also a regular on Bladeforums. My handle is the same over there. By the way, if you made it all the way through this post, thanks for taking the time. i know it's kinda long.

Last edited by Dylside; 11-15-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Skilled

Hi Dylan,

Welcome to the forums. Glad to hear that you have poked around the GCKG website, it's a pretty interesting place.

I'm sure several of the GCKG members will chime in later and welcome you and I'm sure that most everyone would say you'd be welcome to stop by their shops. Some of us can't really say that we have shops. It's more like a little corner where we try to do our thing. There is a great bunch of guys in the Guild and I'm sure I speak for all when I say you would be welcome to come and join in on the fun.

By the way, check out the newbies board, you will be able to pick up a lot of info there. Be sure to read the stickies in most of the boards. Many questions will be answered.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 11-15-2007, 11:55 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Welcome aboard, Dylan.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-15-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Quinn
Hi Dylan,

Welcome to the forums. Glad to hear that you have poked around the GCKG website, it's a pretty interesting place.

I'm sure several of the GCKG members will chime in later and welcome you and I'm sure that most everyone would say you'd be welcome to stop by their shops. Some of us can't really say that we have shops. It's more like a little corner where we try to do our thing. There is a great bunch of guys in the Guild and I'm sure I speak for all when I say you would be welcome to come and join in on the fun.

By the way, check out the newbies board, you will be able to pick up a lot of info there. Be sure to read the stickies in most of the boards. Many questions will be answered.

Carey
Thanks Carey. From what I understand, some of the best shops producing the best knives are "corners" in someones house or garage. I just have this horrible problem retaining knowledge I read and I read slow. It's always easier for me to see things happen. I'm reading though. Soaking up as much as I can.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Skilled

That's a good way to start. You might also check with Center Cross Videos (I think that's right). Good people and good videos if you prefer watching.

Carey

Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Skilled

Both the Knife Network forum and that other forum are good places to start geting the information you need. There are some good videos and books out there that cover a lot of the basics. It doesn't really take a big shop to produce a great knife, it just takes a little knowledge and a lot of desire. Check out the Georgia Guild site for announcements about things going on in Georgia, visit a good bookstore and check out some of the "how to" books like Wayne Goddard's "$50.00 Knife Shop" and get started. The search feature on this forum works great, use it often to answer questions. If you can't find it, post it and someone will be along shortly to give you an answer. Good luck and hope to see you around the forums and Georgia Guild.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:10 PM

Wecome to the GCKG Forum Dylan. Glad you're interested in knives and knifemaking. I, too, spent most of my life in the woods. Still try to be out there as much as life will let. No longer a hunter of game other than the occasional bag of tree rats (it's an addiction) ..... not the TR's, but real traditional Brunswick Stew!
As Carey has said, most of us work out of a hard fought for and stubbornly defended corner. You didn't mention if your interest is in stock removal or smithing. I forge all my blades (got bored with grinding). Trying to convert everyone and making some headway.
This is a tough time of the year for me to find spare time for visitors - Christmas rush and all the family stuff, but you are welcome to come over sometime and try a bit of steel smashing. Warning! Strongly addictive activity!
I'd also like to extend to you an invitation to visit one of our Guild meetings. Great way to meet and talk with some of the best knifemaking talent in the south. We have a great time and you are welcome to come check us out. The next meeting will be in late Feb. (TBA) down in Statesboro at the Twin Blades Shop.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Skilled

We are trying to tie down a date as I type. Looks like it might be early in the month of Feb, but I can't promise anything until I hear back from a couple of Masters doing the demonstrations. Keep checking back, all the information will be posted as soon as I can get it firmed up. Dylan, all I can promise is that if you can make it down to Statesboro for the meeting you will get to meet some of the best people in the knifemaking business today and you will be welcome. We always have a good time and there is plenty of free information floating around. There will be some good food too.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 AM

That sounds great guys. I'll definitely make it to the meeting.

Right now, Just to get started, I was leaning towards the stock removal technique. At the moment, the apartments I live in (shopping for a house next summer) are cool with me doing a lot of grinding during the daytime in my garage. I warned them before I moved in that I work on my motorcycles a lot and it can get kinda loud in there. I doubt they would let me have a forge though. So until I get a house, I think the stock removal will be the way to go for me.

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and all the encouragement guys. God knows not everyone looks at you with high hopes when you say "I really want to make knives." It's nice to talk to other people with the same passion. Makes it a lot easier to hold onto the dream.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Skilled

Dylside,

Dreams can sometimes be fragile things especially when they're young. Guard yours jealously and be wary of people with big feet. Feed it regularly and it will grow and prosper.

Carey

Old 11-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Add my welcome to the group. Nothing wrong with stock removal, motorcycle riding knifemakers--John was one

You won't find a greater group of folks willing to teach you what you want to know than the guys of the GCKG. Along with the "teaching" meetings we have 4 times a year, our president, Carl Rechsteiner, and the owners of TrackRock campgrounds in Blairsville hosts a hammer-in for anyone interested in knives. Even if you aren't ready to forge, nothing beats a road trip to the north Georgia mountains.

If you have e-mail, forward you address to me and I will see that you get added to our notify list.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Skilled

Dylside,

I ran across this link: http://hossom.com/tutorial/jonesy/ and thought you might be interested. Since you're thinking about stock removal, this is a way to build up some serious sweat equity.

Have fun,
Carey

Old 11-20-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Quinn
Dylside,

I ran across this link: http://hossom.com/tutorial/jonesy/ and thought you might be interested. Since you're thinking about stock removal, this is a way to build up some serious sweat equity.

Have fun,
Carey
That is a great tutorial. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Skilled

See,

I told you we were friendly and helpful,

Old 11-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
The finishing touch on any knife-------is the sheath! My shop is open to all who care to visit, Dylan, and you would be no exception. Hope to see you in February or earlier if you can make it to my shop in Blairsville---about 90 miles north of you-----Sandy

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives