MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Skilled

Im a cold morning Tai Goo convert :D

so its a damp and chilly morning here, two bad charcoal sessions in a row with minimal yeilds, 1rst was a air issue ie a overburn, second was a darn rainstorm that early evening which cooled the barrel, ie underburn. yeilded alot of unbrned wood. so there I am standing in my forge mumbling, when i decide to light a woodfire in the forge and close the door to warm the forge up a tad and get the flue heated to draw well. Then I thought back to Tai saying how he makes charcoal as he goes for rough shaping and whatnot. I figured what the heck, Ive got the ventillation no problem. Lo and behold! HOT METAL HAPPY METALBENDER!
lol.
charcoal? i dont need no stinkin charcoal! (well for rough shaping and black work anyway heh)
Its offical, Ive converted to the Order of the Burn Wood Brotherhood
Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 AM

Wood is great on those cold mornings!

About the only time I start with charcoal is for pattern welding. The only drawback to starting with wood and converting as you go, is that it's harder to maintain a welding heat for extended periods. You can get a few welding heats in a row with wood, but it doesn't convert quite fast enough for lengthy pattern welding sessions. You can control, to some degree, the rate that the wood converts by the size of the chunks. If you made a special forge for pattern welding with wood, it might work fine.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Skilled

sounds great! ill look at that as a long term goal, the Creator has decided that I havn't suffered enough yet and has not blessed me with the ability to forge weld. charcal, coke, yellow heat, white heat, sparky heat, any combination possible of the previous,scarfed joints. lap joins. faggot welds, thin stock thick stock not so thick stock, mild, high carbon, wrought, sand, borax, steel filings, any combination of the previous used in conjunction with the prevous combinations, nope no can do.
LOL
problem is although my hearts in the right place ie Ill keep at something and try to learn as I go, I REALLY need to find someone who can forge weld and is willing to show me.

anyway I digress, gonna go grab a bite and charge the camera batteries, Im really stoked about today's piece and wanna show some photos in progress.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Sounds like wood will do you good!

I like it. It's usually free. There's lots of dead woods around the lane, and I've been going around to the construction sites and harvesting their scrap lumber. There?s tons of it around here! The only thing is, you need some kind of chain saw to cut it up. After that I rive it into right sized chunks with my shop knife or a 'hawk.

I've been using a cheap electric chain saw.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Skilled

Id hug the owner of the lumbermill a mile down the road if I didnt think hed take it wrong lol.
LOVE that cheap lumber and free end cuttings
Old 03-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Steel Addict

Another good source is pallets. Many are hardwood. Free almost everywhere.
I've found some great handle material in them, too. Construction sites are golden. I get friends and customers when I ask for scrap wood and explain why.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Steel Addict

charcoal makin'

I don't know if any of you heat with wood, but I do, and for a while I was just letting wood turn to charcoal in my wood stove while it heated my house while I was doing something else. After the appropriate amount of time I'd open the damper, open the door, grab my tongs and an old paint can ( 1 gallon type) fill it with big hot hardwood charcoal, put the lid on semitight, and take it outside to smother and cool off. Then empty the cold can in the AM. Do that at least 1 time a day for a while and you'll have lots of charcoal with no big charcoal making projects. I'm all stocked up on charcoal, and still have to make a charcoal forge. One thing at a time.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Skilled

bleh, their heathens Tai! WELL MEANING heathens but heathens none the less! ( just kiddin hehe)

heads out to the forge to light his WOODFIRE
Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast

COol! Jake Powning does some mix of gas(weed burner) and wood/charcoal mix forging, some pattern welding too:

http://www.powning.com/jake/forge/forge.shtml

Tags
forge, forging, knife