MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Cool 'Anything Goes' KITH

Last Sunday in the chat room we decided to do a new KITH (that's Knife In The Hat for the new guys). The new guys, first time knife makers, are especially invited but the KITH is open to any who care to join. If you don't have time to make a knife right now you can submit one you already have on hand if it meets the criteria listed below.

Here's what happens: Everyone who wants to participate makes a knife. You can make any kind of knife you want to make, doesn't have to be fancy, just do your best. Send me a picture of your knife - a clear, focused picture please! All the pictures will be posted together on a page on my website. After April 30 when the KITH ends I will email a ballot to each person who sent a picture and YOU will rate each knife on the webpage. I will use the results of the ratings to rank each knife. Then I will send an email to each person containing the email address of the knife that was rated nearest to yours. You will send your knife to that person and he will send his knife to you (yes, you get to keep the knife).

There are very few rules but here are some guidelines:

Only one real rule: the steel used must be a known high quality blade steel - no salvaged steel, no railroad spikes.

Simple straight forward designs are recommended. Anyone of any skill level may participate but since there is no prize except for someone else's knife and that someone is probably a beginner, all knives should be made with modestly priced materials but also with the best craftsmanship of which you are capable.

A knife with a blade not to exceed 8", shorter is perfectly acceptable. This is mostly to allow for the possibility of kitchen knives.

Any kind of knife is allowed.

Carbon steel or stainless is suggested. You can use damascus if you wish but the chances of trading for a truly equivalent knife is not very good.

Any handle material. Again, don't get carried away with expensive materials as you probably won't receive an equivalent knife.

If the knife is a type that would normally have a sheath then a sheath should be provided and pictured with the knife. If a sheath is not submitted with a knife that needs a sheath the other entrants will probably give your entry a lower score.

Any level of decoration is permitted (filework, hamon, inlay, etc) but not required.

Send your pictures, when the knife is completed, to knives@rayrogers.com

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Skilled

IN, First! Do I get a prize? Jk should be fun.

Ray, while I like the method of selecting where knives go, the part about obscuring makers marks is going to take one part of the KITH away that alot of people may like. The purpose of Obscuring the mark is to hide who made the knives so that Judging is impartial. Makes sense, But, one of the benefits and fun parts of the KITH is posting progress pics and getting input and help as the builds go along. If that happens, there will be no point to obscuring marks cause everyone will know who's is who's right? Keeping the knifemaker anonymous will be at a cost. Any thoughts on this?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Master

And are we requiring the knives to be signed?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Well, I don't think we should require the knives to be signed since a first timer might have have the resources available to do it. That said, all makers are certainly encouraged to sign their blades if possible. Heck, if nothing else is available, sign it with a Sharpie!

I guess you're right about the obscuring part Rick so we'll scratch that....

Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Master

That's a good point Ricky. Everyone will probably recognize me knife anyhow.

I personally will be very disappointed if I got an unsigned knife. I'd like to be able to keep the knife for many years and still know who made it.

Like I mentioned before, its easy to find a Jeweler that will engrave a name on the blade for $5-10
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
That's a good point Ricky. Everyone will probably recognize me knife anyhow.

I personally will be very disappointed if I got an unsigned knife. I'd like to be able to keep the knife for many years and still know who made it.

Like I mentioned before, its easy to find a Jeweler that will engrave a name on the blade for $5-10
It should be signed in some way, if it has to be a sharpie on the back of the sheath so be it. But If I didn't already have an etcher and stencil, then I would be hard pressed to find another way to get it signed. A jeweler that would do it is probably at least 3 hours away and maybe 5 hours. Not everyone lives in the city.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Steel Addict

can be done with nailpolish, scribe and a battery charger
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Steel Addict

Vibro-graver- a vibrating engraver for marking, metals included. I never used one hardened steel, but they are cheap. ...Teddy
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Steel Addict

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM

You'd need a really steady hand for one of those vibro things on hard steel. I have one that I use to mark parts with but for a finished knife I think I'd feel safer with a Sharpie.......

Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Steel Addict

Hey Eli! I think I found the knives you're going to get for this contest!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Wow, Marc! Looks like Eli is really going to be trading up this time.....

Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Skilled

I thought we agreed he couldn't have cardboard? He will end up with a papercut for sure.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Master

I was just on facebook talking about how sandpaper cuts are so much worse than the regular variety. Its not something to joke about!

Do I get both knives?!!?!!?!? SWEET!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Steel Addict

I *might* be joining in this KITH it really depends on what the weather out here does to me and if I can find some steel that's not 'scrap'. I could do a folder for it from some O-1 I've got laying around.... Not sure.

I love making stuff from leaf springs, it's my preferred material.

Tags
angle, back, battery, bee, blade, bowie, etch, file, files, folder, how to, knife, knife making, knives, make, making, movie, o-1, pattern, post, scales, sheath, simple, steel, tiny