MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a monthly knife making challenge?
Yes 16 53.33%
Nope 1 3.33%
Maybe/not sure 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Master

So a judged KITH?

Instead of specifying a specific steel, I'd stick with a group based on HT. Oil/water quench, or air quench. The reason is because there are some things you can do with oil/water quench that you cannot with air. After that if someone wants to use 1084 and another use W2 I don't really care.

Also, I forsee sour grapes if its judged and then the knives are randomly distrubuted. Not really fair if someone makes the 1st place knife but then receives the last place knife.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Master

The more I read this the more I think a standard KITH may be a better plan. Just my thoughts. It just seems to give to many reasons for an unpleasant experience.

Eli, that's unfortunate that you didn't have a good experience with the KITH.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Skilled

I have some thoughts, but I need a nap before I go to work. I'll come back and write up a detailed note this evening.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Master

Eh you live and you learn. I'm fine with a contest via photos. Makers get to keep their knives so its less of a drag on the business end. Perhaps make a list of check points that need to be photographed to verify it was actually made for the contest. For example, pic of: bar stock, profile, pre HT, post HT, final grind, rough handles, final handles, final knife; all pics taken of obverse side. Maybe 10 photos in all (I think thats the limit for one post anyways, and then we can have a dedicated thread at the end for presentations.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Steel Addict

Maybe I am reading this wrong. I kind of thought what Imakethings was suggesting was more like a tutorial that's why all the same supplies so newbes are all doing each knife part one step at a time. This could be done w/ various instructors. Like one for picking out metal, then grinding, etc. etc. until the knife is done. each step could have a certain time frame w/ group discussions on problems or tech. A KITH sounds really fun I have read about many of them on here. But it is more of a chance to challenge yourself to do better to show off more or less.
So the 1st is a step by step learning process while the other u already need some back ground. I would be interested in doing both.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Skilled

ok, Here we go. These are my thoughts. They are only my opinion, so please take it as such. Ideas really, just trying to throw some thoughts out there.

First and foremost, a KITH should include all makers. No one should be left out. I go into them with a mindset of learning new skills and making a new friend. As long as the maker did his best, I'm happy with anything I receive.

As for the contest part, I would like to see some themes that pushes our abilities and allows us to learn.

Each contest could have a different skill set

Example:
a tapered tang
mirror polish
file work
home made mosaic pins
home made Micarta
domed pins
hamons
making of one with basic hand tools

That's the sort of thing, that was thinking. We will all learn and grow.

Like I said, count me in. I'm here for the friendship and the knowledge. As far as I'm concerned, we don't even have to exchange knives, just build, learn and communicate.

Last edited by Anthony Chaney; 11-15-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Steel Addict

There are a couple themes/challenges I'd really like to do, not planning on either on right yet.
1. make an EDC with no pointy end.
2. Do some research and give us your take on a knife that was popular around 200-800AD in Europe.

Eli, I think the easiest way to resolve this is to make the trading at the end optional. That would remove your concern I think.

Now I think that this is straying a bit afield from my original intent, which was to level the playing field for the contest as much as possible by putting together a set of uniform materials, for those who wish to join in.
Now I can honestly say that if you want to use steel and materials from a different supplier, it's a moot point, so long as what you get is comparable to the materials list, it's all good.

In terms of proving that you were indeed the one that made the knife? Meh, not a big problem as far as I can tell. After all there isn't anything that really is going out as a prize here.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Steel Addict

I like Eli's idea of a photo documented contest. There doesn't need to be a prize involved as far as I'm concerned. The idea of entering a contest has some meaning that you will do your best work whether you are completely new with a first knife or a full-time maker. I think documenting each step of production will keep everyone engaged in the task and prompt questions and feedback so that we could all learn or mentor. In the end, if a maker cannot complete the knife on time, then he/she has contributed something to the contest and no one is left empty-handed as can happen in a KITH. This would also keep from rushing to finish the knife and get it out the door to it's new owner.

If the guidelines and parameters of the contest are kept simple, then more makers are likely to enter and complete. Also, if we are not expected to give the knife to someone, then a beginner may not be so intimidated. At the end of it all, then perhaps we can add a KITH option.

As an example, if we follow Imakethings parameters for theme and materials, then I will make a knife that I have not made before and I will be happy to participate regardless of how it ends up looking as I am very new to knife making. If I am happy with the end result, then I would consider adding it to a KITH.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Master

I'm a pretty serious dude and I have to remind myself constantly to lighten up. At first I wanted to respond to reinforce my previous position, but the truth is you CAN'T level the playing field. Some makers are always going to have more experience/talent. So my advice is to have fun with it. Maybe go with the photologs without making it a contest.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
I'm a pretty serious dude and I have to remind myself constantly to lighten up. At first I wanted to respond to reinforce my previous position, but the truth is you CAN'T level the playing field. Some makers are always going to have more experience/talent. So my advice is to have fun with it. Maybe go with the photologs without making it a contest.
Great Post Eli. I like your idea about the photolog. We've always been a sharing community starting back in the days of CKD and I'd like to see traffic here increase. We need m?re WIP's with lots of pictures. I dabble in just about everything from scrap steel to kit knives. I like the comradely. I like to see what others are doing and how they do it. I think a group build would certainly be beneficial to us all.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Steel Addict

Alright, I'm settled on the basic rules etc.
Here's the layout:
Target completion time, 3 months.
Materials restriction, no stainless, Damascus, or pattern welding.
75% Synthetic handle, full tang.
Photo blog suggested, but not required.

Theme: TBD

So lets have some ideas for themes, I've got about a half dozen, but I want more. I'm comfortable with the theme adding in additional restrictions and complications to the build, but nothing too nuts.

Last edited by Imakethings; 11-16-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Master

What does 75% synthetic mean?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Steel Addict

75% of the handle must be synthetic, meaning micarta, plastic, rubber, etc.
25% can be anything natural (wood, bone, ivory, etc)

I'm leaving this as such to allow for anything freaky you can dream up, if you want to do full synthetic by all means do so, but if you want to do something odd.....
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Master

What if you want to do all natural?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Steel Addict

Maybe on the next contest we'll do a full natural handle, but I want to see what people can do with synthetic materials.

Tags
awesome, axe, back, bee, blade, build, building, damascus, easy, fire, forge, hobby, kit, kit knife, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, material, materials, package, sheath, steel, stock removal