MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1965 View Post
After Looking at the options I have.
If I buy one it will Probably be a Grizzly.

Though that has become my second choice. I have been looking a lot at the DIY 2x72's on the net and have conclude, that I should be able to build one. I'm designing it right now. I have 10 or so days till i get my return so. What else am I going to do....LOL

I want to thank everyone for your contributions.

I'll let you all know how things go and what I ultimately decide.
I am thinking of going with a DC Motor because I already have a Variable Drive for one. I'm pretty sure it's good up to 1.5hp
are there any Cons on using DC motors?
I have no DC experience but I just wanted to put in a word for Tracy at http://www.usaknifemaker.com/ for grinder parts/plan. The 2x72" I just built was made using parts from him and his plans. I had to heavily modify the plans because where I'm currently residing they don't carry the same sizes...and everything still worked. Some of the parts he carries are made by the same guy that makes the KMG....and they are very good quality. I was impressed with the small wheel attachment I got from them....very tight clearances.

My next grinder will probably be a KMG but if I had to get another grinder in the $400 range I would build one. I used my Grizzly for 4yrs as a fulltime knifemaker and it worked fine for me....but the one I built is more versatile. Adjustable speeds, easily adjustable wheel sizes, wheel sizes down to 1/2", etc. The Grizzly does fine but can't do tasks like grinding finger grooves efficiently or grinding materials that need low speed (the Grizzly moves fast).
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Skilled

I would take the 400 and buy :
Plans for the nwg. 20.00
1.5 hp motor 150.00
8 inch contact wheel from sunray. 100.00
3 step pulley system ?
Tracking wheel 40.00?
drive wheel. 40.00?

These are the main parts to a grinder . You will need the pillow block bearings too.
Get this st8uff and start scrounging steel to make your grinder. I wouldnt mess with bolting it. YOu will have too much money in hardware. Just get the stuff together and take it to a weld shop and they will weld it in 10 minutes.

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Check out my website.
www.crystalcreekknives.com
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Just get started making knifes. Files and sandpaper with a few power tools will get you going.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankmaker View Post
I would take the 400 and buy :
Plans for the nwg. 20.00
1.5 hp motor 150.00
8 inch contact wheel from sunray. 100.00
3 step pulley system ?
Tracking wheel 40.00?
drive wheel. 40.00?

These are the main parts to a grinder . You will need the pillow block bearings too.
Get this st8uff and start scrounging steel to make your grinder. I wouldnt mess with bolting it. YOu will have too much money in hardware. Just get the stuff together and take it to a weld shop and they will weld it in 10 minutes.
The thing with the NWG is that it's the little stuff that adds up quickly. If you're going to build it, might as well build it with the better quality materials to avoid some of the little headaches with alignment, tracking, etc.

By the time you invest in the better quality wheels (drive wheel, idler, and either 2 2-inch wheels or a Sunray 8 inch), better quality pillow-blocks, better balanced 3-step pulleys, etc., then you're most of the way to buying a Coote. I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but for a beginner or hobby maker, it's something to be considered.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

There are cons to using DC motors but don't let that stop you, especially since you already have a controller. The biggest drawback to DC motors is the seriously reduced of torque at slow speeds. However, my grinder (other than my Grizzly)has a 1 hp DC motor and I've been using it for about 12 years, maybe a little more. Make sure the drive wheel that is attached to the motor is as small as you can reasonable make it and it should be fine.

The other drawback is that the motors aren't cheap. Maybe you can find one on eBay for a good price but you'll need to get a real TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor like the Leeson (which is just about the only DC motor we see on belt sanders). Do not waste your time and money trying to get one of those little treadmill motors to do the job. If it doesn't cost a couple hundred dollars and say Leeson on it you should probably pass it up.

Of course, you don't have to use a DC motor just because you have a controller for one although a variable speed set up is definitely the Holy Grail of grinder motors. You can buy a 1 or 2 hp A/C motor (still TEFC though) for a lot less money. Then, a step pukkey set up can provide some speed changes and all the torque you would ever need ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Steel Addict

I do not have 240v access. One of the main reasons I was thinking of the DC setup. But Price is killing me.

I was wondering about the treadmill motors. Thanks for commenting on those. Would Baldor be ok. I know Leeson and Baldor were the 2 main brands of motor we had used at a previous job. But they were all 240v. I salvage some, but again no 240 access prevents their usage. I have one gleam of hope. It's a Silverson Emulsifier(mixer) that I salvaged. (man i'm a packrat) It has a variable speed on it and it plugs in to 120v

If the DC thing becomes to much of a hassle. Step Pulleys will take over.

Like I was saying, i salvaged some stuff from my old Job. I have a bucket full of good PB bearings(Dodge and Fafnir). Just not sure if they are for the right size..lol I think they are mainly 1". I'll have to check.

I have so far, a List of about $100.00 in steel.

I am buying the tracking wheel from Beaumont. And probably 2x2 Idlers for my platen
And then buying the 8" Idler and 4" drive wheels from Sunray. Would using the 8" as the contact wheel be a bad Idea?

I have access to a welder also. I have a Lincoln 140hd plus if I have to a friends pops has a good stick setup

Last edited by squigly1965; 02-08-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Leeson and Baldor are both available in 129v, mine is 129v. Most os that depends on the controller you have, I think mine will handle either 120 or 240. If you have access to some weird motor that matches your controller then give it a try if you want to. It might not have enough power for the application or it might give out but if that happens maybe it will last long enough for you to save the money for a better motor. Just be careful with that approach because it can lead to what Ed was talking about, namely putting money on top of money and still not having anything worth having.

8" or 10" is mostly determined by the shape of your grinder and/or the size of the blades you want to hollow grind. I use the 10" mostly but I have smaller wheel too. If you build your grinder well you can add other wheels later as you need them (if ever) ....

Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Steel Addict

The plans on this site
http://blindhogg.com/eerfgrinder.html
are what my base design are from. I really like the compactness of it
Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Leeson and Baldor are both available in 129v, mine is 129v. Most os that depends on the controller you have, I think mine will handle either 120 or 240. If you have access to some weird motor that matches your controller then give it a try if you want to. It might not have enough power for the application or it might give out but if that happens maybe it will last long enough for you to save the money for a better motor. Just be careful with that approach because it can lead to what Ed was talking about, namely putting money on top of money and still not having anything worth having.

8" or 10" is mostly determined by the shape of your grinder and/or the size of the blades you want to hollow grind. I use the 10" mostly but I have smaller wheel too. If you build your grinder well you can add other wheels later as you need them (if ever) ....

The reason I was asking is you mentioned Leeson on the DC motors. I found a reasonable priced Baldor DC motor is why I had asked.
All the motors I have are Industrial motors 240-480

I understand What you are saying about the motor. As for quality Silverson is a high end company, so I'm not to worried there. This mixer has a the Variable built in to it. If I remember right it's a 1 HP but i can't be sure. I found On Silverson's site that the smallest one they make is a 1hp though the one I have is older. Good news is, It showed the motor as a TEFC . Either way I'll find out tomorrow for sure.

As for the size of the wheel wasn't my concern as muh as the materials(polyurethane). Worried about the low melting point
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM

I wouldn't worry about the composition of the Sunray wheels, they have been getting excellent reviews from those who have tried them. Just be sure they know you want to use it as the contact wheel on a knife grinder so that they will make it in the correct durometer (hardness) ....

Old 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Steel Addict

that's good to know

actually now that I think about it I'm pretty sure that Silverson Is a 3/4 h.p.. Ah to hell with it I'm going over there right now and checking. I'll check some steel I have there as well. See if I can cut my cost some more

Question on a platen. What kind should I go with? Ceramic, Glass, or Hardened steel?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Skilled

Just to add to what Ed said and my firm belief is to wait if you must and get a good 2 X 72 grinder. My first was a Wilton, used it a lot. I now have a stable full of Burr Kings and you will not look back if you get a good one to begin with. There are used ones out there. Folks who started, quit and more that may have been inherited. Buy a solid name grinder and you will never be sorry. Otherwise is otherwise for sure.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Steel Addict

I've stated that I plan to build mine. Or possibly buy a Grizzly. Again I have $100's not $1000's.
So i ask why do people drive the cars they do. What's the point of buying a Mustang when Saleen is where it's at. why buy an Explorer or Yukon when you know you should just save and buy a Land Rover. Camaro lol Audi R8. I wish I could afford A KMG, Burr KIng, Bader Wilton, or whatever. But the reality is i can't. I understand your concerns. But I can't one afford or two justify spend that amount of money with my other financial obligations.
So with that said Onward I go

Well I did quick Inventory of the stuff I was able to salvage from my last job. I actually have quite a bit of the steel needed. The PB Bearings I have are 3/4" so thats good. I checked the motors again just to see if I missed one. But they are all 208-220/440 or the likes

I have pix of the DC Variable control and a "Lightnin" mixer it runs 120v and has a speed control. But the motor is only 1/15 hp. I know thats too weak. But maybe I can figure a way to use the control. IDK probably not. I'll post the pix in a while

As for the Silverson. Well It was not what I thought it was. The motor is not a TEFC. It is very open. It does have a cover, but it reminds me of a record player motor if any have seen one. So that was a bust.

Okay so what I have is steel mainly. If I can find a cheap DC motor then that will be cool. But things are looking more like a pulley setup. which is fine with me. I'm going to do my design work with this in mind.

I'm sure this has been brought up but I did a search and didn't find anything on it. Can a Variable speed router be used as a motor. I couldn't tell if they have an open enclosure or not

One other thing the Optional 10" Grizzly drive wheel can that be used for a contact wheel on a home brew grinder?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

I think that you are doing some thing great. Get lots of pics. Keep us updated.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Arccher Moon

I have made 2 and two 1/2 knives. Well one is more like a 1/4 knife. Meaning I have 2 WIP knives one just needs scales put on finished. The other I just hammered out the other night. Still lots to be done there. I think it may have a crack in it kinda why I haven't been working it. i dont want to find the crack for sure.
I have been using files and a 3x18 belt sander I lock down in my vise.
Which reminds me I need to put another coat of Teak Oil on one of them.

Tags
blade, forge, hobby, knife, knife making, knives, supply