MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Master

I started out with a grizz used it for over 4 years made a lot of fine knives withit including folders. It died and the motor burned out, but not due to dust it was a short in the on/off switch.
Curtis Wilson

Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Steel Addict

I own a KMG, but I've thought about buying a Grizzly just to use for rough profiling and buffing handles. A lot of people seem to like them.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Skilled

Like I said earlier.......People still making comments on the Grizzly Grinder and have never owned one???

Frank

Old 12-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Master

One thing that I will say about a Grizz is that it will definately help you in learning how to grind properly. Being that it is a full speed grinder you will learn about grinding properly which will only help later when you get a veriable speed grinder. Learning how to grind on a grizz made my grinds be more precise as I learned.
CUrtis Wilson

Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yeah, Frank, but it's not possible for everyone to have every experience personally but we still recognize the value of 'book learning' . Especially on a subject like the Griz that has been discussed so much just passing on what you have read about it is still pertinent even without personal experience. It's probably best if we qualify whatever we're saying with the caveat that this is something we read rather than something experience has taught us but I say give them all the info you have or think you have and let them be the judge of whether or not it sounds useful to them ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Skilled

Ray...I agree with what you say,but what if a person has read that a certain tool is bad or good ,should we believe it?? If that person had the same tool and actually owned it,it would be more believable, because he actually experienced using that tool and not just read about it. ...

Frank

Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Master

From my experience around here most people welcome advise whether gained personally or learned through reading. Sure, personally gained experience may be better in some instances but many times I find a summary of multiple reviews to be just as valuable. For that reason companies like consumer reports exist.

As far as the Grizzly goes, I can tell you form personal experiences that it's 10 times as good as a 4x36. I can also tell you from reading reviews from people I trust that it ain't no KMG.
-dr

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Skilled

Hey Dave.....Being you put it that way...I will have to agree with you. Maybe I get a little sensitive when people talk about the ole ugly Grizzly...

Frank

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Steel Addict

ok so now the problem is getting a grizzly to canada, they wont ship to canada. i could get it shipped to a freind in Maine and then have them ship it to me or i could get ups to pick it up. if i ship it to my friend will usps ship a package that heavy? or will i have to ups or fed ex it here? if usps will ship it i can get it labeled as a gift from my freind and save the dutie fee. does any one have any suggestions for me? or diff. ideas? thanks for all the help
Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 AM

USPS will ship up to 70 pounds, UPS will handle up to 150 pounds. You might try a private shipping company. Freight moves across the border all the time. Private companies are always looking for additional freight to fill out their trucks and make the trip more profitable. Have your friend in Maine look in the phone book for freight companies, then find out which ones go to Canada. You might try the same from your end, it might even be cheaper if you can find a Canadian freight hauler that goes into the USA. Usually, the cost for this type of hauling is very reasonable ...

Old 12-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Steel Addict

well its to heavy for usps so ill look for a freight company or ups. what do you think is cheaper? which one more reliable? thanks for all the help.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Guru

I got a griz in 1996 or so.

Cons:
The shaft/pole that holds the platen and upper wheel had to be turned on a freind's lathe to fit down into the holder.
It has never tracked perfect.
It's one of the heaviest items in my shop.
The wheel it came with wasn't even close to being smooth/flat/even.
Took a LOT of tweaking to get set up.
On/off switch sucks. last about 6 months to a year. Easy to open up and bend/sand contacts to fix instead of buying new one.
Platen material sucks. Wears quickly and unevenly. I replaced with pyroceram and it works great now, though.
One speed....fast.

Pros:
Cost
Cost
Did I mention cost?
I still have it, and use it daily.
Bearings squeal in cold weather now, but it took 12+ years in a semi-enclosed shop whose dust content would most likely rival Ray's to do so! Oil shuts it up for a while.
Only a 1hp motor, but it runs as strong as some of my 1.5 motors.
Once you learn your grinder's "personality", it's a great machine.
Newer models don't seem to have any of the quality control problems I had with my older model.
You can get all sorts of attachments for the other side of the drive shaft.
You can do all sorts of slack belt grinding or rigid platen or hollow grinding depending where you use the belt. Just takes a bit of practice.

To do over again...I would still get it as a starter. I've been meaning to replace it for ten years now, but haven't got around to building the new grinder yet.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Skilled

.....who started this???...again

Decide what your true goals are and plow ahead accordingly. Carefully read the quotation below....it says it all.

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Steel Addict

its ordered and on its way. thanks everyone for helping me make an informed decision. in a couple weeks i can put my files away and make sparks.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 AM

How did you finally arrange for shipping to Canada? Let us know how it all turns out for you when you get your Griz ...

Tags
forge, knife, knives