MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Steel Addict

Paragon or Evenheat

Hello all.

The time has come to purchase a heat treat oven. I am torn between the Paragon 14" model and the Even heat in the same size bracket.

From what I have read I like that the Paragon will run off 120v, which is in the shop. But I also like the wider chamber of the Evenheat , it would be easier to run a batch at a time in that one.

Does anyone have experience with both and have a preference, or bad experiences with either ?

I have read everything the search feature will pull up, just wondering if there is any new info available.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Steel Addict

Can't go wrong

Mike, I chose Paragon due to voltage in my shop. I love the ease of programing and the Quality of the unit. I bought the 14 inch and have ran 3 blades at a time. I think anymore than that would be touchy. The only thing I know of that is an advantage in Evan Heat is the box size and initial cost is maybe a couple hundard less.

Good luck with making the choice: But the advantage of learning and doing it yourself
makes me think you'll be happy witch ever way you go.

After I got mine more and more other knife makers have visited and spent time togther
so we could heat treat their blades and thats been fun sharing idea's.

Jim
Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Steel Addict

I have an Evenheat. I would buy a Paragon if I had it to do again.

The Evenheat works well enough, but it is too flimsy for my taste. It came with loose screws and missing parts as well. The people there are very helpful as far as customer service, BUT I want something that doesn't need service from the time it's brand new.

John

Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Steel Addict

Evenheat is a good oven BUT the Paragon is much better quailty and will last a life time.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Guru

I think you will find that both ovens have their own advantages. I agree that the Paragon is built more heavily and probably more durable physically. I also like the style of door on it much better. That said, I prefer the controls on the Evenheat better. I think you will find that both companies stand behind there products very well.

Either way you choose to go, I would suggest spending the extra money for the digital controls. Also, if you have the availability of 220V I would go that way as well. My current oven is 14" deep and were I to do it again would get the 18" model.

Gary
Old 02-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the info guys.

I have ordered a Paragon. I am definitely a fan of "built solid" equiptment, and the fact that I will not need to run wire for a 220 circut is a big factor for me.

I am pretty sure the 14" depth will be plenty for my needs, I rarely make anything larger than about 10". Now I just need to wait for the two weeks for delivery .

Now it is back to the grinder.

see ya
Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RJ Martin
AKmik: If there is a way to get a 220V line in your shop, I would do it.

RJ Martin
Knifemaker
www.rjmartinknives.com

Tags
knife