MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 01-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Josh Blount

Drilling bolsters

Hey,
I've got a question about how you all drill your bolster material. I'll try and explain the problem I'm having that's made me ask. When I do bolsters I prefer to attach them with peened pins. I drill the tang while the blade's annealed, then when I'm ready to assemble the blade I use epoxy on one side of the bolster so I can drill through the tang holes into the bolster material. If all goes well I drill all the way through, glue the other side, then finish drilling through the entire bolster/tang assembly. When this works out, it allows me to position the bolsters equal with each other before I drill. I've been having a lot of trouble with the bolster spinning free from the tang when I start drilling. I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions to do this differently and eliminate the problem. Thanks!

Josh Blount
Old 01-22-2002, 12:13 PM
Don Cowles

Josh, take a look in the CKD tutorials for the one on fitting dovetailed bolsters. I illustrate the drillling and clamping method that works for me.

www.customknifedirectory....ameset.htm
Old 01-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Bob Warner

Hey Don,

I looked this tutorial over again and noticed the hand vise you use. I have never seen any like that but really like them. Any idea who sell them?

Old 01-22-2002, 01:03 PM
Don Cowles

Bob, it's a jeweler's hand vise. I've seen them on ebay, and jewelry supply places like Rio Grande also have them. I suppose a vise grip would work as well, but this is comfortable in the hand.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:30 AM
Josh Blount

Don,
That was a good tutorial - much better method than mine! Thanks for posting . . . I didn't even know CKD had tutorials. Thanks!

Josh
Old 01-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Geno

Josh,I use vise grips. I wouldn't use the glue if possible, at least not untill final assembly.
Also use a undersized drill for a pilot hole, then ream to size for an exact fit.
Drills, by themselves, can walk and creep. This can cause fit up problems later on. A ream makes a straight precise hole.
Slightly countersink with a 4:1 taperred rotory file by hand, and you should get a perfect peen consistantly.
To flare the head, it is better to use a hundred tiny taps vs. a couple of hard blows. Work the edge on the pin around in a circular pattern. This fills up the hole completely and stays tight. The pins vanish when dressed off smooth.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:24 AM
MIKE KOLLER

Bob,
Those hand vises can be bought through some of the knife supplies and others like MSC,ENCO, and such (not sure which ones exactly) but they go by the name of KANT TWIST and come if a varity of sizes.Vise Grips are good but I like theses much better.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:21 PM
Don Cowles

The Kant-Twist clamps are a differnt critter than the hand vise, Mike- the hand vise has adjustable parallel jaws mounted on a wooden handle. I use them to clamp a pair of pinned bolsters together while I finish the leading ends.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:25 AM
MIKE KOLLER

My bad.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Josh Blount

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the comments. I've been sick for a few days and haven't been able to get on the CKD until today. Appreciate all the suggestions - can't wait to get back in my shop and use them!

Josh Blount

Tags
blade, knife