MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Skilled

Point to Cap.

"Live so that your friends can defend you but never have to" - Arnold H. Glascow
Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm61
cross post on Blade Forums and Don Fogg's board.......shhhhhhhh....lol. Let's get a bunch of folks. So what are the "newbie" qualificatrions? I remember last year that we expanded it a bit. How about these basic rules.
1. If you currently hold any ABS stamp or are a probationary or voting member in the Guild, you are NOT a newbie.
2. If you make knives for a living, you are NOT a newbie
3. If you have been making high priced stock removal art knives for 10 years and you just decided to try your hand a forging, you are NOT a newbie even if you forge your KITH blade.

If you are still not sure about your status, let me throw out a few sure signs of newbieness.

1. If grinding plunge cuts still makes you want to go out and kick the first small dog you can find at least half of the time and the other half of the time makes you want to break out that good single malt Scotch or the Cuban cigar your brother brought back from Canada.
2. If you have recently bought any piece of of knifemaking equipment that cost more than $100 and it sat for more than 2 weeks in the box in your gargage, shed, shop or living room for those of you who are not married because you either didn't have time, didn't know how or were afraid to assemble it.
3. If more than 25% of the knives you start either make the long and painful journey to the local landfill or end up smaller than you originally planned and become your "new" EDC knife.
4. If, at your current rate of production, the 240 pounds of W2 you just bought will last you 4 years even assuming a 50% failure rate (that one is mine....lol)
5. If you are still quenching your blades in a vessel or container originally designed to cook, serve or store food in and tempering in your kitchen oven.
6. If the bottom of the ricasso on some of your knives still ends up thinner than the top after your rough grind or if the tang is thicker than the back of the ricasso on your forged knife when you get ready to rough grind.
7. If it still takes you more than one try to get the swedges on a clip even.
8. If you still have the "2 Inch Disease" or have to hand sand for days to get grinder divets out of your blades.
9. You still occasionally have to go back an thin an edge bevel out a bit more by hand sanding AFTER you attempted to sharpen the knife the first time.

and the BIG indicator that you are a REAL LIVE NEWBIE.......
10. The only people who currently own your knives are either related to you by blood or marriage, work with you, hunt with you annually or have known you since high school and don't want to hurt your feelings

David Letterman would be proud!

As for the rules, I'm fine with them if everyone else is. However, I view this as a learning experience for anyone that wants to join. If someone with more experience than us wants to join in to try some new technique, I'm all for it. I think there were a couple of people in last year's KITH that had been making knives for some time but did something new.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Okay guys, it looks like this is going to happen!!!! So, I am going to start a new thread for the KITH. The first post will have the list of who's signed up to date, and the general guidelines and deadlines for the KITH.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Master

Count me in. I plan on distroying a lot of perfectly good metal between now and April and would love to get in on this. I've been practicing grinding on some mild steel and this is just what I need to get me to finally commit.....or get me committed, which ever comes first.

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Great Dave, you're in!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Living Legend

I'd like to join. It will be a trick juggling two KITH's, this & the kitchen.

Jim

Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcridSaint
I think that as long as someone is trying something new or considers themself a newbie they should be allowed in the KITH. If Ed Caffrey or Don Robinson or whoever else walks in here and says I want to make a knife, I don't want to be the guy that turns them down
I'm cool with that as long as i draw their name....LMAO
Old 12-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
David Letterman would be proud!

As for the rules, I'm fine with them if everyone else is. However, I view this as a learning experience for anyone that wants to join. If someone with more experience than us wants to join in to try some new technique, I'm all for it. I think there were a couple of people in last year's KITH that had been making knives for some time but did something new.
Of course more experienced makers can join in but they DON'T get to wear the official "Ham-Fisted, Steel-Mangling Newbie" T-shirt......I draw the line there. We'll make up some "Ringer Trying To Shame the New Guys Into Taking Up Free Form Ceramics Instead" shirts for them
Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Skilled

OK Guys Ihave been at this bout 3 years and still screw up more than i get right so if some body doesn't mind a sharpend crowbar stuck in a piece of cron cob I'm in

Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Welcome Stanley! I'll add your name to the list on the other thread.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knives