MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Hi guys! We've started a newbie KITH. Check out the thread here in the Newbie's Arena if you'd like to give it a try.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Enthusiast

I am also newbie, have got my hands on the shop equipment as am plannig on doing stock removal rather than forging. but need to get them set up and do a bit of maintenace.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Master

Welcome Andrew. You've found a great place to learn. There is a wealth of information on this forum and you'll never find a better goup of people!

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 12-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Enthusiast

I'm a newb I never got kits per say to assemble but have purchased blades and handled them 5 all togehter and made sheaths (some not very good looking) I have ground one from a broken Ind hacksaw blade wich I posted here the other day handled with osage. I have been collecting oddball knives nothing real expensive hunting ,millitary and bayonets I even have one a fella knapped out of obsidian and has a antler handle. Looking to expand my horizions dont know how good I'll do but gonna try hard anyhow.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

Talking I'm a newbie

I have been making swords and knives for a while now but nothing like most of the guys I'v come across in this forum. Just cut and grind method really. I havent done any forging of anykind. If I come out with a good piece to train with then I send it out to be tempered so it doesn't chip as easy. I have been training in Nunjutsu since I was 4 years old and have had some really nice blades/swords. I figure it would be time for me to start making my own stuff, with my own style. With the legalities of Hamilton ON. I have to make my own things(sheirkins,Nunchucks ect... Good luck with your pursuit of: 101 perfection

Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett
I still consider myself a noob, but perhaps a sophmore noob since this is my second year of trying to make steel look cool and cut stuff. I started in the spring of 05.

My next step is to fire up my newly aquired forge and start irritating the nieghbors with the sound of a hammer on steel.

I did participate in the newbie KITH and still find KITHs a great way to grow and explore in knifemaking. It's a chance to be creative without meeting the requests of a buyer who has placed an order.

For you makers who find design difficult (BeeBee), I'll share what I've learned any time. This is my favorite part (I come from a drawing background).

Some quick design basics (and I'm no expert):
I start all my handle lengths at 4 1/2" and adjust from there depending on design.
I allow 7/8" for a finger groove.
Tapered tangs are awesome for wieght reduction and asthetics, but it can make pinning the handle on a real bear sometimes.
Flat grinding is not easier than hollow grinding. What you learn first is usually easiest, so have your chosen grind type in mind when you draw out you design.
I avoid guards that extend above the spine (personal taste-gives good flow).
I avoid vertical lines such as where the handle ends at the ricasso (again, a flow thing).
I just like knives to look organic--like they grew in the hand that wields them.
It's a simple tool. A simple design works.
Have fun!

Hay Andrew I was just on your site. And man let me tell you I hope I can be just as good as you in sword making!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi guys I'm a newbee started making knives years ago.(not very good ones).stoped for about 20 years and floundered for about another 10.Only got serious about 2 years ago.The people on this site have been a world of help and inspiration.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives