MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester
I use an old ice chest to anneal in. The last time I annealed I actually shut it up in the hot forge that I had just turned off and let it all cool down together. Jayson, maybe I'm wrong, but it seem like you need some book learnin'. Get a book or two on the basics of knife making. Two that come to mind are "The Wonder of Knife Making" and "The $50 Knife Shop", both by Wayne Goddard. Another that is good, if you are going to be forging your blades, is "The Complete Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. If you're going to be doing stock removal there are some good books out there on that too. Get your reference material together and don't just read it, study it. I don't think that I have a book that I haven't read a half dozen times at least. I keep most of them on my bed for light reading (yes, I'm single). Keep in mind that, for the most part, there is no one correct way of doing things. Keep your mind open to other techniques and try to live in the solution and not the problem.
I use a medium sized galvanized steel trah can to anneal. As to the first question, the 1018 is great guard materiel, but after talking to Ed Caffrey, i paid the extra bucks to get some precision ground bar stock. He told me that ost of the rough stuff is made out of recycled gagbage and sometimes if you etch it, you can see the faint outline of a sheet metal screw or some other things.....lol

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives