MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Skilled

Heat Treatment Set Up Question

I was wondering which type of steel rod to use as the uprights on the firebricks that are used to set the knife packets in while they are being heat treated? I was thinking of just using some cheap 1/4 inch steel from the local steel yard but I wanted to ask first before I bought some, as I didn't want it to melt while heat treatment of my blades was going on.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Steel Addict

Your knife will melt before mild steel rods will. Increasing the carbon & alloy contents reduces the melting point for anything that we call "steel" as opposed to "cast iron."

You'll not be running anywere near that hot in a normal HT operation.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RJ Martin
No need to worry about melting, but, SS rods will hold up better WRT decarb.

I'm not a fan of the individual wrapped blades inserted upright between rods. I much prefer making a horizontal pack. this can be either a single blade, or multiple blades(all the same thickness). I lay the pack on a firebrick, which supports them 100% and provides great heat transfer into the steel. I cut two grooves in the support brick, which permits me to insert my "u" shaped shovel/spatula under the packet when it's time to take the packet to the quench plates. The advantage of this is that the "pizza man" technique is a lot less stressful than having to get a grip on the blades with tongs(I dropped a few in my earlier days!). Also, I don't like the idea of having to open the furnace door repeatedly when doing multiple blades. I have my blades out of the furnace in 5 seconds or less, and, they're between the plates 5 seconds after that!!!

Of course, this assumes you'll be press quenching, which is also my preferred method.

Try it, you might like it!

RJ Martin
Knifemaker
www.rjmartinknives.com

Tags
knife